Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Philly Show this weekend>>> (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=228843)

lancemountain 09-20-2016 08:49 AM

Philly Show this weekend>>>

Hello! I have not been to this show in a few years and was planning on going this year either Saturday or Sunday morning.

Has anyone been to this show recently? My main focus would be pre-war so I'm interested to hear how many dealers and such will have the types of cards I would be interested in.

Thank you!

Eric72 09-20-2016 08:58 AM

I have been there quite a few times during recent years and find a little of everything.

I'm not sure what particular pre-war cards you're looking for, but if you can attend, and it's not too far of a drive, go for it.

lancemountain 09-20-2016 09:07 AM

I live in center city Philadelphia so the trip is a short one. Do you know what time dealers stay till on Sunday?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Aquarian Sports Cards 09-20-2016 11:11 AM

I'm booth 413, I'll have a decent selection of E and T cards and I stay until the posted hours!

Eric72 09-20-2016 12:57 PM

I typically arrive in the morning and stay until 2 in the afternoon or so. I have not witnessed a mass exodus during those hours.

Cobra Kai 09-21-2016 11:02 AM

Just saw that Carson Wentz will no longer be attending on Friday night.

curch 09-21-2016 03:16 PM

Can't make it this time around.

e107collector 09-21-2016 05:09 PM

I was planning on going, but I'm getting married this Saturday. Oh well :)

Tony

Al C.risafulli 09-21-2016 05:18 PM

Sadly LOTG will be missing this one due to a trip I can't reschedule. We'll be back next time!

-Al

Eric72 09-21-2016 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e107collector (Post 1587197)
I was planning on going, but I'm getting married this Saturday. Oh well :)

Tony

Congratulations!

DeafSports 09-23-2016 07:04 AM

Im thinking of going and check the show out but i don't see autograph guest on the website anymore so I have no clue who would be there.

Anyone of you have the guest and their time?

Hope to find some T206 Taylors there :)

Best,
Danny

Aquarian Sports Cards 09-25-2016 09:25 AM

Just had a guy come past my table with about a dozen autographed t206's and a pile of rare backs, hindu brown, drum, lenox. Not a member (tried to get him to join!)

Bored5000 09-25-2016 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1588317)
Just had a guy come past my table with about a dozen autographed t206's and a pile of rare backs, hindu brown, drum, lenox. Not a member (tried to get him to join!)

There are many amazing collections and pick-ups that get posted on here all the time. I have often wondered what percentage of people with, say, a million dollars worth of cards are members here.

aelefson 09-25-2016 06:40 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Hi-

I have heard about this show for years, but had never gotten a chance to go until this one. I know the show has lost a lot of dealers, but I had a great time overall. I was most surprised by how few people I saw walking through the show and I was there from 9am until about 2pm on Saturday. I expected that to be the busiest time. It seemed pretty empty to me but that could also be the open layout.

The main reason I had a great time was the items I purchased. I purchased a nice 1905 Philadelphia with Bender, Plank, and Waddell that I will use to upgrade my Plank item in my HOF collection (currently an E91 with the name trimmed off). I also purchased a really cool photograph of Walter Johnson (is he with Ray Schalk?), and an 1889 London Illustrated baseball woodcut with images of Cap Anson and other hall of famers.

The fourth item I purchased is probably one of my favorite items in my collection now. It is an 1868 copyright (1871 written inside) Henry Chadwick scorebook produced by Peck and Snyder. It has several games scored for a team called the Actives. They were from Dubuque and played other teams in Dubuque. I checked all of the pages and there are no early career hall of famers that I am aware of (although on one of the last pages there is an A Spaulding (the middle letter could be a G but I am not sure). I doubt it is the famous Spalding as he was playing in Boston then.

This fits my collection both for early baseball ephemera and it will serve as my Henry Chadwick item in my HOF collection. I am very excited to own this book. I will post pictures of the book and woodcut later, but here are scans of the postcard, Walter Johnson photo, and a scan of the cover of the Chadwick book (might be rebound?).

Alan

Leon 09-26-2016 06:00 AM

Nice pick ups Alan. Hunt (Philly Show) alienated some dealers several years back with saying they couldn't set up at this show if they set up at others that were close by. What a stupid call that was.
I probably wouldn't set up at that show for that reason but would maybe attend someday.

Snapolit1 09-26-2016 08:54 AM

On the East Coast we have an embarassment of riches on shows. Last weekend Philadelphia and some smaller shows in NJ. Next weekend White Plains. Sure for most board members they wish there was a single show the could go to. Hate to say it, but almost too many shows.

jbsports33 09-26-2016 03:24 PM

Alan,

Glad you attended the show - we use to setup, for at least 5 years until Hunt Auctions moved in and changed things for the same reasons Leon mentioned. I would like to at least get back and walk the show again myself

Jimmy

aelefson 09-26-2016 08:34 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks Leon and Jimmy. I wish I had gone to the show in its heyday. Below are pictures of the woodcut and a couple of pictures of the inside of the scorebook.

Alan

Aquarian Sports Cards 09-26-2016 08:58 PM

hmmm that woodcut changed hands 3 times that day! Someone tried to sell it to me, must've sold it to a dealer, who then sold it to you. So yes attendance was definitely light but the action was heavy lol.