Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Whatever happened to these long-time dealers? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=349008)

mannequin1 05-01-2024 02:59 PM

Whatever happened to these long-time dealers?

Tom Reid, Brian Morris, Paul Lewicki, Joe Badalucco, Brigandi Coin, Pat Quinn, Joe Valle, Lew Lipset ?

sb1 05-01-2024 03:18 PM

Retired or no longer with us..

mannequin1 05-01-2024 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sb1 (Post 2430652)
Retired or no longer with us..

Which ones are no longer with us?

packs 05-01-2024 03:56 PM

I've been on Brigandi's e-mail list for a long time but I haven't gotten one in about a year.

ocjack 05-01-2024 04:07 PM

What about Tony Galovich and Rick Salvino?

Rich Klein 05-01-2024 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mannequin1 (Post 2430646)
Tom Reid, Brian Morris, Paul Lewicki, Joe Badalucco, Brigandi Coin, Pat Quinn, Joe Valle, Lew Lipset ?

I will update with the ones I am aware of to the best of my knowledge

Tom Reid -- Passed September 2001

Brian Morris -- Not really active in cards

Paul Lewicki -- not really active in cards. His sone pitched in the majors a few years back and the son also was involved earlier this year or late last year in a major unopened find.

Pat Quinn-- still with us as far as I know. He still comes to the Chicago NSCC

Lew Lipset -- Retired

Regards
Rich

Rich Klein 05-01-2024 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ocjack (Post 2430663)
What about Tony Galovich and Rick Salvino?

I heard that Mr. Galovich had passed but I'm not 100 percent sure

boysblue 05-01-2024 04:38 PM

What about TJ Schwartz? He used to write a column in Tuff Stuff that I enjoyed reading. Was it called 'On Your Side'?

mannequin1 05-01-2024 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Klein (Post 2430666)
I will update with the ones I am aware of to the best of my knowledge

Tom Reid -- Passed September 2001

Brian Morris -- Not really active in cards

Paul Lewicki -- not really active in cards. His sone pitched in the majors a few years back and the son also was involved earlier this year or late last year in a major unopened find.

Pat Quinn-- still with us as far as I know. He still comes to the Chicago NSCC

Lew Lipset -- Retired

Regards
Rich

Tom Reid was one of my favorites. I knew him since I was a kid. He was a real character. He dealt in oddball items before they became popular. Always had a cigarette in hand. He had high prices but when you bought in bulk he'd give you a really good deal. RIP Tom!

Huck 05-01-2024 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boysblue (Post 2430672)
What about TJ Schwartz? He used to write a column in Tuff Stuff that I enjoyed reading. Was it called 'On Your Side'?

Yes, the column was titled "On Your Side". Each month, I looked forward to reading the column. After one issue (Mantle restaurant chair) I emailed TJ and he responded! He is still out there.

https://www.instagram.com/porkyssportscards/?hl=en

doug.goodman 05-01-2024 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huck (Post 2430706)
Yes, the column was titled "On Your Side". Each month, I looked forward to reading the column. After one issue (Mantle restaurant chair) I emailed TJ and he responded! He is still out there.

Note that he last posted on Instacart in 2016 and I believe the location of his shop is now a hookah place.

ruth-gehrig 05-01-2024 07:47 PM

What happened to unopened pack dealer Mark Murphy? I remember his ads in SCD back in the days and seeing multiple packs of 1952 Topps he was selling from a find he uncovered. Should have bought one :rolleyes:
Actually i think a lady contacted him with multiple packs and sold to him. He had a ton of unopened early baseball packs.

Tabe 05-01-2024 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig (Post 2430723)
What happened to unopened pack dealer Mark Murphy? I remember his ads in SCD back in the days and seeing multiple packs of 1952 Topps he was selling from a find he uncovered. Should have bought one :rolleyes:
Actually i think a lady contacted him with multiple packs and sold to him. He had a ton of unopened early baseball packs.

I believe he retired after a fire or flood destroyed his inventory.

