Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   High Dollar Auction Gamble (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=251276)

joshuanip 02-13-2018 03:45 PM

High Dollar Auction Gamble

Too risky for me but those who like to take risks, thought this would interest you to try to regrade. Its 33 Goudey Ruth graded NM+ by GAI.

https://milestoneauctions.hibid.com/.../?q=ruth&cat=0

Before you take the plunge, need to ask yourself why wasnt this resubmitted if it was such a high grade... or has it already tried?

Shoeless Moe 02-13-2018 03:58 PM

Wasn't there a Twilight Zone episode about Willoughby.

"Next stop Willoughby"

ullmandds 02-13-2018 04:01 PM

no image...all those spelling and grammatical errors in the description...I'll pass!!!

Fred 02-13-2018 04:14 PM

All other lots have a picture associated with the lot, but not this card. The following is the item description:

Babe Ruth 1933 Goudey Baseball Card #144. Card was graded a NM+ 7.5 by Global Authentication Inc. The card was graded when this company was first in business having a silver lable. Global Authentication Inc was bought out and thier datebase is no longer available. A great looking card that should be graded by a PSA.

Just my 2 cents - GAI seemed to grade trimmed/altered cards, but early on I thought they were better than towards the end.

If the seller was serious about this card and believes it should be graded by PSA, then I would figure they would have popped it and sent it to PSA, else they are LEAVING a lot of cash on the table. If that card actually graded a 7.5 by PSA then the card could be sold for well over $10K from an auction house with a good reputation. Can't wait to see if the seller actually posts scans/pictures of the card.

oldjudge 02-13-2018 04:15 PM

Who is Milestone? Are they the latest to the auction party?

joshuanip 02-13-2018 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldjudge (Post 1747752)
Who is Milestone? Are they the latest to the auction party?

Have no clue. Found them on liveauctioneers.

drcy 02-13-2018 04:40 PM

Premier, Paragon, Milestone, Platinum, Legendary-- It's hard to keep all those superlative straight :)

Sean 02-13-2018 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe (Post 1747747)

"Next stop Willoughby"

Yes, there was. I think that Willoughby was the name of a mortuary.

CrackaJackKid 02-13-2018 05:12 PM

And PSA doesn’t grade trimmed/altered cards numerically?

h2oya311 02-13-2018 05:16 PM

I like how lot 78a shows multiple pictures of Hartland Statues of Babe and Ted Williams but the description says that Williams has no bat. Umm...every picture shows him with a bat. What gives?? So many red flags wrt this auction house!! and I've been burned before on LiveAuctioneers with a different AH that sold through that site - Pioneer Auction Gallery. I know there are a few legit AHs on LiveAuctioneers, but I simply wouldn't take the risk of being burned again with a no-name company.

joshuanip 02-13-2018 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h2oya311 (Post 1747779)
I like how lot 78a shows multiple pictures of Hartland Statues of Babe and Ted Williams but the description says that Williams has no bat. Umm...every picture shows him with a bat. What gives?? So many red flags wrt this auction house!! and I've been burned before on LiveAuctioneers with a different AH that sold through that site - Pioneer Auction Gallery. I know there are a few legit AHs on LiveAuctioneers, but I simply wouldn't take the risk of being burned again with a no-name company.

Yeah I kind of agree on the sketchiness of this site. But I’ve used live auctioneers before in the past without a problem in fact I purchased my Ted Williams letters through the site from Seco river.

Fred 02-13-2018 06:36 PM

I think you're safe with Saco River.

timn1 02-13-2018 07:22 PM

Early GAI

No opinion on this card (how can you without an image) but GAI was a legit grading company in its earlier period. I graded a number of things with them early on, and all have crossed without problems.

cardinalcollector 02-13-2018 07:22 PM

Their lot #149:

"Unusual group of baseball cards all on a black background. Babe Ruth, Sandy Koufax, Walter Johnson, Rodgers Hornsby, Ted Williams, Lou Gehrig, Ty Cobb, Honus Wagner. Mint condition. Estimate $80-$150

These were cut from the back page of the 1971 MLBPA Stamps album from their prospective teams. Maybe worth a buck each.

Here is where the Sisler, and Hornsby came from: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Dell-S...gAAOSw6lRadlbo

ullmandds 02-13-2018 07:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
scans are up...its a beauty!!!! likely trimmed but looks similarly sized to psa graded comparables.

TUM301 02-13-2018 07:51 PM

Quote:

"Next stop Willoughby"

I think that was the episode were the guy would get on the commuter train for work and it would take him back to his home town( Wiloughby) 40 years earlier.

Slinger 02-13-2018 07:58 PM

Yea doesn't look like enough border on the top and bottom.

Not worth the risk imo.

RedsFan1941 02-13-2018 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timn1 (Post 1747813)
No opinion on this card (how can you without an image) but GAI was a legit grading company in its earlier period. I graded a number of things with them early on, and all have crossed without problems.

hope you didn't grade this one.

Yoda 02-13-2018 08:26 PM

If the winning bidder doesn't spend a fortune and he/she sends it to PSA where it is deemed trimmed, which I believe it is (top border), I am pretty sure it would at least come back authentic and then would probably fetch $2-3K with some reputable auction house. When GAI was formed and Steve Rocci pulled his coup against PSA, he brought his chief grader Mike Baker with him. Mike graded the early GAI high value submissions and many of the early slabs have "First Graded" on them. I would state that these cards are probably alright. But, of course, card in question would seem to have been graded more recently. Personally, I don't think I would need the agro trying to chase it.

Fred 02-13-2018 08:34 PM

If that doesn't get a AUTH by PSA or SGC then there's something wrong with my eye sight.

bobbyw8469 02-14-2018 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1747839)
If the winning bidder doesn't spend a fortune and he/she sends it to PSA where it is deemed trimmed, which I believe it is (top border), I am pretty sure it would at least come back authentic and then would probably fetch $2-3K with some reputable auction house. When GAI was formed and Steve Rocci pulled his coup against PSA, he brought his chief grader Mike Baker with him. Mike graded the early GAI high value submissions and many of the early slabs have "First Graded" on them. I would state that these cards are probably alright. But, of course, card in question would seem to have been graded more recently. Personally, I don't think I would need the agro trying to chase it.

Not a recent GAI graded card, as the flip has totally changed on the recent stuff.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/8RkAA...g5N/s-l300.jpg

T205 GB 02-14-2018 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrackaJackKid (Post 1747778)
And PSA doesn’t grade trimmed/altered cards numerically?

Not unless it was hand cut from a larger piece!

KCRfan1 02-14-2018 06:02 AM

Quote:

"Next stop Willoughby"

One of my favorite episodes. It did end badly for the main character though....not that we're drawing the same conclusion with the card though. :rolleyes:

toledo_mudhen 02-14-2018 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean (Post 1747777)
Yes, there was. I think that Willoughby was the name of a mortuary.

I was thinking it was the name on the side of the EMS/Coroner Truck?

Leon 02-16-2018 01:16 PM

The higher the amount the less risk I take. The website had me asking what it was and who they were? The Goudey Ruth 144 in the GAI holder better stay in it. The next holder, if the company is legit, will be AUT for trimming.

uniship 02-16-2018 02:07 PM

Lol

The borders seem almost all gone. 7.5. Lol.

Snapolit1 02-16-2018 02:22 PM

Willloughby was the name of a Suburban train station. Awesome episode. One of my favorites.

Leon 02-17-2018 08:30 AM

Or a gamble like this? Great looking card but.....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-CY-YOU...8AAOSw~3pah1M1