Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   PWCC first 1 sticker, then 2, now 3 different? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=268492)

swarmee 04-29-2019 03:33 PM

PWCC first 1 sticker, then 2, now 3 different?

https://forums.collectors.com/discus...-pwcc-stickers
So if you had a PQ or a HE do you have to send it back to them for a new sticker?

https://www.pwccmarketplace.com/eye-appeal

Surprised there's no discussion here about it.

buymycards 04-29-2019 03:54 PM

Stickers

1 Attachment(s)
Most of my cards have this sticker:

Peter_Spaeth 04-29-2019 03:56 PM

Oy. And to continue in Yiddish, genug ist genug.

And now in English. Too many gimmicks. With due respect, who made PWCC the arbiter of eye appeal? Put up a large, quality scan -- which they do -- and let people judge. But people must care, and they're laughing all the way to the bank.

Republicaninmass 04-29-2019 04:06 PM

DSA

Definately
Shilled
Auction

robkas68 04-29-2019 04:10 PM

Need 4th sticker

The 4th sticker has to be PWCC-WTF....Like how the hell did that get an 8 when it seems like all 4 borders are a little small and the card looks a lot like that psa 4 that sold last year.

Peter_Spaeth 04-29-2019 04:13 PM

Who here cares what PWCC says about a card in the form of a sticker? Come forward and confess.:)

oldjudge 04-29-2019 04:40 PM

A guy I know is selling a PSA 10 WNBA rookie card through PWCC. If they can do well with that then I will start to believe that they are truely miracle workers.

iowadoc77 04-29-2019 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1873755)
Who here cares what PWCC says about a card in the form of a sticker? Come forward and confess.:)

Doesn’t matter one bit how we feel. Watch the bidding. It will tell how people feel.

Peter_Spaeth 04-29-2019 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iowadoc77 (Post 1873771)
Doesn’t matter one bit how we feel. Watch the bidding. It will tell how people feel.

Who are these sheep?:eek:

ullmandds 04-29-2019 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1873783)
Who are these sheep?:eek:

the "investors" silly!!!!

pokerplyr80 04-29-2019 05:52 PM

Quote:

I sure do if it's my consignment.

Peter_Spaeth 04-29-2019 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1873785)
the "investors" silly!!!!

Pete, I guess. So we now need opinions (of folks who disclaim that they are graders) superimposed on grades. I loathe the circus we seem to have now. Of course this isn't as bad as the trimmed card circus mentioned in other threads, but it's bad enough.

Peter_Spaeth 04-29-2019 06:12 PM

Kid, you gotta get a gimmick
If you wanna get ahead

Republicaninmass 04-29-2019 06:16 PM

PWCC the lunch box

PWCC the breakfast cereal

PWCC the flame thrower

The real money is in merchandising

iowadoc77 04-29-2019 06:23 PM

Next time they will be seeking a higher percentage of hammer price for those designated by stickers. An even more tiered consignment pricing system.

iowadoc77 04-29-2019 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Republicaninmass (Post 1873797)
PWCC the lunch box

PWCC the breakfast cereal

PWCC the flame thrower

The real money is in merchandising

I don’t care who you are. That’s funny! Gotta love a good Spaceballs reference. Well done.

ullmandds 04-29-2019 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iowadoc77 (Post 1873801)
I don’t care who you are. That’s funny! Gotta love a good Spaceballs reference. Well done.

i really need to see "this spaceballs!"

Throttlesteer 04-29-2019 06:46 PM

This thread gets a Net54 - A. for asinine

iowadoc77 04-29-2019 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1873803)
i really need to see "this spaceballs!"

You haven’t seen Spaceballs? Only one of the all time classics.

ullmandds 04-29-2019 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iowadoc77 (Post 1873809)
You haven’t seen Spaceballs? Only one of the all time classics.

So i’ve heard!

egbeachley 04-30-2019 04:13 AM

I read a few posts. My favorite was......

“These stickers are getting ridiculous. They need to stick with HE and PQ”

Republicaninmass 04-30-2019 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by egbeachley (Post 1873880)
I read a few posts. My favorite was......

“These stickers are getting ridiculous. They need to stick with HE and PQ”

Nobody uses stickers anymore, there's too many on the slab already

vintagetoppsguy 04-30-2019 08:54 AM

Quote:

There are many, many collectors that NEED someone else's opinion on their card in order to make them feel all warm and fuzzy about their purchase. Isn't that what grading is all about?

Personally, I don't care what PSA, SGC, PSA/DNA, JSA, BVG, BAS, PWCC, blah, blah, blah, has to say about any item I own. I have more personal experience than ANY of them.

Don't get me wrong, Peter, I actually agree with what you're saying. However, I just don't see how you can bemoan collectors that pay more money for a PWCC sticker, but don't have the same sentiment for someone willing to pay more money for some other TPG sticker or flip?

Both (PWCC or any TPG) are selling an opinion. I don't see a difference.