Rich Klein 05-01-2024 08:29 PM

Dr Beckett and myself (both of us knew Tom well) taped a tribute podcast to him a while back

https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/b5...ith-rich-klein

Tony Gordon 05-01-2024 09:04 PM

I see Pat Quinn every month at the card show at the Civic Center in Orland Park, IL. He is usually one of the first guys through the door. He still sets up occasionally. I have been buying cards from him since I was 12. I'm now 57. One of the nicest guys you will ever meet and incredibly knowledgeable. His history in the hobby is unmatched.

mannequin1 05-01-2024 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Klein (Post 2430734)
Dr Beckett and myself (both of us knew Tom well) taped a tribute podcast to him a while back

https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/b5...ith-rich-klein

I just listened to the podcast. Great memories.

perezfan 05-01-2024 10:41 PM

A couple more names from the good ole SCD days...

Shoebox Cards (Wayne Varner) and Mike Wheat Cards... Anyone know if they're still around and/or in the biz?

And does anyone remember Teletrade?

Peter_Spaeth 05-01-2024 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2430755)

Shoebox Cards (Wayne Varner) and Mike Wheat Cards... Anyone know if they're still around and/or in the biz?

Wayne died several years ago. I am not sure about Mike. Teletrade seems prehistoric looking back. That robotic voice.

whiteymet 05-01-2024 10:54 PM

I had dinner with Pat Quinn, John Rumeriez and Eric Lange at last years National in Chicago. We go back to the early "conventions" as they were called in the early 70's. Pat still runs a mail order auction and his son posts things for sale here in the BST threads.

Tom Rid was a character! As noted he always had the oddball stuff.

Wayne Varner passed away a few years ago I believe. His good friend "Zimp" Bill Zimpleman who was always at this table is a member here.

Another old time dealer Gar Miller from NJ still sells stuff.

Lorewalker 05-02-2024 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huck (Post 2430706)

I believe TJ passed away in 2022. Might have even been mentioned on here at one point.

Lorewalker 05-02-2024 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 2430662)
I've been on Brigandi's e-mail list for a long time but I haven't gotten one in about a year.

https://www.brigandicoin.com/

Rich Klein 05-02-2024 09:15 AM

I thought I had heard Mike Wheat passed 1-2 years ago but I'm not totally sure

jayshum 05-02-2024 09:27 AM

Does anyone know if Roger Neufeldt is still active as a dealer? He used to be at the Philly Show but I haven't seen him there in years.

Rich Klein 05-02-2024 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayshum (Post 2430817)
Does anyone know if Roger Neufeldt is still active as a dealer? He used to be at the Philly Show but I haven't seen him there in years.

Roger does not travel nearly as much as he used to but he's doing fine and sets up at the Dallas Card Show every 2 months. Always good to see him and his crew,

Rich

jingram058 05-02-2024 10:47 AM

Does anyone know anything about Harvey Brandwein of National Pastime? My Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Ty Cobb signed official Harridge AL ball was authenticated by him. I got this ball at the Chanute AFB PX back in the 1980s. I didn't buy it from him, but he was there. Last I heard he was still around and doing alright.

Snapolit1 05-02-2024 10:57 AM

Brigandi has been holding Collector Events in NYC a few times a year. Still in business and some very nice folks.

Peter_Spaeth 05-02-2024 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2430834)
Brigandi has been holding Collector Events in NYC a few times a year. Still in business and some very nice folks.

In the day, they sure had a lot of high grade raw cards. Used to enjoy their SCD ads, and those of Steve Timmons.

Snapolit1 05-02-2024 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2430836)
In the day, they sure had a lot of high grade raw cards. Used to enjoy their SCD ads, and those of Steve Timmons.

My office was a few blocks away when they were on 44th Street. When I had enough of the usual office crap I would walk over to their showroom and wander around for 20 minutes. Was probably the first time I ever considered getting into the collecting thing.

