Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Greed is good (for me) (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=256213)

Snapolit1 06-12-2018 07:42 AM

Greed is good (for me)

So much griping about Probstein and Yelpg and others about their insane buy it now prices and . . . those dirty, greedy mfers . . . dead to me . . . all of them . . . and then I see cards listed on BST that are priced to move at thousands of dollars more than a similar card in basically the same condition just sold for weeks ago Heritage. Sigh. Whatever.

Peter_Spaeth 06-12-2018 08:15 AM

But they're all the best examples of the cards that anyone has ever seen. Even if they aren't.

vintagebaseballcardguy 06-12-2018 08:16 AM

Such cards are probably all worthy of the coveted purple sticker...

calvindog 06-12-2018 08:28 AM

-- Cards in bizarro company slabs which weren't cracked out and sent to SGC or PSA not because they're trimmed, just because "you know how risky it is" or some other bullshit -- but the card isn't trimmed, the seller swears.

-- 8(OC) cards with comp sales prices of straight 8s in the listing.

-- "Need to move these right away due to family issues."

That being said, I don't think anyone is unaware that there are just as many scumbags on the BST as there are anywhere else cards are sold.

Aquarian Sports Cards 06-12-2018 08:39 AM

I'm apparently doing it wrong. Bought bulk lots, not individual cards, from the wrong auction house, not Heritage, and I'm trying to make dozens of dollars, not thousands.

Peter_Spaeth 06-12-2018 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1785985)
I'm apparently doing it wrong. Bought bulk lots, not individual cards, from the wrong auction house, not Heritage, and I'm trying to make dozens of dollars, not thousands.

Sorry, you can't qualify as a scumbag then.

bigfish 06-12-2018 08:45 AM

Jeff is onto something....

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 1785983)
-- Cards in bizarro company slabs which weren't cracked out and sent to SGC or PSA not because they're trimmed, just because "you know how risky it is" or some other bullshit -- but the card isn't trimmed, the seller swears.

That being said, I don't think anyone is unaware that there are just as many scumbags on the BST as there are anywhere else cards are sold.

There are two jokers in every deck of playing cards. There are sellers on the BST that use a different name when selling in person at the National. Why...they are so full of shit and don’t want to be called out in person. Maybe they will wear a fake mustache this year????

Johnny630 06-12-2018 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 1785983)

Agree Jeffrey

frankbmd 06-12-2018 09:13 AM

I propose that our Net54 Slow Pitch Softball Team be officially christened and heretofore named,

THE SCUMBAGS OF BST

calvindog 06-12-2018 09:16 AM

Quote:

I have no problem with capitalism -- why should anyone here? Make as much as you can. As long as you don't defraud, shade the truth, etc.

Leon 06-12-2018 09:19 AM

Quote:

Do not, I repeat do not, try Larry Harris's approach of scamming hundreds? of collectors to make tens of dollars. I mean where is the ROI on that?

Aquarian Sports Cards 06-12-2018 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1786000)
Do not, I repeat do not, try Larry Harris's approach of scamming hundreds? of collectors to make tens of dollars. I mean where is the ROI on that?

Oh well, back to the drawing board :D

Snapolit1 06-12-2018 09:29 AM

I've only had good experiences on BST.

I just question going before the most educated card collector group in the world and saying basically "hey, I'll sell this $6,000 card to you for $10,000." Seems like a strategy doomed to fail. I strongly suspect that uneducated consumers are much easier to pull one over on.

conor912 06-12-2018 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1786004)

I just question going before the most educated card collector group in the world and saying basically "hey, I'll sell this $6,000 card to you for $10,000." Seems like a strategy doomed to fail. I strongly suspect that uneducated consumers are much easier to pull one over on.

While not on that scale, I have been known to pay $100 for a $60 card I needed and was having a hard time finding more than once.

ALR-bishop 06-12-2018 09:44 AM

I am 67 and over the years have come to discover that some people want to sell me stuff for more than I want to pay. I try to not let it vex me too much anymore.

bigfish 06-12-2018 09:49 AM

Perhaps it’s time to drain the BST swamp....

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1785997)
I propose that our Net54 Slow Pitch Softball Team be officially christened and heretofore named,

THE SCUMBAGS OF BST

There are a few toads and gargoyles hiding the in the BST weeds....,

Vintageclout 06-12-2018 12:43 PM

Greed

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfish (Post 1785988)
There are two jokers in every deck of playing cards. There are sellers on the BST that use a different name when selling in person at the National. Why...they are so full of shit and don’t want to be called out in person. Maybe they will wear a fake mustache this year????

You think.....LOL. How true that is!!!!

Leon 06-12-2018 02:05 PM

IF anyone on our BST doesn't go by their real name in transactions there I would sure like to know about it. They won't be there any longer. Charge what you want but be who you are :).

Quote:

JollyElm 06-12-2018 02:11 PM

Just remember that all cards are equal, but some cards are more equal than others.

1952boyntoncollector 06-12-2018 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1786004)

you also have b/st. buyers willing to offer SMR when at the time its far below what a card sells or paying no regards to relative centering.. for...i remember i was selling t206 green cobbs and i was quoted SMR several times at b/s/t.

As far as flipping from big auction houses to ebay ...some people want to pay with credit card and willing to pay more with credit then they would by paying with a check .that could be one reason people attempt that.

Shoeless Moe 06-12-2018 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1786080)
Charge what you want but be who you are :).

You need to go in the Fortune Cookie writing business.

joshuanip 06-12-2018 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1785968)
So much griping about Probstein and Yelpg and others about their insane buy it now prices and . . . those dirty, greedy mfers . . . dead to me . . . all of them . . . and then I see cards listed on BST that are priced to move at thousands of dollars more than a similar card in basically the same condition just sold for weeks ago Heritage. Sigh. Whatever.

I bought some really nice cards at fair prices from both of those guys.

bnorth 06-12-2018 03:11 PM

Quote:

Would like to know who they are. I have bought from many many members on here and I have never run into any sellers that are not using their real names(as far as I know).

tschock 06-12-2018 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 1786082)
Just remember that all cards are equal, but some cards are more equal than others.

Two corners baaaaad... Four corners goood!

Exhibitman 06-13-2018 09:29 AM

Two men enter
One man exits
—N54 BST Thunderdome

ALR-bishop 06-13-2018 10:10 AM

" No matter where you go, there you are"...The Pig Killer

steve B 06-13-2018 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 1786266)
Two men enter
One man exits
—N54 BST Thunderdome

http://www.net54baseball.com/picture...ictureid=19165

Aquarian Sports Cards 06-13-2018 04:14 PM

"It's later than you think it is, and now it's even later" - TMBG