Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Beware of eBay buyer everythingtreasure (Gary Stevens Jericho, NY) (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=255406)

bdecsports 05-23-2018 09:16 AM

Beware of eBay buyer everythingtreasure (Gary Stevens Jericho, NY)

1 Attachment(s)
In a time when there are so many eBay sellers selling “shady” items & scamming eBay buyers, this post is to warn eBay sellers & Net54 members of eBay buyer everythingtreasure (Gary Stevens of Jericho, NY). At the end of March, Gary won 2 of my eBay auctions, a 1920 Baseball Magazine with Ruth on the cover & a 1920’s Rogers Hornsby writing tablet, winning them for just under $300 a piece. The morning after the auctions, Gary wanted to back out on the Ruth magazine because he didn’t realize how rough it was, but he clearly didn’t read the description or look at the photos. When you state in the description "chipping along the spine, and the covers are loose & detached from the interior pages”, it’s pretty clear what you are dealing with. I declined his request, and he eventually paid for the items, but not surprisingly he filed a “Not as Described” claim with PayPal.

Paypal took his side & granted him a refund for both items, pending the return of both items in the same condition. Gary took the opportunity to keep the Hornsby tablet, just returning the Ruth magazine, and even that was in worse condition than when it was shipped to him, but he got the refund for both items. Luckily PayPal realized his scam, and after filing a complaint with the Internet Crime Center per Paypal’s request, they paid me for the two items.

Included is a picture of the Ruth magazine. Proceed with caution when dealing with Gary, and I will be avoiding his financial advisor services.

Regards,

Bryan Dec

Peter_Spaeth 05-23-2018 09:20 AM

If someone backs out of an auction before they paid, I would just let them to avoid further trouble, even if they weren't justified. Why try to cram a sale down someone's throat?

slidekellyslide 05-23-2018 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1779673)
If someone backs out of an auction before they paid, I would just let them to avoid further trouble, even if they weren't justified. Why try to cram a sale down someone's throat?

Yep. This is part of dealing on ebay. If you force a winning bidder to pay for an item he doesn't want you're going to end up with a hassle. I just let them back out, block them and then relist the item.

Also if I'm reading this correctly you got the Ruth magazine back and you got paid for it?

Bpm0014 05-23-2018 09:58 AM

Why would I even "be aware" of this buyer?? You got your items back AND got paid. I wish that would happen to me.... :(

Leon 05-23-2018 10:06 AM

Paypal giveth and Paypal taketh.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdecsports (Post 1779672)
In a time when there are so many eBay sellers selling “shady” items & scamming eBay buyers, this post is to warn eBay sellers & Net54 members of eBay buyer everythingtreasure (Gary Stevens of Jericho, NY). At the end of March, Gary won 2 of my eBay auctions, a 1920 Baseball Magazine with Ruth on the cover & a 1920’s Rogers Hornsby writing tablet, winning them for just under $300 a piece. The morning after the auctions, Gary wanted to back out on the Ruth magazine because he didn’t realize how rough it was, but he clearly didn’t read the description or look at the photos. When you state in the description "chipping along the spine, and the covers are loose & detached from the interior pages”, it’s pretty clear what you are dealing with. I declined his request, and he eventually paid for the items, but not surprisingly he filed a “Not as Described” claim with PayPal.

Paypal took his side & granted him a refund for both items, pending the return of both items in the same condition. Gary took the opportunity to keep the Hornsby tablet, just returning the Ruth magazine, and even that was in worse condition than when it was shipped to him, but he got the refund for both items. Luckily PayPal realized his scam, and after filing a complaint with the Internet Crime Center per Paypal’s request, they paid me for the two items.

Included is a picture of the Ruth magazine. Proceed with caution when dealing with Gary, and I will be avoiding his financial advisor services.

Regards,

Bryan Dec

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 05-23-2018 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bpm0014 (Post 1779683)
Why would I even "be aware" of this buyer?? You got your items back AND got paid. I wish that would happen to me.... :(

Usually it's the other way around to me haha

bobbyw8469 05-23-2018 10:53 AM

Sounds like the buyer never returned one item even though he was refunded for it, and the buyer returned a magazine in worse shape than he received it. Was it the same magazine, and he just mucked it up, or was it actually a switch?