Peter_Spaeth 05-02-2024 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2430838)
My office was a few blocks away when they were on 44th Street. When I had enough of the usual office crap I would walk over to their showroom and wander around for 20 minutes. Was probably the first time I ever considered getting into the collecting thing.

All raw, all Mint or close. Amazing. Steve too.

Seven 05-02-2024 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2430834)

I have to be on the lookout for them as I'm still in New York.

As a side note, I always loved speaking to the older collectors and dealers at conventions. Just talking about the hobby, how things have changed, and their interactions with the legends of the game that have passed.

Might not have his spelling right, but does anyone know if George Mollyn is still with us? Bought from him a couple of times when I was a kid in Cooperstown, and he was dealing at the show at the Cooperstown Veterans Club, which I'm nearly positive was run by our own Ted Z. I must've talked his ear off about the 33 and 34 Goudey sets.

Should we start keeping a running list of old time dealers and where they set up? I sure think so!

Aquarian Sports Cards 05-02-2024 11:35 AM

George is still around and still doing the Allentown mall shows as well as Cooperstown last I knew. He consigns every now and then.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seven (Post 2430844)
I have to be on the lookout for them as I'm still in New York.

As a side note, I always loved speaking to the older collectors and dealers at conventions. Just talking about the hobby, how things have changed, and their interactions with the legends of the game that have passed.

Might not have his spelling right, but does anyone know if George Mollyn is still with us? Bought from him a couple of times when I was a kid in Cooperstown, and he was dealing at the show at the Cooperstown Veterans Club, which I'm nearly positive was run by our own Ted Z. I must've talked his ear off about the 33 and 34 Goudey sets.

Should we start keeping a running list of old time dealers and where they set up? I sure think so!

Seven 05-02-2024 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 2430845)
George is still around and still doing the Allentown mall shows as well as Cooperstown last I knew. He consigns every now and then.

I wasn't even sure if there was still a Cooperstown show anymore. I'm guessing he's up there for Hall of Fame weekend? Allentown might be a better shot for me to purchase something from him again, if he sets up there more often. Is there a schedule when the shows happen? Thank you!

Yoda 05-02-2024 12:07 PM

David Festberg is off in Tibet seeking a holy man.

Aquarian Sports Cards 05-02-2024 01:04 PM

Just got off the phone with George Mollyn, was nice to chat with him again, so thanks for the thread! He says if they put Mattingly or Munson in, he'll be at Cooperstown this year but otherwise he might be done there. He's still doing the Allentown, PA mall scene.

Just had a hip replacement but is recovering well.

LEHR 05-02-2024 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Klein (Post 2430826)
Roger does not travel nearly as much as he used to but he's doing fine and sets up at the Dallas Card Show every 2 months. Always good to see him and his crew,

Rich

Roger was one of my favorite old-time (pre-internet) dealers to deal with. I used to buy from him at St. Louis shows back in the early/mid 90's. Over half my 55 Bowman baseball set came from Roger over the course of 3-4 shows and a couple of years. When I got into grading cards in the late 90's several of those 55 Bowman's I got from Roger pulled PSA 8's with a few 9's. I also bought my first T206 Lajoie from him. Roger was always friendly and great to deal with back in the day. Glad to here he's still in the game and doing well.

oaks1912 05-02-2024 02:07 PM

David Festberg is back in the U.S. and is thinking about re-entering the collectible field.... Roger Neufeldt has scaled back on the abusive show schedule, but still actively participating the the hobby / business.

bigfanNY 05-02-2024 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2430755)

Teletrade was big business but the day to day face was Andy Sandler who runs All Sport Auctions. He he is great guy and passionate collector.

effe 05-02-2024 02:44 PM

Paul Marchant was the first guy I did mail order with, would have been the late 70's. He'd mailed out sale list every couple months, I think I still have a couple of them lying around somewhere.

