Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sad tidings (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=347232)

spec 03-09-2024 07:06 PM

Sad tidings

One of the sobering realities of growing old is having to say goodbye to so many that are dear to us.
Yesterday Ron Johnsen, a pillar of the New England collecting community and my friend for more than 50 years, passed away at 80 in Beverly, MA, after a long battle with dementia. Anyone who collected in the Boston area from the 1970s through 2020 will remember Ron as a dealer of cards and comic books at shows large and small, ranging from Bill Dod's Bishop Guertin show in Nashua, NH, and the GBSCC shows in Wilmington, MA, to Bob Polio's monthly Braintree event. I'll bet many of you, like me, have treasured items in your collection that came from Ron Johnsen.
But Ron was much more than a memorabilia dealer. He was a passionate collector of the sets he grew up with in the 1950s, especially bread end labels and Royal Desserts cards. He also had a special affection for N284 Buchner baseball cards. Ron was devoted to Boston sports teams, living, and mostly dying, with the Red Sox until they exorcised the Curse in 2004, as well as supporting his alma maters, St. John's Prep and Providence College. He also was an avid environmentalist and outdoorsman, climbing all the peaks in the White Mountains and even dragging me to the summit of Mt. Monadnock one afternoon. A secondary school math teacher right out of college, he taught English as a second language for decades.
More important, Ron Johnsen was a loving family man, caring for his late wife Anne for many years and doting on his daughter Rachel Blanchette and grandsons Jacob and Mason. Moreover, Ron was as good a friend as I've ever had. May he rest in peace.
Bob Richardson

theshowandme 03-09-2024 07:28 PM

Sounds like a great man and collector.

Sorry for your loss.

mrreality68 03-09-2024 07:30 PM

Wow.
Sounds like he was truly a good man and had a good life.

Sorry for your loss

Our prayers

Vintagecatcher 03-09-2024 08:06 PM

Very sad news!

Bob,

Sorry for your loss of your dear friend.

I knew Ron for many years, and still have items in my collection that I purchased from him.

He was a soft spoken gentleman, and he always was very fair in his dealings.

I always made sure I said hello to him, whenever, I attended the Shriner's Show.

Patrick McMenemy

Hankphenom 03-09-2024 08:07 PM

Thanks for telling us about him. He sounds like a special guy who lived a terrific life. What more can any of us aspire to?

aelefson 03-09-2024 08:47 PM

I am really sorry to hear this. I have known Ron for many years as he was my favorite dealer at the flea market I frequent in Hollis New Hampshire. He was incredibly generous with sharing his vast knowledge. He was also just a really nice person. I have missed seeing him for the last several years and am really sorry he has passed. However, I am really happy I got to know and learn from him.

Alan

Rich Klein 03-10-2024 11:40 AM

may his memory be for a blessing

rjackson44 03-10-2024 12:08 PM

My mom has dementia sucks ,,rip

Baseball Rarities 03-10-2024 01:37 PM

Ugh. So sorry to hear this. Rest in peace.

The Detroit Collector 03-10-2024 01:42 PM

Beautiful tribute. Very sorry for your loss.

topcat61 03-11-2024 10:02 AM

I'm so sorry to hear about Ron. He was always good to me and was an honest and fair dealer and person. I was able to add a lot of great cards to my collection and he was always there for advice and sharing his knowledge. The hobby lost a great guy.

tombocombo 03-12-2024 01:29 AM

A good man

Many shows with Ron over many years. Greatly respected in New England show circuit. Extremely fair and knowledgeable dealer. Ron will be missed at Boston Shriner Show.

yanksfan09 03-12-2024 02:01 PM

Very sorry for your loss Bob.

oldjudge 03-12-2024 02:31 PM

I never knew Ron but from Bob's description that was my loss. My prayers go out to Ron's family and friends.