Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   When your full name is needed in a post on this forum. (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=251959)

Leon 03-01-2018 11:24 AM

When your full name is needed in a post on this forum.

We get approximately 60 new users every month and since I have sent several PMs in the last few days concerning users putting their full name next to their posts, I feel it's appropriate to address the subject again. Just like it says at the top of every page, in bold letters -
If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post
That is the hard and fast rule. That said, the real litmus test is if I would want to know who said whatever it is they said, when the comment is in my direction. And I personally want to know in almost every instance so the threshold for your full name is low. That means any kind of comment concerning authenticity should have your full name next to it. Any comment that could be construed as controversial needs a name next to it. Any arguing, bickering, intense debating etc...you get the idea, has to have a full name next to it. I hope this doesn't sound too Draconian but I would rather be transparent as to what is expected than have folks not know. Almost no other public forum I am aware of has this tight of a name rule. (Your welcome.) Thanks for listening.

http://luckeycards.com/pe901youngpsa2.jpg

pawpawdiv9 03-01-2018 02:27 PM

There is some new laws coming up,
Its where the moderators has to approve each and every post, making them responsible for all content posted.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2018/0...unities?page=1

Section103 03-01-2018 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1752992)

Altered. ;)

drcy 03-01-2018 02:44 PM

You can live your whole Net54 experience without ever having to include your name, if you aren't the type who blasts auction houses, accuses board members of fraud and gets into heated arguments on controversial topics.

GasHouseGang 03-01-2018 02:47 PM

Yeah, just don't have an opinion, and you're good.:D

ramram 03-01-2018 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcy (Post 1753059)
You can live your whole Net54 experience without ever having to include your name, if you aren't the type who blasts auction houses, accuses board members of fraud and gets into heated arguments on controversial topics.

+1

bmattioli 03-01-2018 04:54 PM

Just wondering if and when you included your name in a post has caused an issue.. Why would it, my name has been out there for years on multiple sites on the internet.. Am I naive or is there a reason for concern??

Leon 03-01-2018 05:05 PM

Where it has to do with sex trafficking it looks like they are wanting to crack down. I can applaud that. From my very brief, layperson read, I didn't see anything that is going to make me liable for what you say on this board. Section 230 is what forums depend on. I guess if that law was totally repealed (and that doesn't seem to be being suggested) then that could be an issue. I think we are fine.

[QUOTE=pawpawdiv9;1753054]There is some new laws coming up,
Its where the moderators has to approve each and every post, making them responsible for all content posted.

timn1 03-01-2018 05:57 PM

Wha'???

There is new laws? Moderators has to approve?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 (Post 1753054)
There is some new laws coming up,

Leon 03-01-2018 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timn1 (Post 1753126)
There is new laws? Moderators has to approve?

Only on sex trafficking sites. We traffic old cardboard with mostly dead ball players pictured on it.

drcy 03-01-2018 06:20 PM

Just don't post in a thread that's 12 pages long. I usually avoid even reading them.

Peter_Spaeth 03-01-2018 06:22 PM

I think Tim was bemoaning the grammar.

Cliff Bowman 03-01-2018 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1753139)

Your right.

Peter_Spaeth 03-01-2018 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman (Post 1753157)
Your right.

Definately.

mechanicalman 03-01-2018 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1753161)
Definately.

Ha! I seen what you did their.

Leon 03-01-2018 08:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1753139)

I saw that but was taking the high road. :eek:

SMPEP 03-02-2018 10:27 AM

If my opinion is whatever my wife tells me it is ... do I have to use my name or hers?

steve B 03-02-2018 10:43 AM

The bicycle group I'm on is more international, And requires full name and rough location on ALL posts. Not much specific, but city, state country for US members, usually just city and country for those outside the US. And us US members can't abbreviate the state.
The only exception I know of was an Australian who used a partial last name because he'd overstayed his visa by a few years. When he moved back home, he fessed up and started using his whole name. As far as I know nobody had a problem with it.
That group is about the most civil one I've ever seen.

Leons rules are pretty easy.

Stampsfan 03-02-2018 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 1753312)
The bicycle group I'm on is more international...
The only exception I know of was an Australian who used a partial last name because he'd overstayed his visa by a few years...

A few YEARS?!?!?

So basically, If you're in a country illegally or doing something illegal, then it's OK to use a false or incomplete name. But if you are a law abiding citizen of a country, you must post your full, legal name.

