Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What kind of cards are these? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=271290)

Georj 07-15-2019 05:14 AM

What kind of cards are these?

1 Attachment(s)
Just picked these up at a card show but know nothing about them. The card stock is the same thickness as a modern card but is kind of a manilla color. They have blank backs. The Mclain card is for size comparison. Does anybody know anything about these?

quitcrab 07-15-2019 05:19 AM

McLain is a 1970 topps

cdn_collector 07-15-2019 07:05 PM

I believe the other three belong to a set called '1972 Classic Cards.'

I don't know *too* much about them, except that, well, they were issued in 1972. I believe it'll say on the back, but I believe they were issued in Flint, Michigan. The set consists of 120 cards distributed in 4 30-card series.

They are tough. It took me years to track down a George Gibson card for my collection, and I had to buy the entire 30-card series to get it. On the plus side, that also landed me a Bill O'Hara.

Cheers,

Richard.

Georj 07-16-2019 04:56 AM

Thank you, Richard, for the information. It is very helpful. The only thing different about my cards is that they are blank backed instead of having a checklist on them

quitcrab 07-16-2019 05:20 AM

I am a fool. Just read the McLain is for size comparison! Good luck with the other cards. I had a feeling they where from the 70s.

GasHouseGang 07-16-2019 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdn_collector (Post 1899247)
I believe the other three belong to a set called '1972 Classic Cards.'

I don't know *too* much about them, except that, well, they were issued in 1972. I believe it'll say on the back, but I believe they were issued in Flint, Michigan. The set consists of 120 cards distributed in 4 30-card series.

They are tough. It took me years to track down a George Gibson card for my collection, and I had to buy the entire 30-card series to get it. On the plus side, that also landed me a Bill O'Hara.

Cheers,

Richard.

I think Richard is on the right trail. I looked them up in an old 2008 SCD Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards and it says:
"The set depicts players from 1900-1909 in sepia-tone photos printed on thin, cream-colored card stock by the Flint, MI company not related to the 1990s card maker of the same name. The first series features sequentially numbered cards, the remainder marked only with the series number. Card size is 2-3/4" x 4-1/2" for the first series and 2-3/4" x 4-1/4" for the last three 30 card series."

Your cards appear in the checklist as #1-Griffith, #3-Ganley, #27-Ames

But your cards seem too thick for what is described in the catalog and your cards aren't numbered if they are blank backed. So maybe they were cut off an advertisement for the set?

David

clydepepper 07-17-2019 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GasHouseGang (Post 1899422)
I think Richard is on the right trail. I looked them up in an old 2008 SCD Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards and it says:
"The set depicts players from 1900-1909 in sepia-tone photos printed on thin, cream-colored card stock by the Flint, MI company not related to the 1990s card maker of the same name. The first series features sequentially numbered cards, the remainder marked only with the series number. Card size is 2-3/4" x 4-1/2" for the first series and 2-3/4" x 4-1/4" for the last three 30 card series."

Your cards appear in the checklist as #1-Griffith, #3-Ganley, #27-Ames

But your cards seem too thick for what is described in the catalog and your cards aren't numbered if they are blank backed. So maybe they were cut off an advertisement for the set?

David

As usual, impressive analysis and detective work...never ceases to amaze me.