Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Smokey packages (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=233718)

Snapolit1 01-11-2017 04:11 PM

Smokey packages

Have you ever ordered something from an eBay seller and upon opening it almost get knocked backwards from the smell of cigarette smoke? Has happened to me a number of times. I guess if your house/office reeks of cigarette smoke, your packages and packaging will as well. Seems like so few people smoke anymore that you notice things like this that would have gone completely unnoticed even a few decades ago. I've opened a few packages where I felt like someone was standing in front of me blowing smoke in my face.

bbcard1 01-11-2017 04:13 PM

I've bought a few collections like that. Shoebox size tucker tote, dryer sheet for a few days works wonders.

BruceinGa 01-11-2017 04:54 PM

I believe that's why many sellers advertise the item is from a smoke free home.

Jobu 01-11-2017 08:14 PM

From the title of this thread I am glad to see that it is about shipping :D

(I am also not sure why I checked)

brianp-beme 01-12-2017 11:48 AM

Smokey smell is inappropiate for candy cards

Over 15 years ago I purchased Zeenut cards from an ebay seller on a consistent basis for a period of over a year and half. The seller must have been at least a 2 pack a day smoker, because each plain white envelope with their paper towel wrapped cards, when opened, practically exuded smoke rings of pungent odor. To this day those cards still have a slight whiff of the cigarette about them.

I have to try the dryer sheet trick...thanks Todd.

Brian

Peter_Spaeth 01-12-2017 12:06 PM

Yeah there was a dealer in the 90s and 00s whose packages always reeked. A friend of mine and I joked (well half joked he may have been serious) that we had to air them out in the backyard before bringing them in and opening them.

ibuysportsephemera 01-12-2017 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbcard1 (Post 1619594)
I've bought a few collections like that. Shoebox size tucker tote, dryer sheet for a few days works wonders.

Todd, I have not had any luck doing this with publications. It seems that once the smoke soaks into the pages, it is impossible to get out.

Jeff

JustinD 01-12-2017 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera (Post 1619902)
Todd, I have not had any luck doing this with publications. It seems that once the smoke soaks into the pages, it is impossible to get out.

Jeff

I have had great luck with adding an Ozium gel canister to a sealed tub and leaving it for a few days with cards and books.

I have a friend who swears by adding about an inch of cedar chips (the pet aisle kind) to a tub and leaving the item in overnight. He says it works great. I have been scared the wood oils would affect things, but he states he has never had an issue and he lays them on the chips. I think I would suspend on a drying rack over the chips if I tried this.

JollyRoger 01-12-2017 07:39 PM

Are you buying T (tobacco) cards?

edjs 01-12-2017 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jobu (Post 1619655)
From the title of this thread I am glad to see that it is about shipping :D

(I am also not sure why I checked)

I thought it was a thread about Smoky Joe Wood.

h2oya311 01-13-2017 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edjs (Post 1620007)
I thought it was a thread about Smoky Joe Wood.

I thought it was going to be about about Smoky Joe Williams.

But yes, it's happened a few times to me and I am always amazed that the smell can "stick" to cardboard and packaging that well. Imagine how that smell sticks to the lungs. Ugh.

Exhibitman 01-13-2017 11:49 AM

Yeah it can get pretty disgusting. I actually had to return a lot of Exhibit cards I purchased because they reeked so badly of smoke and mildew that it made me sick.

Don't you also hate when there is a hair (hopefully from the head, but maybe not) suspended in the tape? :eek:

h2oya311 01-13-2017 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 1620164)
Yeah it can get pretty disgusting. I actually had to return a lot of Exhibit cards I purchased because they reeked so badly of smoke and mildew that it made me sick.

Don't you also hate when there is a hair (hopefully from the head, but maybe not) suspended in the tape? :eek:

haha! Yes...especially when they don't look like hair from the top of the head. I always hope it's just underarm hair :confused:

basesareempty 01-13-2017 12:18 PM

Always wondered why sellers cant keep their inventory and smoking away from each other! I don't even know anyone who smokes in their own house anymore. The few people I do know go outside. SMH!!