Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Heritage T206 (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=262224)

CuriousGeorge 11-16-2018 06:06 PM

Heritage T206

Found it interesting that a highest example grade Cy Young PSA 8 not only didn’t sell but yesterday they put a reserve in because there was not much interest in the card.

phikappapsi 11-16-2018 06:36 PM

Very interesting. I was actually the highest bidder, until it jumped to the reserve right before the auction closed.

I thought I might get it on the cheap(if 16k can ever be considered cheap)

Bottom line seems to be there's some softness in the t206 market when the backs aren't rarer. Either that or there's weakness in the cy young market as the cobb market seems to be going the other direction.

CuriousGeorge 11-16-2018 08:12 PM

But yet look at the Heritage September T206 auction.

griffon512 11-16-2018 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phikappapsi (Post 1827533)
Very interesting. I was actually the highest bidder, until it jumped to the reserve right before the auction closed.

I thought I might get it on the cheap(if 16k can ever be considered cheap)

Bottom line seems to be there's some softness in the t206 market when the backs aren't rarer. Either that or there's weakness in the cy young market as the cobb market seems to be going the other direction.

There's no weakness in the Cy Young T206 Portrait market. Just the opposite.
A very off-center SGC 4 sold for over $2,500 in Heritage and a PSA 4.5 sold for over $3,800 in Huggins & Scott. I believe those are or are close to record prices.

Sean 11-16-2018 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge (Post 1827526)
Found it interesting that a highest example grade Cy Young PSA 8 not only didn’t sell but yesterday they put a reserve in because there was not much interest in the card.

It was a beautiful card, but way off center.

Rhotchkiss 11-16-2018 08:53 PM

Bottom line, The card did not deserve an 8. That is why it did not sell for big money (or at all). Card is Overgraded. people are buying the card, not the flip.

I think the t206 market is silly strong right now, especially Cobb, Wajo, Young, Matty. I notice Speaker is pretty hot and Lajoie has become quite the expensive dude lately too. Still no love for Jake Beckley!!

MVSNYC 11-16-2018 09:14 PM

Market is hot. That card was way OC, and would get a qualifier if graded today. it was in a very old holder, 15+ years old.

phikappapsi 11-17-2018 03:51 AM

I agree, centering was a huge issue and was why I stopped where I stopped. I just assumed in larger auction like that they would've had a few dealers going against one another buying the flip not the card.

A few years ago I think they would've got their price

MVSNYC 11-17-2018 05:17 AM

I think collectors are more savvy these days, and are buying the cards, not the flips.

CuriousGeorge 11-17-2018 06:21 AM

But yet in the Heritage T206 auction, centering or any other noticeable flaws didn’t seem to matter and nearly every card sold for far above reasonable value so why not on this one too? And believe me I agree with what happened with it but after the run up of the cards in September I would have expected similar here. I just think if this card had been in that auction it would have had a much different result.

mechanicalman 11-17-2018 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge (Post 1827604)
But yet in the Heritage T206 auction, centering or any other noticeable flaws didn’t seem to matter and nearly every card sold for far above reasonable value so why not on this one too? And believe me I agree with what happened with it but after the run up of the cards in September I would have expected similar here. I just think if this card had been in that auction it would have had a much different result.

It’s possible a whale won most of the September T206 cards as he was going for the #1 set. The registry can sometimes yield some anamolous prices that don’t indicate a trend.

Leon 11-19-2018 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mechanicalman (Post 1827605)
It’s possible a whale won most of the September T206 cards as he was going for the #1 set. The registry can sometimes yield some anamolous prices that don’t indicate a trend.

The Registry folks just want the biggest Johnson (T206) :) The prices for top grade cards isn't really the normal market, imo, though the high prices don't hurt the lower conditioned ones and probably help them a little bit.