Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   1956 Mantle PSA 5....What is this sticker?? (Purple Label Company) (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=254339)

Peter_Spaeth 05-08-2018 12:10 PM

I would think the worst case scenario is probably some corner damage which might affect the grade but would not affect whether they grade.

Eric72 05-08-2018 12:18 PM

Sorry if this has already been brought up...

It seems to me that this new company/product will become a likely target for scammers. If someone can sneak a few fake/altered/compromised slabs through the system, they would be able to (fraudulently) profit from doing so.

Please note, I am NOT saying the person running the business would be doing this. I am merely stating that there will almost certainly be a non-zero amount of crooks looking to exploit this somehow.

bbcemporium 05-08-2018 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1774589)
I would think the worst case scenario is probably some corner damage which might affect the grade but would not affect whether they grade.

I agree

Lothar52 05-13-2018 06:32 AM

If I want to start a company that graded a persons natural toenail “quality” and place a sticker on them such that they get a hotter date..... none of you SOB’s are stopping me!!!!

Let the man do his thing... it’s called Capitalism

Leon 05-13-2018 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lothar52 (Post 1776216)
If I want to start a company that graded a persons natural toenail “quality” and place a sticker on them such that they get a hotter date..... none of you SOB’s are stopping me!!!!

We'll let him do his thing and you can put your full name out here. thanks

Steve D 05-13-2018 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 1772406)
I haven't really decided on what I think about this.

With Coins, the Company is CAC, and they do provide a decent service. Coins have been graded for longer than cards, with all the same issues (shouldn't be a surprise right)
They've been graded for so long, that the "standards" have slipped for several years now, some of it is a need for "new" coins in an acceptable grade, some of it is a lack of coins that are all that great in middle grades. So a VG say 20 years ago would get a better grade today. (Not my opinion, I got that from an article by a very long time dealer. ) So a sticker from CAC actually in most cases does mean "if graded today it will probably grade higher"

I don't see quite the same dynamic in cards. Overall, cards are probably at a point where the standards have tightened up a bit. So I'm thinking that right now it isn't really necessary.
But.........someday it will be. Maybe sooner than later, there's close to 30 years of grading, and the standards have evolved as well as the way they're applied.
PSA got where they are by being "first" (Not actually, but first with some features and certainly first with good marketing)
So if a similar service to CAC is going to happen, and it will (Just did!) It's probably a good business move to start it now.

The big thing in CAC's favor is that it was started by John Albanese, who is a long-time and well respected member of the numismatic community. He has the "credentials"; coin collectors know who he is, and they respect his opinion.

In the case of "Purple Label LLC", who is Greg Campbell? I've been a member of the baseball card community since the 1970s, going to shows, subscribed to Sports Collectors' Digest, The Trader Speaks, Baseball Hobby News, Baseball Cards Magazine, Beckett....., I've been a member of both the CU and Network54 message boards for several years, have bought from/placed bids with most of the major auction houses/dealers, and I have never heard of Greg Campbell anywhere until this thread.

It seems to me, to start something like CAC in the sports card community, and be successful, you should have immediate name recognition; someone like Brent Huigens, Steve Hart, Kit Young, Levi Bleam, Bill Goodwin, Dave Kohler; i.e., someone who has been around for years/decades, and who is known and respected in the community. To me, this Greg Campbell doesn't fit the bill.

Steve

JollyElm 05-13-2018 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lothar52 (Post 1776216)

I've always been under the impression that within a capitalist system, the principle of free speech was very, very important. I guess you disagree with that. Interesting.

bensie 05-14-2018 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruth_rookie (Post 1773295)
I was his first customer and got 2 for 2...

all kidding aside, there's no doubt that all 5's are not equal. Nor 6's. Nor 7's, etc. The question is "are people willing to pay for a third party to make that assessment?" we've already paid good money to have it graded, and now we pay again. not sure what the answer is. only time and the market will tell. can't blame someone for giving it a go, however. I wish you luck in your new endeavor. who knows, maybe it will pan out.

Well, the thing that really confuses me is if you have a '6' with a purple sticker, that implies that it's possibly undergraded, right? So maybe a '7', but not quite. Well, isn't that what the PSA half grades are for? So a '6' with a sticker means that the card is actually a '6.25'? Seems like a stupid idea, and I'd actually pay less for a purple sticker card since I'd have to spend effort removing that ugly purple piece of crap.