This ticket was my one and only Teletrade purchase.
https://www.net54baseball.com/pictur...ictureid=19742

jayshum 05-02-2024 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEHR (Post 2430873)
Roger was one of my favorite old-time (pre-internet) dealers to deal with. I used to buy from him at St. Louis shows back in the early/mid 90's. Over half my 55 Bowman baseball set came from Roger over the course of 3-4 shows and a couple of years. When I got into grading cards in the late 90's several of those 55 Bowman's I got from Roger pulled PSA 8's with a few 9's. I also bought my first T206 Lajoie from him. Roger was always friendly and great to deal with back in the day. Glad to here he's still in the game and doing well.

I bought plenty of cards for my Topps sets from Roger in the mid to late 90s at the Philly shows over those years. It's good to hear he's doing well even if he's not traveling to as many shows anymore.

scgaynor 05-02-2024 09:27 PM

I sold Tom Reids collection back about 2003. Lots of oddball and lots of duplication. His basement was packed and he had drawers just jam packed with items in no real order. Lots of pins too (sports and nonsports)

Scott

Tabe 05-02-2024 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Klein (Post 2430815)
I thought I had heard Mike Wheat passed 1-2 years ago but I'm not totally sure

His web site is still up but definitely doesn't seem updated.

kkkkandp 05-03-2024 04:49 AM

Back in the Teletrade Era I got quite a few prewar cards via online auctions from Jim Maxwell and Ginny Caputo out of Lampeter, PA. I think they are both still around selling antiques.

ALBB 05-03-2024 05:18 AM

dealer

Gar Miller

Daveyc 05-03-2024 06:41 AM

This is the first I have heard that TJ Schwartz had passed. I was a voracious Tuff Stuff reader for many years and "on your side" was the first column I turned to every month. I never met him, or bought anything from him, but I certainly enjoyed his writing.

RIP TJ

Daveyc 05-03-2024 06:48 AM

Is Kit Young still active? I know he used to advertise everywhere and had set up a hobby trade show that was in Hawaii, I think. He must be getting up there in age.

Rich Klein 05-03-2024 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daveyc (Post 2431017)
Is Kit Young still active? I know he used to advertise everywhere and had set up a hobby trade show that was in Hawaii, I think. He must be getting up there in age.

Kit is doing fine. His business is still going strong. His house in Hawaii burned down in the Maui fires but thankfully no one was hurt during that event. He did find a new place to stay in Hawaii this past winter.

He is reasonably active on facebook.

Rich

darkhorse9 05-03-2024 07:11 AM

When I was a kid (in the late 70's) the dealer that first exposed me to vintage cards was Jim Elder out of Odessa, Florida. Every month I would get his catalog and dream of owning some of them. I remember saving up enough to be able to by a 1951 Bowman (Johnny Wyrostek) and then later a 1941 Play Ball of Harry "Gunboat" Gumpert.

BillyCoxDodgers3B 05-03-2024 07:53 AM

Hilarious. The 51B Wyrostek was the second vintage card I ever purchased. The first was 57T Jablonski. Third, 57T Ditmar. Fourth, 52B Dropo. The Ditmar disappeared years ago, but still have the others. Dropo signed his for me about 30 years ago.

Funnier still is that these cards were all newer when I purchased them than the junk wax that came out at the same time is today.

jingram058 05-03-2024 08:39 AM

Harvey Brandwein, who used to run The National Pastime and also organized card shows, is retired but still living.

akleinb611 05-03-2024 12:04 PM

As I've noted in other postings, my closest hobby friend was Bob Bostoff of Empire State Collectibles. He advertised in SCD and was a HUGE presence in NY-area card shows. His table always featured a little bit of everything, from cards, yearbooks, autographs and whatever. He passed away about fifteen years ago, and anyone who ever did business with him misses him.

One old time dealer I'm curious about is Ted Elmo, an autograph dealer active back in the Sixties(!). He advertised in Baseball Digest and would sell common Hall of Famers on 3x5 index cards for fifty cents. You know, common HOF players like Frisch, Dean, Crawford and Cochrane. He seems to have disappeared by the mid Seventies and I can't find any information about him at all, except form some indirect references to "something" that may have clouded his reputation?