Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   1919 Chicago White Sox team picture - Black Sox (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=347034)

Ribbens 03-03-2024 09:26 PM

1919 Chicago White Sox team picture - Black Sox

1 Attachment(s)
I purchased this team picture of the 1919 Chicago White Sox and am wondering how I can determine if it is an original or a print. Anyone help me? The photo is attached to the glass in a couple of small spots so I need to get that problem solved before I can do anything more with the photo. It measures 4 3/4" x 7"

doug.goodman 03-03-2024 09:57 PM

Is there a caption, and what's on the back?

Joe Hunter 03-04-2024 08:57 AM

White Sox photo

possibly a page out of an early publication?

BeanTown 03-04-2024 10:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Not 1919 but it’s 1918. Where is Joe? Some of the players looking pretty tan (or red).

Here is postcard I have which looks to be from the same photo shoot and Joe made it in for the picture. Postmark date May, 1918 from Chicago.

Ribbens 03-04-2024 04:40 PM

There is a sticker on the frame that says 1919 Chicago White Sox - nothing on the photo itself. The photo back appears to be removed from paper maybe a scrapbook so I cannot see the actual B&W picture back without removing that paper.

Ribbens 03-04-2024 04:48 PM

Looking at my photo a little closer it appears Shoeless Joe might have been cropped out of the photo - what do you think?

BeanTown 03-05-2024 12:19 AM

What does the back look like on your image, post a picture. The sticker was wrong on your frame. Just wishful thinking it’s 1919. My postcard is from the same photo shoot and could be spring training. Maybe Joe Jackson was in the bathroom (out house), signing autographs, or just running late for the photo shoot. No reason to crop him from the team photo. They most likely did multiple pictures that day.

doug.goodman 03-05-2024 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeanTown (Post 2417400)
What does the back look like on your image, post a picture. The sticker was wrong on your frame. Just wishful thinking it’s 1919. My postcard is from the same photo shoot and could be spring training. Maybe Joe Jackson was in the bathroom (out house), signing autographs, or just running late for the photo shoot. No reason to crop him from the team photo. They most likely did multiple pictures that day.

Yep, agreed. Nobody was cropped out.

nolemmings 03-05-2024 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug.goodman (Post 2417499)
Yep, agreed. Nobody was cropped out.

Agreed, although it is kind of weird. Most everyone seems to be square facing the photographer mostly shoulder to shoulder except maybe Gandil and the guy behind him, as if they are leaving a space for Shoeless to stand and be seen. It looks rather out of place to me, as if the photographer should want the back row to fill in more rather than leave that one space. Oh well.

doug.goodman 03-06-2024 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolemmings (Post 2417504)
Agreed, although it is kind of weird. Most everyone seems to be square facing the photographer mostly shoulder to shoulder except maybe Gandil and the guy behind him, as if they are leaving a space for Shoeless to stand and be seen. It looks rather out of place to me, as if the photographer should want the back row to fill in more rather than leave that one space. Oh well.

I see it as a situation where the band assembled to take a picture and just as everybody was ready the drummer jumped out of the group and run around the behind the photographer, who snapped a picture without him, then the drummer runs back to his spot, and another photo is snapped.

BeanTown 03-08-2024 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug.goodman (Post 2417919)
I see it as a situation where the band assembled to take a picture and just as everybody was ready the drummer jumped out of the group and run around the behind the photographer, who snapped a picture without him, then the drummer runs back to his spot, and another photo is snapped.

Great analogy and it looked like whatever Joe did worked. Look at all the happy faces around him. Rare to see big smiles on players back in da day.

doug.goodman 03-08-2024 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeanTown (Post 2418209)
Great analogy and it looked like whatever Joe did worked. Look at all the happy faces around him. Rare to see big smiles on players back in da day.

I have to thank to Tre Cool for providing it