Marchillo 05-14-2018 04:49 AM

In theory I don’t think it’s a bad concept. Not every 5 is the same not every 6 is the same etc. I see people on eBay and on BST say their cards are undergraded. So if you don’t want to regrade here is the alternative. My question is how is the sticker determined. Does the company have flaw preferences? Does a card that is centered get a sticker despite having dinged corners and a small wrinkle versus an oc card that has nicer corners and no wrinkles?

The other thing I’ll say is I don’t think this works as a mail in service. I mail in 10 cards I feel are undergraded and get 3 stickers. So I pay $50 for these 3 stickers. Plus shipping etc. seems to me this would work better as an in person service. Charge $1 or $2 for rejects and $5 for the sticker. Not sure if that is profitable enough. Plus you might get a lot of pissed off people who disagree with the rejection of their undergraded cards.

I don’t think I’d personally use the service but based on some of the complaints I see for TPGs I understand the concept.

iwantitiwinit 05-14-2018 05:14 AM

Two questions:

1) How can you ensure you will only sticker say 1% or 5% or any % of the cards submitted. For instance, I submit a card to you on day 1 that you deem to be of high grade and sticker it, day 247 someone else submits another card you also deem is high for the grade and sticker that, etc, etc, etc. To ensure you properly sticker only say 1% you would need to know beforehand how many cards truly exist at the top end of the range for that particular grade. I don't see how thats possible beforehand especially since existing cards are being graded every day thereby increasing the total graded population at any grade. It could end up that a high % of the cards in a particular grade for that player in that issue receive a sticker which ends up causing this selectivity service being self defeating.

2) Assuming you are reviewing the card thru the slab (i'm too lazy to go and see if thats how you review the card) and don't have the raw card in hand so you can't see all the flaws, ie, wavy edges, discolorations, types of stains, etc. As a result I might buy a card that has been stickered but if I submitted it for review to say PSA it might not truly be high end for the grade.

I would think this process could actually de-value a card.

Seems gimicky I will pass.

robkas68 05-14-2018 05:20 AM

purple sticker

Could we have a yellow sticker for every overgraded card. Or perhaps multiple colors. If the card got a 7 but deserves a 6 it could be yellow. If it deserved a 5 it could be orange. If it should have been graded authentic altered it could be red with the letters WTF printed on the sticker. Now that would be a valuable service.

iwantitiwinit 05-14-2018 05:55 AM

Here's an idea lets slab the slab with a purple label rather than purple sticker so it can't be removed. Then in a few years we can make it a black label rather than purple to require resubmission of the slab-slab. Then make a different slab size to require another re-submission for slab-slab, etc. Oh the HUMANITY. This is ridiculous.

bobbyw8469 05-14-2018 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit (Post 1776578)
Here's an idea lets slab the slab with a purple label rather than purple sticker so it can't be removed. Then in a few years we can make it a black label rather than purple to require resubmission of the slab-slab. Then make a different slab size to require another re-submission for slab-slab, etc. Oh the HUMANITY. This is ridiculous.

You forgot.....then introduce QUARTER grades.....and then the ever elusive 9.5!!!

barrysloate 05-14-2018 07:03 AM

CAC stickers are certainly popular in the coin hobby and typically garner a premium. I look at a lot of coins and those that are stickered always have nice surfaces and very good eye appeal. So it does have some credibility.

In the baseball card hobby, cards with perfect or near perfect centering could easily be stickered, as well as those with exceptional eye appeal.

That said, IMO less is more, and we as collectors are relying too much on the opinions of third party graders. In a perfect world we would learn to grade our own cards, and do it accurately so that others would accept our opinions. But slabs have taken over many hobbies, and they have become among the most incredible marketing tools ever.

Peter_Spaeth 05-14-2018 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit (Post 1776570)
Two questions:

1) How can you ensure you will only sticker say 1% or 5% or any % of the cards submitted. For instance, I submit a card to you on day 1 that you deem to be of high grade and sticker it, day 247 someone else submits another card you also deem is high for the grade and sticker that, etc, etc, etc. To ensure you properly sticker only say 1% you would need to know beforehand how many cards truly exist at the top end of the range for that particular grade. I don't see how thats possible beforehand especially since existing cards are being graded every day thereby increasing the total graded population at any grade. It could end up that a high % of the cards in a particular grade for that player in that issue receive a sticker which ends up causing this selectivity service being self defeating.

2) Assuming you are reviewing the card thru the slab (i'm too lazy to go and see if thats how you review the card) and don't have the raw card in hand so you can't see all the flaws, ie, wavy edges, discolorations, types of stains, etc. As a result I might buy a card that has been stickered but if I submitted it for review to say PSA it might not truly be high end for the grade.

