Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   1959 Home Run Derby Raw sales on ebay, are they genuine? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=347131)

Lucas00 03-06-2024 06:25 PM

1959 Home Run Derby Raw sales on ebay, are they genuine?

Seller has auctioned off many of the cards from the set, all signs to me point clearly to reprints. Very nice cards all very sharp and bright white. Not just one or two but seemingly most of the set. Majority of the sellers other listings are modern or Junk wax worth very little. Seller didn't grade them (obviously anybody selling would for way better return). I just cannot see these being the real thing. The amount made (likely scammed) off of seemingly a $10 reprint set so far is nauseating.
Thoughts?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18632674820...mis&media=COPY

raulus 03-06-2024 06:31 PM

Definitely looks sketchy to me.

Among other things, the borders look way too wide. But maybe the wide borders crowd prefers it that way?

Lucas00 03-06-2024 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raulus (Post 2417880)
Definitely looks sketchy to me.

Among other things, the borders look way too wide. But maybe the wide borders crowd prefers it that way?

Trying to have an open mind as they are genuinely hard to tell authenticity, especially with bad photos. But man I could never see myself spending $1500 even with just a sliver of research and minimal knowledge of the set and it's deceptive reprints.

raulus 03-06-2024 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucas00 (Post 2417889)
Trying to have an open mind as they are genuinely hard to tell authenticity, especially with bad photos. But man I could never see myself spending $1500 with just a sliver of knowledge and research of the set and it's deceptive reprints.

Bonus: This one apparently isn't eligible for the AG program. Either that or once it sells, they don't bother to list those details any more.

Edited to add: I think it wasn't eligible, because the seller listed it under "trading card lots", and only single cards are eligible for AG. But I'm sure listing it in that category was an oversight.

Lucas00 03-06-2024 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raulus (Post 2417890)
Bonus: This one apparently isn't eligible for the AG program. Either that or once it sells, they don't bother to list those details any more.

Edited to add: I think it wasn't eligible, because the seller listed it under "trading card lots", and only single cards are eligible for AG. But I'm sure listing it in that category was an oversight.

I just did some quick math, he's sold 12 cards from the "set" so far for almost $5500. Now that's what I call return on investment.
It's hilarious to me all you have to do is select trading card lot to circumvent the authentication. Don't even need to put lot in the title, that's an awesome feature ebay!

aldridgemj214 03-06-2024 11:09 PM

I’m going to send him a message to see if I can purchase the Mark Scott from his set. If/when he says he doesn’t have it, that could add to the likelihood they are reprints since Mark wasn’t in the reprint set.

aldridgemj214 03-07-2024 02:58 AM

“Just has the Mays left”….

Lucas00 03-07-2024 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aldridgemj214 (Post 2417952)
“Just has the Mays left”….

Wonder if a private deal was made for a lot or if he only found a partial "set".

I'm thinking the chances somebody on the forum won one of the cards is decent, if you did, come forward and confirm these are no good.

Exhibitman 03-07-2024 02:58 PM

Off that crap image it is not possible to be definitive BUT the borders look wider than the genuine cards. I personally would not buy them unauthenticated. Too many fakes. The wrong category thing is a giant red flag because it evades the authenticity program.

Stonepony 03-08-2024 07:52 PM

RP

Gorditadogg 03-08-2024 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucas00 (Post 2418055)
Wonder if a private deal was made for a lot or if he only found a partial "set".

I'm thinking the chances somebody on the forum won one of the cards is decent, if you did, come forward and confirm these are no good.

If they were legit, he would have listed them as cards so they would get authenticated. That's all the confirmation anyone should need

Hopefully, nobody on Net54 was duped.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Lucas00 03-08-2024 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gorditadogg (Post 2418407)
If they were legit, he would have listed them as cards so they would get authenticated. That's all the confirmation anyone should need

Hopefully, nobody on Net54 was duped.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

To be fair(ish) it looks like all of the sellers listings are wrongly listed as lots. But I agree.

JustinD 03-09-2024 08:54 AM

Looking at the feedback, the same rube bought his prior listed ones.

They look questionable for sure. not as obviously fake as the ones those Chasing Cardboard guys were hyping up in that thread a couple months ago.

No way I would buy these from a guy who usually has sub-20 dollar auctions and lists either purposefully or out of ignorance to avoid any oversight.this is red flag city.