Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   1958 bell brand posters (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=110808)

Archive 08-05-2008 10:08 AM

1958 bell brand posters

Posted By: <b>larry</b><p>hi<br />looking for any information u may have

Archive 08-05-2008 09:40 PM

1958 bell brand posters

Posted By: <b>Anthony N.</b><p>There were 3 on ebay last week, I had a really high snipe on the Drysdale but the seller ended it early. He never responded so wasn't interested in hearing what I was willing to pay, but I"m sure it was well in excess of whatever he got.<br />Prior to this I"d only seen the Drysdale, and was the under bidder on that in Mastro a few years back.

Archive 08-07-2008 09:00 AM

1958 bell brand posters

Posted By: <b>larry</b><p>hi<br />might be willing to part with a gilliam bell brand poster without the white advertisement on bottom<br />larry

doug.goodman 01-28-2014 01:37 AM

4 Attachment(s)
This is definitely the oldest thread that I have ever dredged up, but I picked up these posters on ebay last week and am curious what info anybody has about them.

When I bought them I had no idea that they constituted possibly an entire "set", and although they are beat up, I am super happy with the purchase.

I'm contemplating taking the advice of Adam Warshaw in his "before/after poster" thread and contacting a company to mount them. Luckily for my wallet, I have zero interest in restoration, they are beautiful just how they are.

Their large (23 X 36) size means they will ultimately probably end up stacked with my uncut sheets on a shelf in my office, never to be seen again. Hahahaha.

According to the 2013 SCD catalog pdf I found via google, there are only these four, but the 2008 SCD pdf that I have on my laptop only lists the Drysdale, so I interpret that to mean there might be others. Anybody have any?

Doug

ALR-bishop 01-28-2014 05:34 AM

Bell Brand

Doug --I think you should get them authenticated by a professional grading company expert....;)

doug.goodman 01-28-2014 12:38 PM

Funny that you would say that Al, I'm in the car heading to a place where I can pay people for their opinions right now...

I also posted in the memorabilia section about these, figuring that it would get more attention :
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...51#post1233451

ALR-bishop 01-28-2014 02:46 PM

3d Party Opinions

Hope it goes well....for them

sflayank 01-28-2014 03:35 PM

bell brands

that was my set of 4 that sold in legendary
the other 4 players on sheets probably exist
dave kohler might have them

doug.goodman 01-30-2014 11:19 PM

Larry - For those of us too lazy to figure it out on our own, who are the other 4 players on sheets (that) probably exist?

ALR-bishop 01-31-2014 07:26 AM

Names

Sorry Doug, but you do not have sufficient clearance to have access to that information

sflayank 01-31-2014 09:28 PM

posters

the other 4 in the 58 bell brand set

Griffins 01-31-2014 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug.goodman (Post 1234506)
Larry - For those of us too lazy to figure it out on our own, who are the other 4 players on sheets (that) probably exist?

Cimoli, Snider, Podres, Koufax, Zimmer and Campy. There are 10 cards in the '58 set.

I picked up the posters of Gilliam and Drysdale in '10 from SCP for 726. and 1065 respectively. Both had a bit of wear on one side but otherwise very clean. Both had been offered previously with no takers, so I don't think the market is very strong for these, as nice as they are.

Congrats Doug, nice to get all the known ones in one fell swoop!

ALR-bishop 02-01-2014 07:00 AM

checklist

Darn that Anthony for his Snowden like revelation. At least Larry kept it coded :)

doug.goodman 02-02-2014 02:12 AM

Larry made reference to "4" other players on posters, so I interpreted that to mean that he knew some reason why 2 players did not have posters, since there are 6 other cards. Evidently he just counted wrong.

I've never quite understood why Koufax had a card in that set. His career record was 9 wins vs 10 losses while the team was in Brooklyn. It seems like Newcombe, Furillo & Erskine would have all been better choices.

Thanx, Anthony, and you're right about a weak market for these. I like that the market is weak for larger sized items, that's part of why I collect them.