I would think this process could actually de-value a card.

Seems gimicky I will pass.

Nobody is going to submit if there is only a 1 in 20 or worse chance of getting the sticker, IMO. And in any event this seems doomed to end up being arbitrary, or political, or both.

steve B 05-14-2018 12:43 PM

That's a really interesting point Steve.

I've collected coins longer than I've collected cards, but with a lot more and longer "vacations" from the hobby. Started coins as a kid, figure around 1970, maybe/probably a bit earlier. Didn't start cards until 73-4 and got more into it in 77. Actually did both plus stamps plus other stuff off and on for a while. Without much budget of course.

With all the time I've taken off from coins, I don't really know who anyone is aside from maybe a few of the really long term people that write for the magazines.

That instant credibility vs relative obscurity is probably going to be a key thing going forward. And it may end up being regional, someone well known in Mass might not be well known in Cal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve D (Post 1776358)
The big thing in CAC's favor is that it was started by John Albanese, who is a long-time and well respected member of the numismatic community. He has the "credentials"; coin collectors know who he is, and they respect his opinion.

In the case of "Purple Label LLC", who is Greg Campbell? I've been a member of the baseball card community since the 1970s, going to shows, subscribed to Sports Collectors' Digest, The Trader Speaks, Baseball Hobby News, Baseball Cards Magazine, Beckett....., I've been a member of both the CU and Network54 message boards for several years, have bought from/placed bids with most of the major auction houses/dealers, and I have never heard of Greg Campbell anywhere until this thread.

It seems to me, to start something like CAC in the sports card community, and be successful, you should have immediate name recognition; someone like Brent Huigens, Steve Hart, Kit Young, Levi Bleam, Bill Goodwin, Dave Kohler; i.e., someone who has been around for years/decades, and who is known and respected in the community. To me, this Greg Campbell doesn't fit the bill.

Steve

steve B 05-14-2018 12:47 PM

We need a facebookesque "like" button.

How do you do it? I could never be that concise and on point.

Steve B

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1776588)
CAC stickers are certainly popular in the coin hobby and typically garner a premium. I look at a lot of coins and those that are stickered always have nice surfaces and very good eye appeal. So it does have some credibility.

In the baseball card hobby, cards with perfect or near perfect centering could easily be stickered, as well as those with exceptional eye appeal.

That said, IMO less is more, and we as collectors are relying too much on the opinions of third party graders. In a perfect world we would learn to grade our own cards, and do it accurately so that others would accept our opinions. But slabs have taken over many hobbies, and they have become among the most incredible marketing tools ever.

barrysloate 05-14-2018 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 1776697)
We need a facebookesque "like" button.

How do you do it? I could never be that concise and on point.

Steve B

I'm a man of few words.:)

Peter_Spaeth 05-14-2018 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 1776695)
That's a really interesting point Steve.

I've collected coins longer than I've collected cards, but with a lot more and longer "vacations" from the hobby. Started coins as a kid, figure around 1970, maybe/probably a bit earlier. Didn't start cards until 73-4 and got more into it in 77. Actually did both plus stamps plus other stuff off and on for a while. Without much budget of course.

With all the time I've taken off from coins, I don't really know who anyone is aside from maybe a few of the really long term people that write for the magazines.

That instant credibility vs relative obscurity is probably going to be a key thing going forward. And it may end up being regional, someone well known in Mass might not be well known in Cal.

I can just see Levi adding 707-HE stickers. :eek:

But to me the issue isn't whether Greg is known, I believe from what has been said that he has the credentials, there are many experts who have flown under the radar. For me, the question is whether this service really adds value and I'm just not in favor of 4th party grading whether it's done by Brent, Greg, or anyone else.

Stampsfan 05-14-2018 01:42 PM

This sounds similar to an audit. That can be somewhat painful.

Leon, can we add a purple sticker to threads? Then we would all know which ones are worth reading and which ones are not.

:D

the 'stache 05-16-2018 05:30 PM

/head explodes

MULLINS5 05-21-2018 07:17 PM

This guy clearly has no idea what he is doing and has already failed.

bobbyw8469 05-22-2018 06:16 AM

Seeing as how he is labeling his own product with wild abandon (whether it truly deserves it or not) while you got a 1 out of 20 shot of getting one yourself tells me all I need to know about this venture.

Leon 05-22-2018 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1779202)
Seeing as how he is labeling his own product with wild abandon (whether it truly deserves it or not) while you got a 1 out of 20 shot of getting one yourself tells me all I need to know about this venture.