JustinD 05-23-2018 11:30 AM

Yes, I think people are missing that the OP had one item stolen as well.

Leon 05-23-2018 12:08 PM

But, according to what you wrote below they paid the OP for both items. Stolen but no monetary damages, to the OP (hey Bryan), due to reimbursement?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinD (Post 1779709)
Yes, I think people are missing that the OP had one item stolen as well.

bnorth 05-23-2018 12:21 PM

Bryan sorry to hear of your troubles. I am really hoping to avoid the same thing.

I recently sold an item on eBay and the seller asked me to cancel the transaction because their bid was an accident. I PMed back and asked how they bid on accident. A man PMed back and said his wife bid on the item and he didn't need it.

So still being a smart a$$ I said I did not know how to cancel an auction because I had never done it before. Then I asked if he had canceled auctions in the past and if so could he tell me how to do it.

With in a half hour I received payment for the item and it was delivered a couple days ago. Haven't heard anything back from them and hope I don't.:)

Exhibitman 05-23-2018 01:08 PM

Added to my blocked bidder list, thanks.

hcv123 05-23-2018 03:17 PM

Blocked

Thank you.

icollectDCsports 05-23-2018 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1779726)
Bryan sorry to hear of your troubles. I am really hoping to avoid the same thing.

I recently sold an item on eBay and the seller asked me to cancel the transaction because their bid was an accident. I PMed back and asked how they bid on accident. A man PMed back and said his wife bid on the item and he didn't need it.

So still being a smart a$$ I said I did not know how to cancel an auction because I had never done it before. Then I asked if he had canceled auctions in the past and if so could he tell me how to do it.

With in a half hour I received payment for the item and it was delivered a couple days ago. Haven't heard anything back from them and hope I don't.:)

Haha. Well done.

ruth-gehrig 05-23-2018 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdecsports (Post 1779672)
Luckily PayPal realized his scam, and after filing a complaint with the Internet Crime Center per Paypal’s request, they paid me for the two items.

How did PayPal realize his scam? Did you have to send them a picture of the Ruth magazine that you received back versus the Ruth magazine you had listed?

bobbyw8469 05-23-2018 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig (Post 1779855)
How did PayPal realize his scam? Did you have to send them a picture of the Ruth magazine that you received back versus the Ruth magazine you had listed?

I checked out the magazine that sold on Ebay. I don't mean no harm, but it looks like the exact same magazine.

Forever Young 05-23-2018 09:39 PM

Everythingtreasure Gary

I have also had some bad experiences with Gary. I believe, however, he might have issues/special needs. I also blocked eBay ID: secondsminuteshours

I believe that it is Gary too.. or someone affiliated closely with him.

pokerplyr80 05-23-2018 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1779673)

That's a good question. I dont think I'd want to do business with either party based on what's been written. Although I understand the urge to not want to let a buyer back out when you did nothing wrong, it doesnt make much business sense.

bobbyw8469 05-24-2018 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1779895)
That's a good question. I dont think I'd want to do business with either party based on what's been written. Although I understand the urge to not want to let a buyer back out when you did nothing wrong, it doesnt make much business sense.

Now, in this instance I DO agree with the OP. It screws with the integrity of the auction. You tie the item up for 10 days, only to have the winning bidder pull some kind of stunt at the very end. Of course, the item won't sell via 2nd chance offer, because they feel like they were jerked around. I just as soon them not bid, than to pull some crap like that.

Peter_Spaeth 05-24-2018 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1779895)

On the rare occasions it happens to me I just agree to cancel and move on. Block and relist as Dan said.

slidekellyslide 05-24-2018 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1779936)
On the rare occasions it happens to me I just agree to cancel and move on. Block and relist as Dan said.

Yep, I learned this the hard way. Guy wins item (sniped it) changed his mind and asked me to cancel it. I decided I wanted to teach him a lesson so I waited a week or so and then filed a non-paying bidder on him. He paid for item, left me a negative and then when he got it he filed a "not as described" on me and I had to take it back at my expense.

