Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Has anyone seen or used this price guide? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=248479)

edtiques 12-06-2017 08:05 AM

Has anyone seen or used this price guide?

1 Attachment(s)
I was just wondering if anyone's used or seen this guide and if so,what they thought about it. :

Hake's sports consultant, Philip Garry III has just released the 4-Sport Hall Of Fame Rookie Cards Guide, and it is now available for sale.

After more than 3 years of research and compilation, Philip Garry III marks the release of the Vintage Sportscard Industry’s first, fully pictorial guide documenting the definitive Rookie Card for every single member of the Baseball, Football, Basketball & Hockey Halls of Fame. With this guide in hand, collectors will now be able to seek out Rookie Cards of their favorite players, teams, sports, etc. and, for the first time, the truly serious collector will have an opportunity at trying to complete an entire Hall of Fame Rookie Card set for their favorite team sport. Up until now, collectors could only be assured of identifying Rookie Cards of Post-War Hall of Famers via the current sportscard guides but Pre-War was a nearly impossible task, likely why very few collectors have attempted it.

The beauty of this Rookie Cards Guide is that all 340+ pages are in full color and each sport’s Hall of Fame assemblage has been arranged in alphabetical order. Each HOF’er will have a definitive Rookie Card pictured along with their Name, Designation for the Hall of Fame (i.e.-Player, Manager, Official, Pioneer, etc.), Year & Card Company for the Rookie Card and Value Price Range. Also, and possibly most important of all, every sport’s section begins with the identification of parameters used to decide which Rookie Card would be chosen for each HOF’er. As an added bonus, the back of the guide contains Top 25 lists identifying the “Best” Rookie Cards to own for each of the 4 major team sports.

RedsFan1941 12-06-2017 08:48 AM

printed “guides,” if used only for pricing or value, are about as useful as 8-track players. with all of the real-time information on pricing that’s easily attainable, using a print product that was outdated by the time the ink dried doesn’t seem practical.

packs 12-06-2017 09:16 AM

A guide like that is a great resource but I agree that when it comes to pricing it's best to look at recent sales.

kvnkvnkvn 12-06-2017 09:18 AM

Printed price guides, fresh to the newsstands, like 6 weeks old already. hahahhahahaha

edtiques 12-06-2017 09:23 AM

I should have made it clear that I was interested in the guide for the identification of HOFers rookie cards,not for the prices.I was wondering if anyone had seen it and if it was thorough as far as identifying the cards.

gnaz01 12-06-2017 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edtiques (Post 1726955)
I should have made it clear that I was interested in the guide for the identification of HOFers rookie cards,not for the prices.I was wondering if anyone had seen it and if it was thorough as far as identifying the cards.

I have it and it’s pretty awesome, pictures are great

Exhibitman 12-07-2017 08:30 AM

What does it list as RCs for the following basketball HOFers:

Kareem Abdul jabbar
Clyde Lovelette
Meadowlark Lemon
Goose Tatum
Ernest Blood

Does it use Exhibit cards? Zeenuts?

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 12-07-2017 09:18 AM

Where can you get it?

ValKehl 12-07-2017 09:34 PM

I don't think this is a price guide - rather it is a RC-identification guide.

Baseball Rarities 12-08-2017 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 1727232)
What does it list as RCs for the following basketball HOFers:

Kareem Abdul jabbar
Clyde Lovelette
Meadowlark Lemon
Goose Tatum
Ernest Blood

Does it use Exhibit cards? Zeenuts?

Abdul-Jabbar - 1969-70 Topps
Lovelette - 1957-58 Topps
Lemon - 1971 Harlem Globetrotters
Tatum - 1986 Larry Fritsch Negro Leagues
Blood - 1986 HOF Metallic

Yes to Exhibit cards.

No to Zeenuts - the author did not consider minor league cards for his book.

pawpawdiv9 12-08-2017 12:38 PM

Buying Book

Quote:

Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE (Post 1727239)
Where can you get it?

It was in a thread on the Main Page, some how got pushed back to page 3.
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=248006

Exhibitman 12-09-2017 12:36 AM

Not one of those BK cards is correct. I guess you could let him slide on Kareem and Lovelette; they had foreign pre-rookies from Panini and a German tobacco met. But Blood was on the 1925 Exhibit Champions, Tatum was in the 1959 Lali set from Argentina and Lemon was in the 1959 Heinerle set.

Baseball Rarities 12-09-2017 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 1727758)
Not one of those BK cards is correct. I guess you could let him slide on Kareem and Lovelette; they had foreign pre-rookies from Panini and a German tobacco met. But Blood was on the 1925 Exhibit Champions, Tatum was in the 1959 Lali set from Argentina and Lemon was in the 1959 Heinerle set.

Upon a cursory glance at the different sections, it does not look like the author used any foreign issues for Football, Basketball or Hockey. The exception would be Canadian issues for Hockey.

Exhibitman 12-11-2017 04:25 AM

So I guess if you exclude pre-rookies, foreign cards and some Exhibits then it is a great guide. Does it at least acknowledge the Star cards for basketball?

RedsFan1941 12-11-2017 05:31 AM

great looking book at least!

Gary Dunaier 12-16-2017 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 1728418)
Does it at least acknowledge the Star cards for basketball?

Yes, it does.

glynparson 12-17-2017 07:43 AM

It is a good book it is not perfect but it is a good book. It has No Prices listed so those ripping it as having outdated prices obviously have not even looked at the material.

RedsFan1941 12-17-2017 08:18 AM

when the question asked was, has anyone used this “price” guide, I don’t think it was a leap to assume the guide would have prices in it.

and not only this book, but any printed price guide these days isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on

Exhibitman 12-18-2017 10:12 AM

I completely agree, 1941, which is partly why I dropped the pricing component from my boxing book and will not resurrect it. Compiling pricing data for a book is a miserable exercise, so I don't miss it at all.

What we need are more encyclopedic endeavors: explain the story behind the cards, not bios of the athletes and not the card prices. I think we will see more of that sort of thing over time, especially as print on demand publishing expands. I do my book POD; you order from the publisher direct.

edtiques 12-18-2017 10:18 AM

A

Gary Dunaier 12-23-2017 08:23 PM

It's not a price guide in the sense of "this card is worth $500," but the author does go the $-$$-$$$-$$$$ route to give you some kind of ballpark figure of what a card might cost.

Gary Dunaier 12-23-2017 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 1730537)
What we need are more encyclopedic endeavors: explain the story behind the cards, not bios of the athletes

I agree. I know you're talking about reference books, but I've seen auction catalogues where they spend just as much time talking about the player and how great they are and that sort of thing. I'm thinking that if someone is seriously considering spending thousands, or hundreds of thousands, on a Babe Ruth piece they already know all about Babe Ruth and how great he is - what he really needs is more information about the piece he might be bidding on.

The only time a short bio can be helpful is if the player isn't widely known outside of the context of the piece involved. Case in point: who is Pancho Herrera and why is a card that's missing one letter of his name worth so much?