I predict we will see more from them soon. And I think they will make a good run at it. A lot of people use CAC for coins? We shall see.....

Peter_Spaeth 05-22-2018 06:24 AM

What is the point of applying a purple label to a card Beckett already has graded Gem Mint?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-Bowman...4AAOSwFUxa7lS9

Leon 05-22-2018 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1779205)
What is the point of applying a purple label to a card Beckett already has graded Gem Mint?

I will let them answer questions for themselves. I spoke with the owner very recently. He understands the uphill battle. I told him I don't need his services and a lot of board members don't either. That said, there are more coin collectors than card collectors and CAC seems to be doing fine. Maybe the 9.5 is a high end 9.5?

Peter_Spaeth 05-22-2018 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1779207)
I will let them answer questions for themselves. I spoke with the owner very recently. He understands the uphill battle. I told him I don't need his services and a lot of board members don't either. That said, there are more coin collectors than card collectors and CAC seems to be doing fine. Maybe the 9.5 is a high end 9.5?

A high end Gem Mint? Head explodes, as Bill G. said.

bobbyw8469 05-22-2018 06:38 AM

If this business wants to succeed, IF it starts getting popular, the #1 thing he should do is hire an impartial grader. After seeing this sticker on the Johnny Bench PSA 1 with all the numerous flaws it had leads me to believe he IS NOT impartial. Like Leon, there might be a need for this in the future. PWCC already got the ball rolling with their HE stickers. When you are trying to get yourself established NOW is not the time for half measures.

pokerplyr80 05-22-2018 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1779205)

Possible bump to a psa 10?

clydepepper 05-22-2018 12:29 PM

Hey, I used to do the same thing with my girlfriends...used to....

:mad::cool:

calvindog 05-22-2018 12:37 PM

I hope these guys don't quit their day jobs.

Aquarian Sports Cards 05-22-2018 01:36 PM

who, the comedians or the sticker guys? :D

supermint1975 05-22-2018 02:05 PM

Purple Stickers

They posted a bunch of cards with stickers on their facebook page. They actually look pretty nice.

https://www.facebook.com/purplelabelcard/

Bliggity 05-22-2018 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supermint1975 (Post 1779392)
They posted a bunch of cards with stickers on their facebook page. They actually look pretty nice.

https://www.facebook.com/purplelabelcard/

I see a 1960 Fleer Jack Kemp PSA 8 that's off-center with bad registration.
A 1966 Topps Mantle PSA 4 with a diamond cut and moderate corner wear.
A 1978 OPC Murray PSA 8 that's off-center.
A 1960 Topps Yaz RC PSA 5 with significant PD.

All cards that I would consider average for the grade.

Does not inspire confidence.

bobbyw8469 05-22-2018 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bliggity (Post 1779397)
I see a 1960 Fleer Jack Kemp PSA 8 that's off-center with bad registration.
A 1966 Topps Mantle PSA 4 with a diamond cut and moderate corner wear.
A 1978 OBC Murray PSA 8 that's off-center.
A 1960 Topps Yaz RC PSA 5 with significant PD.

All cards that I would consider average for the grade.

Does not inspire confidence.

That's what I am saying. It cheapens the brand when these stickers are handed out willy-nilly. They should ONLY be reserved for top tier items. I do want to see this person succeed. He needs to take the advice he has been given here to heart though.

Rookiemonster 05-22-2018 02:40 PM

I still would like a answer to my questions.

I’ll ask one of them again . How can a 10 or for a better example a BGS 9.5 get a purple sticker ? Is it better then most 9.5s? How ?

pokerplyr80 05-22-2018 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rookiemonster (Post 1779402)
I still would like a answer to my questions.

I’ll ask one of them again . How can a 10 or for a better example a BGS 9.5 get a purple sticker ? Is it better then most 9.5s? How ?

Better centering, free of minor print defects or other small flaws that are still permitted on a 9.5 or 10.

Peter_Spaeth 05-22-2018 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1779472)
Better centering, free of minor print defects or other small flaws that are still permitted on a 9.5 or 10.

And how many BGS 9.5 Mariano Riveras do you think you would have to examine before you could say with confidence that a particular one was the 1 in 20 that merited the purple sticker?

