Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Best Little Card Shop in the World (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=172833)

Orioles1954 07-22-2013 09:01 PM

Best Little Card Shop in the World

2 Attachment(s)
While on vacation with my family, I came across a treasure amidst a sea of crappy baseball card shops. Although I do not actively collect anymore, I always like to drop in on new places just to see what's up.

Shaffer's Trading Cards is located on Route 15 South (yes, in the middle of the highway) just south of Lewisburg and Williamsport, Pennsylvania. Going through the store's front doors was like going back in time to some of the old card stores that first got me into the hobby as a young boy, like Den's Collectors Den. The shop has been in the same location since 1978. The owner is personable, upbeat, and was great to my semi rowdy kids who I towed along. More than anything, his card shop offered a homish, welcoming feeling.

The shop is smaller but offers an inventory of 3.2 million cards. For the set collector numerous monster boxes from every imaginable sports and non-sports set from the 1950s-current are neatly stacked and organized. Dozens of showcases stacked with singles from sets ranging from T206 to Goudey to Topps/Bowman and recent shiny cards seemed fairly priced. Need 1970s OPC Football sets? He had them. Want to buy 1980s oddball packs? No problem. What about that obscure 1970s TCMA set? Singles and sets were available. He carried wax of products that were released last week ranging to obscure, non-sport issues going back to the 1950s. In the end, I didn't buy anything. But my children did love their packs of 1982 Topps Smurf cards that they picked out. Just wanted to share an uplifting experience on my end.

James

brob28 07-22-2013 09:08 PM

Very cool James, thanks for sharing. If I'm ever in the area I'll definitely stop in.

Orioles1954 07-22-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brob28 (Post 1161712)
Very cool James, thanks for sharing. If I'm ever in the area I'll definitely stop in.

No problem. The turn-off is pretty sudden so if you're speeding you just might miss it. The owner appears to be in his 60s. I asked him what the future of his store is. He replied that him and his wife will operate for as long as possible but will eventually shut it down. Mr. Shaffer has one daughter who really doesn't have an interest in keeping it going. The closest town is Lewisburg, home of Christy Mathewson and the Bucknell Bison.

wonkaticket 07-23-2013 01:16 AM

Been there many times over the years was a highlight on the drives up to that area. Still have my T207 Johnson and others I picked up in that very same little shop.

Cheers,

John

Rich Klein 07-23-2013 05:21 AM

Bill and Darlene are good people

Rich

glynparson 07-23-2013 06:15 AM

Bought many a card

from them over the years. Very good people. Glyn

Kawika 07-23-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orioles1954 (Post 1161718)
The turn-off is pretty sudden so if you're speeding you just might miss it.

I sped right by the shop on the way back from Matty's grave at Bucknell so I could catch a game at Camden Yards the night before I left Baltimore for home following last year's National. It just popped from out of nowhere and I wondered what the frick a baseball card shop was doing in the middle of the road. For the next few miles down the highway I debated whether I should turn around. As it was I didn't get to the O's game until the fourth inning (although it went 14) but part of me wished I had checked the place out. Camden Yards was on the bucket list so that's what I did.

ChiSoxCardboard 07-23-2013 05:30 PM

I swear I've been there...on a family vacation in the early 90s...I would have been 7 or 8 years old, maybe...but the shop was closed.

I remember being devastated.

Funny the images that stick in your mind.

Vintageloz 07-24-2013 08:15 PM

Been there a bunch of times back and forth from western NY to Virginia during Easter. Amazing selection, graded, raw, commons from every set imaginable. They also do a bunch of shows. Worth the trip!