Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   When Grading Companies Do Cross-Overs - Do They Notify the Old Company? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=88213)

Archive 12-31-2007 04:58 PM

When Grading Companies Do Cross-Overs - Do They Notify the Old Company?

Posted By: <b>Matt</b><p>I'm wondering if SGC/PSA notify the other to remove the card from their listing when you submit a slabbed card for cross-over. Otherwise, you could have people counting the card in their PSA set registry when it's not even in a PSA slab anymore, plus the number of rare cards that exist would be superficially inflated.

Archive 12-31-2007 05:25 PM

Posted By: <b>Phil Garry</b><p>I'm almost positive that they do not notify the previous grading company when a card is crossed over.

Archive 12-31-2007 05:30 PM

Posted By: <b>Joe D.</b><p>yes - they notify each other on crossovers (I heard SGC say they send the flips back to PSA).<br /><br /><br />and yes - the pop reports are still inflated (people crack out and cross - no way for the grading companies to know).

Archive 12-31-2007 06:02 PM

Posted By: <b>Eric B</b><p>Interesting. You could crack and cross over to obtain the same cards with a Set registry with 2 or more different companies

Archive 12-31-2007 06:13 PM

Posted By: <b>Matt</b><p>Eric - it's worse - you can hold a set in the registry and not own a single card in it - you could own a set by buying a card at a time, registering it, popping it out of the case submitting it again and selling it. You only ever own 1 card at a time, but you get to register the whole set.

Archive 01-01-2008 04:24 AM

Posted By: <b>Marc S.</b><p>although it happens (rarely), and it is theoretically possible to be a rampant problem....it takes a serious case of loser to register cert numbers on the Registry that no longer house cards...<br /><br />

Archive 01-01-2008 04:56 AM

Posted By: <b>Marty Ogelvie</b><p><P>I have many PSA cards but have never entered them into the registry.&nbsp; It is possible that they were once owned by someone who had them listed in the registry, perhaps they still do.&nbsp; What's to keep someone from selling a card but not removing it from the registry?&nbsp; </P><P>Other than population reports, what is the big whoopla about the registry?&nbsp;</P><br><br>martyOgelvie<br />nyyankeecards.com

Archive 01-01-2008 06:04 AM

Posted By: <b>Steve</b><p>Marty, there is a mechanism used by PSA to verify current ownership of a registry entry. They have six employees assigned to the massive task of keeping the registry up to date and legit. Fun job ehh?<br /><br />example; I sell you a card, you register it but are warned, via email, that the card is owned by me. I also recieve an email to either remove my entry or confirm ownership. You then get a reply that my card has been removed by me and now eligible for your set.<br /><br />

Archive 01-01-2008 06:11 AM

Posted By: <b>Matt</b><p>Steve - that only works if the card is sold in the PSA holder - if it is cracked and sold raw or reslabbed, PSA (or any other grading company) has no way of monitoring the validity of their registry.<br /><br />