Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Help ID: Ty Cobb 1926 Wire Photo? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=252066)

1treasuretrove 03-03-2018 05:41 PM

Help ID: Ty Cobb 1926 Wire Photo?

2 Attachment(s)
I'm more of a card and autograph guy and don't dabble too much in vintage photographs unless they are signed. That being said, this photo came as part of a larger vintage collection and I'm not sure what to make of it.

Is this a wire photo? I scanned the front and back (below) - any information would be appreciated.

Thanks!

1treasuretrove 03-03-2018 05:43 PM

I forgot to add, this measures approximately 7" x 9"

1treasuretrove 03-03-2018 08:15 PM

To add again, I'm just looking for help on even determining if this is a wire photo or what kind of photo it is. I'm entirely ignorant on how to determine if an item is a wire photo, original photo, press photo, or any other kind of vintage photograph. Any education would be appreciated :-)

Dewey 03-03-2018 11:01 PM

It is a press photo. The overlapping stamping dates between 1947-early 50s, if I'm reading them right. There is a third stamp crossed out that I can't decipher.

The stamping and the lack of clarity make me think it is not an image from the original negative dating to 1926, but a vintage copy from 20ish years later.

Happy to be corrected though. Hope some experts can weigh in.

Snapolit1 03-04-2018 08:05 AM

Agree lack of clarity doesn't cry out out Type 1. But later photo stamps are not that meaningful to me. Companies often acquired prior collections of photos and put their stamps on them. I have Ruth photos from early 20s with later stamps on them.

1treasuretrove 03-04-2018 09:03 AM

2 Attachment(s)
What is the difference between a press photo and a wire photo?

That is, what makes this a press photo?

To compare, what type of photo is this of the Empire State Building?

I apologize for my ignorance folks, searching around the forum and internet didn't lead me any closer to figuring out how to identify a press photo versus a wire photo. Thanks sincerely for the help!

drcy 03-04-2018 10:05 AM

A press photo, also called a news photo, is the general term for a photo made by the press (newspaper, magazine news service such as Associated Press or UPI, etc). A wirephoto is specific type of photo made via transmitting the image via telephone line ('wire'). A wirephoto is a specfic type of press or news photo. People often use 'wirephoto' as the generic term, but it is a specific kind.

This is an article explaining wirephotos: A Guide to Wirephotos

The empire state photo is an original press/news photo. You could also call it an International News photo, because that was the maker, as indicated by the stamp and paper tag.

1treasuretrove 03-04-2018 01:22 PM

7 Attachment(s)
I appreciate the feedback guys, still trying to learn. I looked at that article and it made me dig out some other vintage photographs I have. In an attempt to learn, would you mind help identifying what these are as well?

1. Bobby Murcer 8x10 (back has a white piece of paper and carbon coby yellow page underneath attached to back)

2. Red Kelly 8x10 (back has piece of typed paper adhered on)

3. World Trade Center 1974 8x10 (front has text as part of the photo and back has a newspaper article adhered to it)

4. Walter Camp 4.75"x6.75" photo (stamps noting this is an original loaner photo)

From what I was gathering from the article and information on here:

1. Press Photo
2. Press Photo
3. Wire Photo
4. ?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, trying to learn here. Thanks again!

1treasuretrove 03-04-2018 01:24 PM

The back of the WTC photo wouldn't load via the site, so here is a direct photo link:

https://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/2/0/...84857286_o.jpg

drcy 03-04-2018 09:54 PM

Correct, and #4 is also a press/news photo. Culver was a big news photo agency.

GDoggy 03-07-2018 06:36 AM

Stamps and Tags

This is a great read on Stamps and Tags (I would suggest running through the entire course, alot of good info):
https://photoidcourse.wordpress.com/...amps-and-tags/

Dewey 03-07-2018 03:40 PM

Good link GDoggy. It is helpful stuff from Dr Cy himself. That site has been of great help in my learning the hobby.

1treasuretrove 03-11-2018 03:53 PM

Thank you for all the help fellas, all of the linked articles were very informative. I have a stack of non-sports related press photos and many of them are of the wire photo variety. I have a better idea of what I have now and this will make me a lot less ignorant when browsing press photos in the future.

On a side note, I listed the Cobb on eBay as a press photo shortly after receiving some help identifying it as such in this post. I didn't expect more than $100 for it and it is doing better than I thought.