Peter_Spaeth 04-30-2019 09:13 AM

David I guess the difference for me is that, for better or worse, TPG has become an industry standard and with all its flaws does make it easier and at least somewhat safer to buy in the internet age. For a clearly interested seller to be adding its own stickers, though, strikes me as a complete gimmick but obviously for whatever reason people are obviously willing to pay for it. It seems there are people out there who will just follow wherever PWCC leads them. Some of the stickered cards sell for crazy premiums and I suspect at least part of that price goes beyond the merit of the cards and the fact of the sticker is responsible.

BTW as has been pointed out, the potential for preferential treatment is pretty obvious.

I do understand your point, but in my mind this is far more pointless than TPG.

D. Bergin 04-30-2019 09:18 AM

Stickers! Stickers! I hate stickers! Even with strawberries.

vintagebaseballcardguy 04-30-2019 09:40 AM

Are the newest stickers at least scratch and sniff? :p

Touch'EmAll 04-30-2019 09:59 AM

I was recently the high bid on a PWCC card. Couldn't believe it as all my other PWCC bids always get blown out of the water. The card I won has absolutely perfect centering (to my eye anyway), no tilt cut, no print dots/blips, nice sharp corners, clean back. However, no sticker of any kind - must be the reason my reasonable bid was high. Haha. What a gimmick.

steve

vintagetoppsguy 04-30-2019 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1873929)
David I guess the difference for me is that, for better or worse, TPG has become an industry standard and with all its flaws does make it easier and at least somewhat safer to buy in the internet age. For a clearly interested seller to be adding its own stickers, though, strikes me as a complete gimmick but obviously for whatever reason people are obviously willing to pay for it. It seems there are people out there who will just follow wherever PWCC leads them. Some of the stickered cards sell for crazy premiums and I suspect at least part of that price goes beyond the merit of the cards and the fact of the sticker is responsible.

BTW as has been pointed out, the potential for preferential treatment is pretty obvious.

I do understand your point, but in my mind this is far more pointless than TPG.

I agree. It's a gimmick, but their buyers have bought into the gimmick. PWCC is the sheepherder and they have a lot of blind sheep that follow them. The sticker is just another way to increase their profit, but can you really blame them? If they have buyers willing to pay extra for that silly sticker, all power to them.

In my opinion though PWCC is really missing the boat on gimmicks. They should start their OWN grading company if they really want to maximize sales. Can you imagine how much market share they could take away from the other TPGs? Then they could even use their stickers on the really high end cards and make even more $ :D

darwinbulldog 04-30-2019 10:18 AM

Shouldn't the PWCC-A sticker be on, y'know, 30% of the cards in their auction? Did they run out of stickers?

ALR-bishop 04-30-2019 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Throttlesteer (Post 1873807)
This thread gets a Net54 - A. for asinine

Do you give stickers with your reviews ?

Peter_Spaeth 04-30-2019 10:22 AM

The increase in profit probably comes equally from inducing people to consign to them in the hopes of getting one of those stickers. Why sell a card yourself when PWCC can magically churn so much extra value out of it. I agree, David, it's good marketing, it just offends me because the whole premise is so stupid.

darwinbulldog 04-30-2019 10:31 AM

It's a slippery slope. Soon they'll be telling us to buy the card not the holder.

steve B 04-30-2019 10:51 AM

Quote:

All I'll confess to is complete and utter indifference. :D

I assume there's a legal term for that, but I don't know it.

I'm not good with languages, but could rephrase that in a few Boston area dialects if I didn't know kids read this. (Always helps to know if you're just being made sport of or if it's time to run. )

ullmandds 04-30-2019 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1873949)
The increase in profit probably comes equally from inducing people to consign to them in the hopes of getting one of those stickers. Why sell a card yourself when PWCC can magically churn so much extra value out of it. I agree, David, it's good marketing, it just offends me because the whole premise is so stupid.

So as most auction houses are doing these days...buying their own cards and putting in their own auctions...does this become an issue or is it already...when they are "stickering" their own submissions to increase their bottom line...and is their criteria for "Stickering" their own submissions less strict than their "Stickering" of others submissions?????

I'm in sticker shock!

bobbyw8469 04-30-2019 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 1873941)
I agree. It's a gimmick, but their buyers have bought into the gimmick. PWCC is the sheepherder and they have a lot of blind sheep that follow them. The sticker is just another way to increase their profit, but can you really blame them? If they have buyers willing to pay extra for that silly sticker, all power to them.

In my opinion though PWCC is really missing the boat on gimmicks. They should start their OWN grading company if they really want to maximize sales. Can you imagine how much market share they could take away from the other TPGs? Then they could even use their stickers on the really high end cards and make even more $ :D

Agreed David....and if they REALLY wanted to maximize profits...GET OFF OF EBAY!!! Bruce Herishon(sp?) did it with his movie posters. Have their own website with their own auction platform built into it. They have a big enough following, do they REALLY need Ebay??

