Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Let's All Remember Thurman Munson Today... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=226331)

JollyElm 08-02-2016 04:38 AM

Let's All Remember Thurman Munson Today...

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 239888

Thirty seven years ago we New Yorkers, we baseball fans, we human beings lost the Captain way too soon. Sure, it was said #15 was a curmudgeon and a bit of a grouch to people around him, but he was also a freakin' skilled and tough as nails leader who led the Yanks to three straight World Series appearances and two championships. As long as I live, I will never ever forget getting the heartbreaking news on that hot August day. His loss still saddens me to my very core. I'm sure many others share these same feelings.

Continue to rest in peace, Thurm.

Leon 08-02-2016 06:13 AM

We lost him way too soon.

gnaz01 08-02-2016 06:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Says it all right here.........

Snapolit1 08-02-2016 06:35 AM

Was a Met fan, so Thurman meant little to me as a player, but I can still remember the devastating feeling " . . . a baseball player can die all of a sudden? Like that?" Major dose of reality to a 15 year old kid.

jmb 08-02-2016 06:51 AM

The Captain

My favorite player as a kid. Remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when heard the news on the radio. Still makes me sad.

SAllen2556 08-02-2016 06:52 AM

You older guys might need a magnifying glass....sorry.

http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps4e6c1de4.jpg
http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps8ca5dfbd.jpg

moeson 08-02-2016 08:27 AM

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/...psbnt8dhjc.jpg

Joshchisox08 08-02-2016 09:34 AM

Well before my time but I've always wondered. Why isn't he or has he ever been considered to be elected to the HOF. Pretty solid numbers an MVP, a ROY, and the World Series wins.

Certainly the numbers as a catcher would be a strong point as an Outfielder with those numbers probably wouldn't get the time of day. But his career was cut short no doubt.

Shoeless Moe 08-02-2016 09:43 AM

August 3 1979 Yankee Stadium Tribute the next day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7Yhptax06I

clydepepper 08-02-2016 10:53 AM

He may not have been the 'straw that stirred the drink', but he was the heart and soul of the great Yankees teams of his day.

I think he should be in the hall but is not because he played during the prime of Bench and Fisk and comes off, at least from a offensive statistical standpoint, as short of their standards. His candidacy also suffers due to his poor relationship with the media - those who have votes.

I'm not sure if he would benefit from the players getting votes- not sure how his fellow players viewed him...anyone have a handle on that?

Peace to you, Thurman

Thanks for playing hard every day!

Harliduck 08-02-2016 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1567674)
Was a Met fan, so Thurman meant little to me as a player, but I can still remember the devastating feeling " . . . a baseball player can die all of a sudden? Like that?" Major dose of reality to a 15 year old kid.

That is exactly how I felt. I was 9 years old and visiting my grandma with my little 7 year old brother when it was announced. I was shocked and didn't understand. My grandma helped me buy a bunch of local newspapers and we went to Hallmark and she bought me a blank scrapbook. I pasted the articles and a bunch of his cards into that scrapbook and wrote all my 9 year old thoughts on the subject. I still have that scrapbook, found it in the attic a month or so ago and read through it. I got a kick out of some of my comments I wrote after reading that he was sort of belligerent...I obviously had no idea at 9 he had any type of attitude and it bothered me people were writing about that. To me he was a YANKEE and an amazing catcher I got to see on TV every once in a while and I loved his cards.

RIP Thurman...

D. Bergin 08-02-2016 11:07 AM

I was 8 years old and remember it like it was yesterday. Every Saturday afternoon during baseball season in that period of my life was spent at my Grandparents house watching Yankee games with my Grandfather, Dad and Uncles.

Got to see him play at Yankee Stadium at least once before he passed. I still remember Thurman hitting a foul ball completely out of the stadium, and me in my young naivete, looking for that foul ball outside when we left the park after the game.

58pinson 08-02-2016 11:40 AM

Man, has it been that long? I spent two decades working as a shipping manager for a mens clothing company located in North Jersey and the owners we very tight with lots of big name athletes. They would always bring them out to the factory to shake hands and say hello. Thurman Munson lived literally around the corner from the place and came by on many occasions. Having met him in the flesh several times I was always shocked that such an unprepossessing guy could go out and play with such skill and enthusiasm. The news of his death cast a pall over the place for some time. This thread is a real nice idea - take a minute or so and think back on a ballplayer gone way too early. Thirty-seven years? Hard to accept.

ullmandds 08-02-2016 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harliduck (Post 1567741)
That is exactly how I felt. I was 9 years old and visiting my grandma with my little 7 year old brother when it was announced. I was shocked and didn't understand. My grandma helped me buy a bunch of local newspapers and we went to Hallmark and she bought me a blank scrapbook. I pasted the articles and a bunch of his cards into that scrapbook and wrote all my 9 year old thoughts on the subject. I still have that scrapbook, found it in the attic a month or so ago and read through it. I got a kick out of some of my comments I wrote after reading that he was sort of belligerent...I obviously had no idea at 9 he had any type of attitude and it bothered me people were writing about that. To me he was a YANKEE and an amazing catcher I got to see on TV every once in a while and I loved his cards.

RIP Thurman...

same here...I was 9...I was/am a yankees fan and munson was my fave! I made a scrapbook when he was died...I still have it. He was supposed to attend lou pinella baseball camp that I attended. We were all given a large photo montage autographed by all attendees...except thurman.

I'm thankful I got to see him play at the stadium many times before he passed. And I will always cherish my foul ball I caught at the 78 world series...that thurman handled.

RIP #15.

CMIZ5290 08-02-2016 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1567764)
same here...I was 9...I was/am a yankees fan and munson was my fave! I made a scrapbook when he was died...I still have it. He was supposed to attend lou pinella baseball camp that I attended. We were all given a large photo montage autographed by all attendees...except thurman.

I'm thankful I got to see him play at the stadium many times before he passed. And I will always cherish my foul ball I caught at the 78 world series...that thurman handled.

RIP #15.

Pete- I'll pay you for that foul ball!! Munson was a class act, and one of my all time favorites. When you are talking about stars taken away from life way too early, any sports, there is Munson and Clemente....Both class acts, what a shame it was for such a short period....

Snapolit1 08-02-2016 05:49 PM

Kevin - not trying to pick a fight, but Munson in the same breath as Clemente as a "class act"? Mmmmm. Munson was tough as nails. He was also -- quite admittedly - surly most of the time and never went out of his way for fans or sportswriters. Not saying he was a bad person, but I've heard my whole life he was a great teammate but not warm and fuzzy dude or someone doing was Clemente was doing.

CMIZ5290 08-02-2016 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1567883)
Kevin - not trying to pick a fight, but Munson in the same breath as Clemente as a "class act"? Mmmmm. Munson was tough as nails. He was also -- quite admittedly - surly most of the time and never went out of his way for fans or sportswriters. Not saying he was a bad person, but I've heard my whole life he was a great teammate but not warm and fuzzy dude or someone doing was Clemente was doing.

Steve- yes, perhaps, but there is always more to the story. Yes, Clemente was the man. Both were great guys, and by the way, I have heard stories about Clemente avoiding autographs and media......Just for the record....

Snapolit1 08-02-2016 06:10 PM

I don't doubt that. They are complex people just like all of us. The unique heartbreaking circumstances of Clemente's terrible death has obviously put his memory into the realm of more mythical than real life, ordinary man warts and all.