ALR-bishop 03-02-2018 02:29 PM

I have had my name in my posts for awhile now. Would not have had a problem with it from day one, but Leon required it moons ago when I posted in post war that I thought Don Fluckinger (sp ?) was not capable of filling Bob Lemke's editor role at SCD. I think he even deleted my post. :). People who knew me kept contacting me wanting to know what I had said to get deleted.

bigfish 03-02-2018 02:38 PM

MissIn the link....

Is this board diversifying to include sex trafficking?

Leon 03-02-2018 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1753369)
I have had my name in my posts for awhile now. Would not have had a problem with it from day one, but Leon required it moons ago when I posted in post war that I thought Don Fluckinger (sp ?) was not capable of filling Bob Lemke's editor role at SCD. I think he even deleted my post. :). People who knew me kept contacting me wanting to know what I had said to get deleted.

The ONLY reason it would have been deleted is that you didn't abide by the rules (*your name). Had you done that it would still be there.

Toby - No diversifying into that area.

steve B 03-02-2018 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampsfan (Post 1753356)
A few YEARS?!?!?

So basically, If you're in a country illegally or doing something illegal, then it's OK to use a false or incomplete name. But if you are a law abiding citizen of a country, you must post your full, legal name.

Technically I suppose.

He wasn't doing anything illegal besides staying. We didn't get into the why, but he was a student (Legitimately, not a "student" who drives a cab full time or something- if I remember it right he was in a graduate program. ) Then employed. We didn't know until he moved home and admitted it. He was and while I've become less active, I believe still is a member who contributes more than most.

The group overall is a lot like this one, a good deal less contentious, and we're usually all on a 2-3 post a day limit to keep the traffic level manageable.

Other rules there -Ah heck, there aren't many, I'll just post em all!
Welcome to the Classic Rendezvous community!
This group should be viewed as "a gathering of friends who have been invited into the list owner's garage to talk about vintage lightweight bikes."

1. Sign off all messages with your first and last name, plus your city, state, and country. No abbreviations. New members are encouraged to provide a short profile of themselves.

2. Please stay within the time line (up to & including 1983 but not after) or to "Keeper of the Flame" items, i.e., contemporary, made by tradition methods, small workshop bikes or components.

3. "For Sale" postings should be for pre-1983 or be distinctly "Keeper of the Flame". Items may be only be posted one time and items should be accurately described with a set price and attached photos or photo links.

4. Do NOT use the CR group to maximize the selling prices or as a tool to establish "value. "What is my/your/this item worth?" is an inappropriate topic. For this, search online auctions such as eBay.

5. Please make every post substantive in which every message contributes to the communal knowledge base. 3 messages maximum per day/per member.

6. Please do not send "Attaboy," "Me too", or jokes. These posts waste bandwidth and jokes are too often misunderstood and create strife.

7. Civility is #1 in importance! No obscene (as the list owner views it), scatological, rude, off-color, vulgar, ugly, demeaning, or insulting language. Use thereof will result in instant removal!

8. Commercial messages are OK IF they are specifically On Topic and are not repetitive.

9. Our focus is the early 1900s to 1983, and "KOF" or "Keepers Of the Flame". Off Topic are modern welded, injection molded, or glued bicycles, mountain bike, "middle weight", BMX, recumbent, and balloon-tired bikes. Also Off Topic are components that are post-1983 or are harbingers of a new, aesthetically "modern" era (like cycle computers, clipless pedals, index shifting, etc.)

The list owner is actually somewhat flexible, if you're contributing to an interesting thread, 4-5 posts will probably slide.
And if you ask first, stuff that's borderline off-topic (Nearly my entire collection) can be ok on occasion. At least he's pre-approved every one of my posts that were borderline off-topic.

By the way, if anyone is super interested in racing or serious touring bikes made before 1983.. It's THE place, just like this is THE place for old baseball cards:D

ALR-bishop 03-02-2018 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1753384)
The ONLY reason it would have been deleted is that you didn't abide by the rules (*your name). Had you done that it would still be there.

Toby - No diversifying into that area.

Both are here now :)

Leon 03-02-2018 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1753406)
Both are here now :)

Yes sir. And I appreciate it. All I ask is that names are by posts. You can say pretty much anything you want to, even that so and so is not going to be able to replace so and so. BTW, Lemke (RIP) wasn't replaceable by anyone, imo. He was a huge asset to our hobby and is sorely missed.

ALR-bishop 03-02-2018 04:17 PM

+1 on that

clydepepper 03-02-2018 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcy (Post 1753059)

I'm of the believe that it is just good manners to allow people with whom you converse to know your name...my full name has been on every one of my many posts.

I try to always be polite and respectful...I was raised that way.