Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Baseball Nicknames given to children (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=200310)

bn2cardz 01-22-2015 09:14 AM

Baseball Nicknames given to children

I have two boys and, though neither of them were named after baseball players, I have associated their names with players and seem to use the nicknames for them at times.

I have a son named Peter, and though his name was Pete Alexander (not Peter), I call my son Grover. An interesting tidbit: I did ask my wife about Mordecai (from the Bible) when coming up with names , but she wasn't a big fan... Mordecai Brown's middle name is Peter, so it kinda worked its way out :D.

Also Gordon I call Mickey at times in association with Mickey Cochrane.

Does anyone else have a tendency to allow baseball names bleed over into your personal life?

packs 01-22-2015 09:46 AM

If I ever have sons I want to name them Gehrig and Mattingly.

kengoldin 01-22-2015 10:13 AM

My daughters middle name is Ruth

drcy 01-22-2015 10:18 AM

I have a dog named Henry and I sometimes refer to him as 'Hammerin' Hank.'

frankbmd 01-22-2015 10:19 AM

I used to play golf with a guy named Stan. His middle name was Musial. I don't remember his last name, but he had a brother named Tim whose middle name was McCarver. There was a third brother as well, who also had a Cardinal name, but I can't recall which one, so I will not guess.

D.P.Johnson 01-22-2015 10:36 AM

I have a friend whose first and middle name is Johnny Walker, and his brothers first and middle name is Jack Daniels...I'm not kidding...I realize that's a little off topic but....whatever...:)....Sometimes when my wife gets mad she looks a little like Yogi Berra...:eek:

ErikV 01-22-2015 10:40 AM

Re: Baseball Nicknames given to children

Not a nickname, but a birth name. I named my son Ryan after
my favorite baseball player, Nolan Ryan.

ErikV

gregr2 01-22-2015 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D.P.Johnson (Post 1370203)
...Sometimes when my wife gets mad she looks a little like Yogi Berra...:eek:

I hope she doesn't read this...

Fred 01-22-2015 10:41 AM

I bet you call him Grover because the wife makes you do it because it's the name of a Sesame Street character (rather than being named after Ole Pete himself). There's no shame in admitting the wife wears the pants. I borrow my pants every once in a while then run and cower in shame with my tale between my legs when the wife takes them back...

Shoeless Moe 01-22-2015 11:27 AM

sorry NHL, not MLB

Years ago I tried to score a fast one past the wife, and wanted to name my boy Jagr after Jaromir Jagr(who is still going at 43 mind u).....but she wouldn't bite.......she did however agree to Jacek.......and I did slip it past the goalie in the end, as the boys 1st 2 intials of his 1st name and last name combine to spell Jagr.

bn2cardz 01-22-2015 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred (Post 1370211)
I bet you call him Grover because the wife makes you do it because it's the name of a Sesame Street character (rather than being named after Ole Pete himself). There's no shame in admitting the wife wears the pants. I borrow my pants every once in a while then run and cower in shame with my tale between my legs when the wife takes them back...

She doesn't call him anything other than Petey or Peter. So it really doesn't pertain to her. These are nicknames I just use at random.

Plus I already stated she shot down the Mordecai name so obviously she does have a lot of say in what happens. Also the Grover character on Sesame Street is rarely even on there anymore... at least the episodes I have been watching.

darwinbulldog 01-22-2015 11:41 AM

At one point Mathewson was at the top of my baby name list, but my wife and I ended up finding a name that we both liked and which I'm pretty sure no one in the majors has ever had as a first, middle, or last name.

My dog is named Walter, but he's named after the dog in the novel Portuguese Irregular Verbs, not for the pitcher. Still, it was cool to see him wake up and look at the TV when Walter Johnson was mentioned in the Ken Burns documentary.

kkkkandp 01-22-2015 11:41 AM

For years I have called my son (he's 31 now) Knucklehead. Affectionately, of course. No particular reason. Just seemed like a good idea at the time. :D

darwinbulldog 01-22-2015 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred (Post 1370211)

I sometimes call my son Rosenthal, after Kermit the Frog's alter ego adopted to visit Miss Piggy in prison in The Great Muppet Caper.

But I guess we've all done that.

Howe’s Hunter 01-22-2015 11:56 AM

To expand on Ryan's post

I had a fellow co-worker with two sons. One named Nolan, the second named Ryan.

chipperhank44 01-22-2015 01:20 PM

My son's name is Tristan, Tris for short (Wife wouldn't agree to Tristram), after the great Tris Speaker

edjs 01-22-2015 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe (Post 1370254)
Years ago I tried to score a fast one past the wife, and wanted to name my boy Jagr after Jaromir Jagr(who is still going at 43 mind u).....but she wouldn't bite.......she did however agree to Jacek.......and I did slip it past the goalie in the end, as the boys 1st 2 intials of his 1st name and last name combine to spell Jagr.

My son's middle name is Constantine. My wife says it is after the emperor, but to me it is after Vladimir Konstantinov, my favorite Red Wing. I joked with my wife that I wanted to name him Gordie Howe, she said no, then Pavel Datsyuk, again no. I won't call him Connie, though I thought about it.

btcarfagno 01-22-2015 02:30 PM

Does it count if I call my Johnson "The Big Train"?

Just kidding.

Maybe.....

Tom C

Shoeless Moe 01-22-2015 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edjs (Post 1370338)
My son's middle name is Constantine. My wife says it is after the emperor, but to me it is after Vladimir Konstantinov, my favorite Red Wing. I joked with my wife that I wanted to name him Gordie Howe, she said no, then Pavel Datsyuk, again no. I won't call him Connie, though I thought about it.

He had the best 2 nicknames: Vlad the Impaler and the Vladinator!!!!!

slidekellyslide 01-22-2015 02:44 PM

I tried to get my wife to name our first child "Mordecai Peter Centennial Brown"...we settled on Nick. My daughter is named Addie after Addie Joss, but my wife doesn't know that.

Shoeless Moe 01-22-2015 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btcarfagno (Post 1370356)
Does it count if I call my Johnson "The Big Train"?

Just kidding.

Maybe.....

Tom C

better than nicknaming it after Stump Merrill

kkkkandp 01-22-2015 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe (Post 1370362)
better than nicknaming it after Stump Merrill

Or Wee Willie Keeler!:D

Bocabirdman 01-22-2015 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D.P.Johnson (Post 1370203)
I have a friend whose first and middle name is Johnny Walker, and his brothers first and middle name is Jack Daniels...I'm not kidding...I realize that's a little off topic but....whatever...:)....Sometimes when my wife gets mad she looks a little like Yogi Berra...:eek:

I know a pair of brothers with the first and middle names of William Bonney and Jesse James. I am not sure what their folks were thinking......

EvilKing00 01-22-2015 04:05 PM

My sons name is joseph, not after any player but i call my wife babe. Over 10 years we are together and I have rarely caller her by her name and when i do its sounds strange. I do love collecting anything babe ruth, pretty odd, this thread has opend my eyes