Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Color tinting on 1940 Playball cards. (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=253133)

rgurtowski 03-28-2018 01:39 PM

Color tinting on 1940 Playball cards.

I've got a 1940 Playball pink tint on the left foot sock area of a Mel Ott card. Is it a printer's error, a mark/stain, or was the early production of the Playball's, tinted?

paul 03-29-2018 06:36 PM

There are a few examples of color tinted 1940 Play Balls. I have the Stengel. The tinting is fairly subtle - the card is largely still black and white. They were listed in the Standard Catalog back in the day as some sort of experiment or proof. I don't believe Ott was on the list, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Can you post a scan?

Leon 03-31-2018 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul (Post 1762512)
There are a few examples of color tinted 1940 Play Balls. I have the Stengel. The tinting is fairly subtle - the card is largely still black and white. They were listed in the Standard Catalog back in the day as some sort of experiment or proof. I don't believe Ott was on the list, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Can you post a scan?

I have seen a few too and they are pretty cool looking.

cardinalcollector 03-31-2018 10:00 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I've been sitting on these for a few years. I believe them both to be the "colorized" versions. The stripes on the hats, socks, numbers and sleeves are just too "neat" to be hand colored. A black light doesn't show any issues either. I've only seen a handful on internet searches, and all were unique.

paul 03-31-2018 12:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my Stengel.

Chris Counts 04-01-2018 08:32 AM

2 Attachment(s)
These are somewhat controversial. I picked up seven of them about 10 years ago at a San Francisco show. All were commons but Stengel, which I believe is the one posted above. They were in a major dealer's bargain bin and priced at $5 each. I assumed some kid colored them with crayons or watercolors (as did the dealer), but when I got home and looked at them up close, I could see at least some of the color was too precise for that. It wasn't easy getting one graded, but I was successful. PSA turned me down, so I went to SGC. They were resistant, but I convinced them to take one card (the Demaree) back to New Jersey and do whatever it took — even it if meant destroying the card — to prove the color was part of a printing process. A couple months later, I received my card back in an SGC 60 holder marked "color proof."

By the way, every one I've seen so far is a National Leaguer, and I haven't seen a duplicate ...

jdl7860 04-01-2018 09:42 PM

I've seen the OP's card in person and it looks like Randy's example. The color is magenta and is neatly drawn in the jersey piping. It looks printed and not at all like it was added. It is off to PSA though, so no scan available at the moment.

rgurtowski 04-21-2018 12:10 PM

Psa

The Mel Ott card graded at a 3 (MK). Guess, I will try SGC.

LuckyLarry 04-21-2018 02:24 PM

I have a trimmed 1939 Play Ball that seems to be color tinted. I always thought it was legit?
Larry

http://www.net54baseball.com/picture...ictureid=24343

conor912 04-21-2018 05:51 PM

Wow. These are cool...never seen 'em!

CobbSpikedMe 05-05-2018 10:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I thought this might be related. I have this W572 that has similar red tinting to these Playballs and thought someone might be interested to see it.

Thanks,

AndyH

rgurtowski 05-14-2018 10:27 AM

Ott card

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my card - the mark is on his left foot. Of course, PSA graded with a (MK), even though I requested no qualifiers. Should I send to SGC for a possible pre-production run request? I understand some tinting was due to pre-production run errors.

Exhibitman 05-14-2018 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgurtowski (Post 1776643)
Here's my card - the mark is on his left foot. Of course, PSA graded with a (MK), even though I requested no qualifiers. Should I send to SGC for a possible pre-production run request? I understand some tinting was due to pre-production run errors.

is the bat barrel yellow?

SMPEP 05-15-2018 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe (Post 1773494)
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I thought this might be related. I have this W572 that has similar red tinting to these Playballs and thought someone might be interested to see it.

Thanks,

AndyH

You were right! I've never seen that one!

Very interesting.

Cheers,
Patrick

Leon 05-17-2018 03:06 PM

I dunno but it's cool looking!!
Quote:

Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe (Post 1773494)

Thanks,

AndyH