It's just not worth the hassle so if someone decides to cancel on me for apparently no other reason than they changed their mind (which still irks me, especially if they bid on it at the last second) I comply, then they get blocked.

bobbyw8469 05-24-2018 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 1780018)
Yep, I learned this the hard way. Guy wins item (sniped it) changed his mind and asked me to cancel it. I decided I wanted to teach him a lesson so I waited a week or so and then filed a non-paying bidder on him. He paid for item, left me a negative and then when he got it he filed a "not as described" on me and I had to take it back at my expense.

It's just not worth the hassle so if someone decides to cancel on me for apparently no other reason than they changed their mind (which still irks me, especially if they bid on it at the last second) I comply, then they get blocked.

And please post their name in here for all to see. I don't want that deadbeat bidder winning my auctions either. When so many people have him blocked, he might think twice about pulling stunts like that in the future.

slidekellyslide 05-24-2018 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1780023)
And please post their name in here for all to see. I don't want that deadbeat bidder winning my auctions either. When so many people have him blocked, he might think twice about pulling stunts like that in the future.

It was a couple of years ago...I wouldn't have a clue. I suppose I could post my entire blocked list in here, but it's huge at this point. And it wasn't even baseball card related.

ibuysportsephemera 05-24-2018 04:04 PM

As others have said....I would never, never, never, never, never (getting the point) make a buyer take an item on eBay. They actually are doing you a favor when they ask you to cancel. You save the headache of shipping and then dealing with a refund, possibly bad feedback etc. At least you control the item, can relist, get your fvf refunded and move on.

Jeff

glynparson 05-25-2018 04:13 AM

I

I believe i had an issue with this same individual a few years back. Pretty sure that was his name. Brian is a good guy and really knows his stuff and has some great material. i would not hesitate dealing with Brian. I would recommend blocking the buyer especially since i am confident it is the same individual with whom i had some problem. Unfortunately Ebay has given buyers 99.99999% of the power so i would recommend in the future just refunding the money or canceling the bid and just re-list the item. An unfortunate cost of doing business on flea bay.

sportscollector57 06-29-2019 06:53 PM

The theif of theifs

Sent an e-mail and asked if the cover was even attached, sure it's attached was the response. It's garbage in and garbage out, keep selling newspaper clippings, but why sell garbage even if it has Ruth on the cover? Your a loser and a liar, you did rip off Pay Pal for the one item I kept and paid for. You are nothing but a nickel / dime seller who sells newspaper clippings and makes up stories!

sportscollector57 06-29-2019 07:09 PM

You are 100% right

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1779862)
i checked out the magazine that sold on ebay. I don't mean no harm, but it looks like the exact same magazine.

it was the same magazine, and stupid me wrote the seller is the cover attached, the liar wrote back it's attached. Look at the condition it's in, the cover was crumbling, but when you sell newspaper clippings you need to nickel and dime buyers. You got caught being the theif that you are, your new aka newspaper boy!

lowpopper 06-29-2019 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportscollector57 (Post 1894079)
Sent an e-mail and asked if the cover was even attached, sure it's attached was the response. It's garbage in and garbage out, keep selling newspaper clippings, but why sell garbage even if it has Ruth on the cover? Your a loser and a liar, you did rip off Pay Pal for the one item I kept and paid for. You are nothing but a nickel / dime seller who sells newspaper clippings and makes up stories!

State your name, Cowboy.

hcv123 06-29-2019 07:49 PM

I've heard of delayed response.......

but a year later?!

Leon 06-30-2019 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowpopper (Post 1894084)
State your name, Cowboy.

Got ya' covered....

Exhibitman 06-30-2019 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportscollector57 (Post 1894079)

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibit...er%20great.jpg

earlywynnfan 06-30-2019 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportscollector57 (Post 1894082)
it was the same magazine, and stupid me wrote the seller is the cover attached, the liar wrote back it's attached. Look at the condition it's in, the cover was crumbling, but when you sell newspaper clippings you need to nickel and dime buyers. You got caught being the theif that you are, your new aka newspaper boy!

I assume you'll address the Hornsby tablet?