Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Team Bat Sets (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=239464)

perezfan 05-09-2017 01:25 AM

I just have "The Great Eight" from the 1975-76 Reds.

I have felt no need to go any further with it. Never felt compelled to collect Pitchers' Bats, or guys like Bill Plummer and Merv Rettenmund. Nothing at all against them... just not as meaningful, or on the same plane as the starters.

It all comes down to personal preference, I guess. Plus I had plenty of other ways to part with money at the time. :eek:

Dave Grob 05-09-2017 07:06 AM

Team Bat Sets

Mark,

Interesting that bring up the 1975-1976 Reds. Very popular team set, consistent starters for both years and no shortage of those bats (Not that they are cheap). But what you may be forced to go after really depends on the team.

80% of a 162 game schedule is 130 games. Every one of the “The Great Eight” hit that 80% threshold for both the 1975 and 1976 seasons. But with other clubs, it’s not always so clean.

Consider the 1969 New York Mets, another very popular team set. For those largely recognized as starters for that club, only Cleon Jones and Tommy Agee hit the 80% mark. The 1969 Mets had 11 position players with over 100 games.

Dave Grob

Bpm0014 05-09-2017 07:46 AM

1. What team? T206 set.
2. Why you picked it? Love the players associated with the T206 set.
3. Toughest bat of the set (NOT the most expensive)? Most are impossible.
4. Was there one that got away? Recently in REA, Wildfire Schulte went for $13,200 with the juice. Insane!
5. How close are you? I have about 30 with one duplicate (Harry Davis). So not close at all!

Dave Grob 05-09-2017 07:51 AM

Team Set

I think we can close the thread. I don't think we are going to find a more interesting or challenging team bat set than the "T206" set.

Dave Grob

Mark 05-09-2017 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Grob (Post 1659486)
Mark,

Interesting that bring up the 1975-1976 Reds. Very popular team set, consistent starters for both years and no shortage of those bats (Not that they are cheap). But what you may be forced to go after really depends on the team.

80% of a 162 game schedule is 130 games. Every one of the “The Great Eight” hit that 80% threshold for both the 1975 and 1976 seasons. But with other clubs, it’s not always so clean.

Consider the 1969 New York Mets, another very popular team set. For those largely recognized as starters for that club, only Cleon Jones and Tommy Agee hit the 80% mark. The 1969 Mets had 11 position players with over 100 games.

Dave Grob

I would usually be OK with the starting lineup, but this would include platoon players (e.g. Clendenon and Kranepool). And when a role player like Al Weis makes an important contribution in a playoff game or world series, then I don't think a set would not be complete without it. For example, I have been going after the 1925 Pirates bats, and I would love to add a Stuffy McInnis to it. He wasn't a regular, but he had a big hit in game 7. But I don't think that bat will ever be available.

jcmtiger 05-09-2017 10:49 AM

Detroit Tigers World Series Black bats.

Bugsy 05-09-2017 10:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The 1924 St. Paul Saints.

I have been working on a Saints collection for a long time now. My initial interest began almost 25 years ago when my father and I found some old ticket stubs of games my grandfather went to in the early 20s. 1924 was particularly interesting because the Saints won the Junior World Series that year.

They are extremely obscure. I have 8 or 9 from the players from the team so far. First of all, it wouldn't surprise me if most of the players on the team didn't even have their own model bats. Secondly, who back in 1920s would have saved broken bats of no-name players? Superstars will always command top dollar, but their must be dozens of Babe Ruth used bats out there for every Bruno Haas bat. Most of my bats survived because they are Hillerich vault bats.

I missed out on two bats so far. Nick Allen and Oscar Roettger. Making it more difficult, many of the Saints played for the 1920s Yankees teams. 12 of the 1927 Yankees played for the Saints. That might sound like a cool historical footnote, but it is a massive pain in the ass when you're a collector.

It is a set that is impossible to complete, but the search is the best part.

Chris

Bugsy 05-09-2017 10:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a ball from the 1924 Junior World Series. The scores from the first three games were recorded on the ball.

Lefty Grove was pitching for the Orioles that series.

Dave Grob 05-09-2017 12:07 PM

Team Bat Sets

I missed out on two bats so far. Nick Allen and Oscar Roettger.

Don't hate me, but I had a Nick Allen bat at one time as part of my 1919 Reds collection. I gifted it to an individual who helped me land a jersey I was after.

Dave Grob

ooo-ribay 05-09-2017 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Grob (Post 1659497)
I think we can close the thread. I don't think we are going to find a more interesting or challenging team bat set than the "T206" set.

Dave Grob

Nah. 1993 SF Giants are more interesting! :p