Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Barney Dreyfuss auto, opinions request (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=113219)

bobbvc 06-13-2009 01:33 PM

Barney Dreyfuss auto, opinions request

Got some auto help on the June pickup thread and mentioned I was going to post this. Any comments appreciated.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2445/...4083ec25_b.jpg

prewarsports 06-13-2009 06:39 PM

I dont have my example handy, but from memory alone it looks authentic but will need to dig mine out.

Rhys

Jay Wolt 06-13-2009 07:26 PM

That's a fantastic piece. And its great that the pass is for Max Carey's wife to boot.

BillyCoxDodgers3B 06-13-2009 09:48 PM

Obviously a piece from the voluminous Carey estate which has been recycled on the market for years (fortunate for us--lots of interesting material contained within). When this piece originally hit the auction block, Dreyfuss' signature was hardly worth the paper it was printed on. Funny how things have changed. It still bothers me that Dreyfuss was inducted; I can't make any sense of it!

I knew a fellow named Howdy Groskloss who spoke very highly of Dreyfuss. Howdy got his start in baseball due to his father being close to Dreyfuss. Groskloss loved to play ball, but was also interested in pursuing a career in medicine. Hearing this, Dreyfuss actually encouraged Howdy to go the way of higher learning, even offering to pay for his tutelage. Groskloss eventually became a highly respected OB/GYN, serving as professor emeritus at a Florida university, and lived to be 100. I really haven't learned that much about Dreyfuss, but this particular story speaks volumes about the man.

Mark 06-14-2009 06:22 AM

[QUOTE=JBirkholm;729737]Obviously a piece from the voluminous Carey estate which has been recycled on the market for years (fortunate for us--lots of interesting material contained within). When this piece originally hit the auction block, Dreyfuss' signature was hardly worth the paper it was printed on. Funny how things have changed. It still bothers me that Dreyfuss was inducted; I can't make any sense of it! QUOTE]

What's so disturbing about putting "first division Barney" in the Hall? If they are going to induct executives, then it's reasonable to argue that Dreyfuss is in the same league with George Weiss, Ed Barrow, Larry MacPhail, Walter O'Malley, and Bill Veeck.

D. Broughman 06-14-2009 06:49 AM

Mrs. Max G. Carey

Is that a G. in MRS. Max G. Carey? His middle name was George. I'm not sure what do you think?

BillyCoxDodgers3B 06-14-2009 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark (Post 729769)
What's so disturbing about putting "first division Barney" in the Hall? If they are going to induct executives, then it's reasonable to argue that Dreyfuss is in the same league with George Weiss, Ed Barrow, Larry MacPhail, Walter O'Malley, and Bill Veeck.

I would think that MacPhail, O'Malley and Veeck are primarily recognized/remembered for their innovative ideas, whereas Weiss and Barrow were shoe-ins due to their association with the Yankees. Perhaps I was a little harsh in my initial assessment of Dreyfuss.

Mark 06-14-2009 08:44 AM

Jodi

Fair enough. I think that building a team that won 6 pennants in 30 years and never dropped into the second division during that time is pretty impressive. It's true that they dipped into the lower half once or twice after Honus quit, during the Howdy Glosskoss era. But starting the modern world series ranks up there with introducing night games, west coast travel, and midgets to baseball, if you ask me. All kidding aside, I am on my way to see the Pirates play Detroit for a "turn back the clock to 1909" game. Given the misery of the last 15 years, the Pirates are looking back to the glory days of the Dreyfuss regime. It keeps me going.
Mark

BillyCoxDodgers3B 06-14-2009 08:53 AM

I will also concede that Dreyfuss deserves his place in Cooperstown more so than O'Malley. I've always loved the Dodgers (of the Brooklyn variety). I wasn't even born when the team moved out west, but all of the heavily romanticized written tributes to the Bums have always made me wish that I could have wathced a game or ten at Ebbets.

Have fun at the game. I caught a bit of last night's matchup.