Orioles1954 05-22-2018 07:37 PM

Not sure if this question has been asked or answered yet. However, what provisions are made if a "purple label" holder does not crossover or get a better grade through re-submission? Are only PSA, SGC and BGS holders evaluated? What about GAI?

pokerplyr80 05-22-2018 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1779475)
And how many BGS 9.5 Mariano Riveras do you think you would have to examine before you could say with confidence that a particular one was the 1 in 20 that merited the purple sticker?

Yea I'm not saying I felt that Rivera deserved a purple sticker. And I already stated I think this idea is pretty ridiculous and unnecessary. But there are cards I've seen that have had noticable difference between one 9.5 or 10 and another. I have seen off center psa 10s, and others with focus issues or print defects. Look at a few 86 Jordans for example.

Peter_Spaeth 05-22-2018 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1779574)
Yea I'm not saying I felt that Rivera deserved a purple sticker. And I already stated I think this idea is pretty ridiculous and unnecessary. But there are cards I've seen that have had noticable difference between one 9.5 or 10 and another. I have seen off center psa 10s, and others with focus issues or print defects. Look at a few 86 Jordans for example.

Well sure Beckett 9.5s explicitly have different subgrades so sure you can get ones with better surface, centering, corners, etc. PSA 10s should have less variance but yes I have seen that as well. But as you know we don't need a purple sticker to tell us a card is centered.

bnorth 05-22-2018 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orioles1954 (Post 1779525)
Not sure if this question has been asked or answered yet. However, what provisions are made if a "purple label" holder does not crossover or get a better grade through re-submission? Are only PSA, SGC and BGS holders evaluated? What about GAI?

Why would a purple sticker guarantee a better grade? I never seen this anyplace, did you?

If you go to the website it will answer your questions on what companies they work with.

Rookiemonster 05-22-2018 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1779576)
Well sure Beckett 9.5s explicitly have different subgrades so sure you can get ones with better surface, centering, corners, etc. PSA 10s should have less variance but yes I have seen that as well. But as you know we don't need a purple sticker to tell us a card is centered.

Right , I don’t think a 10 can get a purple sticker. If it does then I would also question the grading company. Your telling me this card that is graded ABOVE MINT condition can be better then other 10s? I feel like I’m studying string theory. I get it but is it really possible?

pokerplyr80 05-22-2018 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rookiemonster (Post 1779588)
Right , I don’t think a 10 can get a purple sticker. If it does then I would also question the grading company. Your telling me this card that is graded ABOVE MINT condition can be better then other 10s? I feel like I’m studying string theory. I get it but is it really possible?

Yes.

pokerplyr80 05-22-2018 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1779576)

I think we're in agreement Peter. I dont need a purple sticker to tell me a card looks better than its grade either. But to discount this company simply because they put a sticker on a bgs 9.5 or psa 10 card would be a mistake in my opinion. There are plenty of other reasons to do so.

vintagetoppsguy 05-26-2018 08:26 AM

I see these guys are advertisers here now. Good luck to them...they're going to need it.

Leon 05-26-2018 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 1780658)
I see these guys are advertisers here now. Good luck to them...they're going to need it.

+1 Believe me, I told them they would need more than a lot of luck, maybe a miracle? LOL Stranger things have happened and my guess is CAC got the same treatment when they started. I am with the rest of the board on this one though and only playing some devil's advocate for conversation.

ps...they will need to tighten up their standards at the very least, from some things I (and others) have seen.

lowpopper 05-27-2018 06:32 PM

Purple Label

Thank you Leon for the advertising opportunity. Also, thank you to
everyone who had comments or suggestions. Everybody has been
heard loud and clear. Your critique [good or bad] is actually vital to
the growth of our service. I say that with absolute sincerity.

Thanks to everyone again,

Greg

Kmad515 06-08-2018 08:19 PM

Can't wait to start my new business. Just need to get my website up...www.gradinggradingcards.com. Also, working on my new "blue labels" and my advertising campaign. "Not happy with your Purple Label review? Send your purple label cards to us for a truly independent review and we will tell you which purple labels really are the best in their purple label grading class by issuing our Blue Label stamp of approval! Just call us the guys who grade the guys who grade the guys who grade your cards!" 😂

mechanicalman 06-08-2018 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kmad515 (Post 1784970)
Can't wait to start my new business. Just need to get my website up...www.gradinggradingcards.com. Also, working on my new "blue labels" and my advertising campaign. "Not happy with your Purple Label review? Send your purple label cards to us for a truly independent review and we will tell you which purple labels really are the best in their purple label grading class by issuing our Blue Label stamp of approval! Just call us the guys who grade the guys who grade the guys who grade your cards!" 😂

New guy coming in hot! But seriously, welcome.