Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Which Auction House: SCP, Robert Edward, Leland's, OR?? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=127395)

nowhouse 09-04-2010 09:05 PM

Which Auction House: SCP, Robert Edward, Leland's, OR??

I want to auction a memento of my childhood, a 1958 World Series Program with 65 MBraves and Yankees signatures. I listed on Ebay but ended my auction early. I was advised by a number of Ebay sellers to try a specialized Sports Memorabilia auction house instead. I've talked to reps from several auction services, and they all are very persuasive. I need to decide where to consign my program in the next couple of days to get in a Fall auction-most of which are at deadline. I'm not a dealer or collector-ZERO experience with the subject or any of these services. Do you guys have any advice?

I'm not looking for offers, just suggestions. You can take a look at my program in the completed auctions listings at ebay. The item number is: 250690015148

Thanks for any tips~

Mark J.

slidekellyslide 09-04-2010 09:33 PM

Robert Edward Auctions does not have a Fall auction, but I think you'd do yourself a favor by putting it in their Spring 2011 auction.

Here's the link to your incredible program.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_8519wt_1079

nowhouse 09-04-2010 10:00 PM

SCP has a World Series Auction of 1500 lots in October. That sounded like a good fit and I can still get in. Thoughts?

Orioles1954 09-04-2010 10:25 PM

Hello Mark,

I would also like to put in a good word for the auction house that I work with as a Senior Writer, Huggins & Scott in Silver Spring, Maryland. We have a great reputation and you would have writers with over 25 years each of hobby experience handling your material. Our next auction is in November and we have a consignment representative in Minnesota. Contact us at 1-866-462-2273 and ask for myself (James) or Bill Huggins. Take care,

James

nowhouse 09-04-2010 10:36 PM

Thanks James! I already talked to someone from Huggins & Scott who was pretty discouraging. I 'll give you a call~ Mark

perezfan 09-05-2010 12:42 AM

I know some people around here like to bash Legendary. But they have realized some strong prices lately (in the face of a bad economy). Plus, they are getting some great consignments as of late.

The last items I consigned to them did VERY well, and they paid me fast. They also gave me a big break on the consignment fee (especially in comparison to what the other Houses wanted).

They have a November Premier Event, with a consignment deadline of September 24. For your specific item, I think Legendary would be the best fit, and you still have nearly 3 weeks to make their deadline. You would be paid in December, as opposed to late May/early June 2011 (if you were to wait for REA).

No knock on REA... they are "cream of the crop" but it is a long wait. I know they tout their cash advances, so maybe that's an option if you don't like Legendary, Hunts, Lelands, Heritage or SCP (all of whom are viable options).

If it were my item (and given the current market conditions/timing) I would use Legendary. As long as you avoid Grey Flannel and AMI, you should do fine...

FUBAR 09-05-2010 01:01 AM

I love Huggins and Scott Auctions... of all the auctions i browse, they are my favorite!

Disclaimer: i've never been a seller!

I personally don't think you can go wrong with any of the big auction companies..... Just avoid Coach's Corner at any and all cost!

barrysloate 09-05-2010 05:41 AM

All the reputable auction houses have the same pool of bidders. Just go with the one you feel most comfortable working with.

Bridwell 09-05-2010 07:42 AM

Scp

The timing on using SCP seems like a good choice. I can put in a good word for them. I've bought from SCP and think they are great.

benchod 09-05-2010 10:31 AM

Great program!
Please let us know which auction it will appear in

nowhouse 09-05-2010 11:21 AM

I sure will Craig!

Orioles1954 09-05-2010 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nowhouse (Post 834266)
Thanks James! I already talked to someone from Huggins & Scott who was pretty discouraging. I 'll give you a call~ Mark

Discouraging? Give me a call and will definitely see what's going on.

James

nowhouse 09-07-2010 02:40 PM

I've got it narrowed down to Leland's or Legendary. I also relisted the last item form my little MBraves archive on Ebay-a 1963 Milwaukee Braves Elks Club dinner program with 19 Braves Autographs, Ebay item no. 250693455350. Take a look! Thanks again for all of the helpful information! Mark

gordonanalytic 10-08-2010 08:55 PM

Huggins & Scott is a solid house.
Hunts is very good. They have a monthly auctions.
I have found that NY related material does well.

Heritage - I would avoid them. Arrogant people. Note: for the sake of full disclosure I have had recent issues with them