Peter_Spaeth 04-30-2019 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 1873961)
All I'll confess to is complete and utter indifference. :D

I assume there's a legal term for that, but I don't know it.

I'm not good with languages, but could rephrase that in a few Boston area dialects if I didn't know kids read this. (Always helps to know if you're just being made sport of or if it's time to run. )

I think the legal term at least in Boston would be wicked stupid.

ValKehl 04-30-2019 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1873968)
Agreed David....and if they REALLY wanted to maximize profits...GET OFF OF EBAY!!! Bruce Herishon(sp?) did it with his movie posters. Have their own website with their own auction platform built into it. They have a big enough following, do they REALLY need Ebay??

I'd be surprised if PWCC doesn't already have plans to do this in the not too distant future.

Throttlesteer 04-30-2019 04:08 PM

This is their way to be a TPG without being a TPG. If the started stabbing, it would look even more like a conflict of interest

pokerplyr80 04-30-2019 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1873949)

The premise makes sense to me. Whatever your opinion of Brent and PWCC, he sells 1000s of cards a month, including many high end examples. Him saying a particular card is among the top 5 or 15% in terms of eye appeal for that card at that grade means something. Clearly many buyers agree. And if I know my card has eye appear that exceeds the grade why wouldn't I send it there if I assume it will get a sticker? It will net more after fees than I could sell it for on my own.

Republicaninmass 04-30-2019 04:40 PM

:cool:
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1873968)

Yes they do need Ebay. Inexperienced buyers and consignors are their target audience.

Touch'EmAll 04-30-2019 04:44 PM

Y'know, over the years of seeing a lot of slabbed cards, I agree not all cards within a single grade are created equal. Most fall within acceptable norm, some are honestly high end for the grade, but also...some are honestly low end for the grade - when do we get the stickers for those ?

Peter_Spaeth 04-30-2019 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1874035)
The premise makes sense to me. Whatever your opinion of Brent and PWCC, he sells 1000s of cards a month, including many high end examples. Him saying a particular card is among the top 5 or 15% in terms of eye appeal for that card at that grade means something. Clearly many buyers agree. And if I know my card has eye appear that exceeds the grade why wouldn't I send it there if I assume it will get a sticker? It will net more after fees than I could sell it for on my own.

With due respect to Brent, I can judge eye appeal for myself, thank you. And I bet you can too. It's utterly meaningless.

swarmee 04-30-2019 04:46 PM

Remember they pay a very small fee compared to the rest of ebayers. Taking them off the medium would be a huge negative as far in concerned. However, it *might* make it easier for them to vet bidders and reduce shilling, if they were so inclined.

itslarry 05-01-2019 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1874042)
With due respect to Brent, I can judge eye appeal for myself, thank you. And I bet you can too. It's utterly meaningless.

Just like all TPA's!
Foolish people trusting psa makes me laugh.
At least pwcc wasnt founded on one of, if not the, biggwst scams in card history.

chalupacollects 05-01-2019 06:37 AM

What I don't understand is that they disclaim on each auction not to be professional graders but with all these goofy stickers that is exactly what they are doing... Can't see why people don't understand the conflicting info???

vintagetoppsguy 05-01-2019 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chalupacollects (Post 1874134)
What I don't understand is that they disclaim on each auction not to be professional graders but with all these goofy stickers that is exactly what they are doing... Can't see why people don't understand the conflicting info???

I don't see the conflict. One doesn't need to be a "professional grader" to see that a card has great eye appeal given its technical grade.

Peter_Spaeth 05-01-2019 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 1874135)
I don't see the conflict. One doesn't need to be a "professional grader" to see that a card has great eye appeal given its technical grade.

Right, and the logical extension of that is one doesn't need PWCC to see that for them either.

Leon 05-01-2019 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1874138)
Right, and the logical extension of that is one doesn't need PWCC to see that for them either.

Who cares? This is like crying over spilled milk. If it gets a consignor more money, and there is full transparency, then good for PWCC. A LOT of our members use them and seem happy. I spoke with Brent quite a bit at the Texas Card Show and they have some neat stuff going on, besides the stickers. Time will tell.

Peter_Spaeth 05-01-2019 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1874139)
Who cares? This is like crying over spilled milk. If it gets a consignor more money, and there is full transparency, then good for PWCC. A LOT of our members use them and seem happy. I spoke with Brent quite a bit at the Texas Card Show and they have some neat stuff going on, besides the stickers. Time will tell.

I suppose I care one because it likely drives up prices and two because stupid gimmicks just offend me. I agree that it's good marketing, my issue is more with the people who put value on these stickers.

58pinson 05-01-2019 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1874139)
If it gets a consignor more money, and there is full transparency, then good for PWCC.

As a first time consignor to the PWCC auction that is currently starting I couldn't agree more. After trying to move cards at the White Plains show and seeing what PWCC was getting for the same cards I was blown out of the water. I am hoping to more than double my return. If they decide to sticker any of my cards I'm not going to complain.