Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Why is this card in a GAI holder ? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=272420)

wilsonjc08 08-16-2019 08:22 AM

Why is this card in a GAI holder ?

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...e?itemid=58252

So, what prevented this card from eventually getting into a PSA or SGC holder ? I highly doubt it was from lack of trying.

Looking forward to reading some expert opinions.

Thanks,

Justin

Throttlesteer 08-16-2019 08:28 AM

The card looks good. I'm guessing it's a min grade issue with the light seam through the middl, marks, and stains on the back.

VintageBen 08-16-2019 08:29 AM

i have been thinking the same thing.... even if it grades authentic, it still is a nice looking card.

VintageBen 08-16-2019 08:41 AM

"Several moderate to heavy creases are present across the card front and would cause us to grade this card more conservatively despite a superior appearance."

would probably grade a 1.5 at best with PSA or SGC. maybe a 2.

x2drich2000 08-16-2019 08:42 AM

The folks at REA also seem to think it is over graded: "Several moderate to heavy creases are present across the card front and would cause us to grade this card more conservatively despite a superior appearance." I would suspect the consignor thinks it will do better in a GAI 3 then a PSA or SGC 1.5 or worse.

VintageBen 08-16-2019 08:45 AM

but it would do better in a psa/sgc 1.5 than a GAI 3!!!

still a badass card!!!

swarmee 08-16-2019 09:00 AM

Red ink on the back might also get it a MK qualifier in a PSA holder. I'd guess a FAIR 1.5 MK.

x2drich2000 08-16-2019 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VintageBen (Post 1908821)
but it would do better in a psa/sgc 1.5 than a GAI 3!!!

still a badass card!!!

Probably right, but there is also something going on in the top and bottom border as well (on second look, maybe what I'm seeing is just a shadow) so no guarantee that it won't come back a 1 or A. In that case, the GAI 3 looks like an even better option, especially if REA pushes the grading fee to the consignor. Depending on company used, the grading fee alone for this card is going to be $500-$1k.

packs 08-16-2019 09:06 AM

Bottom border looks messed with to me.

Rhotchkiss 08-16-2019 09:36 AM

I have to imagine that if this card could have gotten into a numerical SGC or PSA flip, it would be in one; maybe the owner determined a GAI 3 is better than a an SGC or PSA "A".

MVSNYC 08-16-2019 09:40 AM

Interesting, how this inferior looking SGC 1 has a higher bid right now.

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...e?itemid=58263

Steve D 08-16-2019 10:21 AM

In addition to REA's comments about the card being overgraded, look at how banged up the holder is; especially at the bottom corners and on the back.

It "almost" looks like the slab may have been tampered with (and the original card switched for a lesser one?????).

Steve

spacktrack 08-16-2019 10:30 AM

I wanted to clear a few things up on this card to correct any misinformation and potentially provide some clarification on a few things.

We received the card on consignment in the GAI 3 holder. It had been in our consignor's collection for roughly a decade.

We did not attempt to cross this card over. While the consignor has generally allowed us to do that on GAI cards in the past where we feel the same grade or a close grade is attainable, he has generally set the downgrade floor at a one grade maximum. In this case, we feel the card would very likely grade a 1.5 so we did not even bother paying the fee, which can be substantial, as we did not feel a crossover within his parameters was attainable.

The card measures full size and shows no signs of alteration or evidence of trimming that we can detect. There are no signs of tampering with the case. The GAI gasket creates a shadow on the front top and bottom borders. While we cannot guarantee what any grading company would do with the card if given the chance, we feel the right outcome for this card would be a 1.5.

Brian

Duluth Eskimo 08-16-2019 10:56 PM

Either way that is a beautiful card. Way nicer than the SGC one at the same price.

Fuddjcal 08-17-2019 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilsonjc08 (Post 1908810)
https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...e?itemid=58252

So, what prevented this card from eventually getting into a PSA or SGC holder ? I highly doubt it was from lack of trying.

Looking forward to reading some expert opinions.

Thanks,

Justin

Because it's worth more in the GAI holder.

Frank A 08-17-2019 04:43 PM

With all the expert graders on here, I think you should all apply for a job with a grading company. Grading from a picture is nonsense.

steve B 08-17-2019 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank A (Post 1909227)
With all the expert graders on here, I think you should all apply for a job with a grading company. Grading from a picture is nonsense.

Only if you're this guy..... who may just be the head grader at PSA

http://www.net54baseball.com/picture...ictureid=27265

Leon 08-18-2019 06:51 AM

He is overqualified. I am always leery of cards in GAI holders.

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 1909254)
Only if you're this guy..... who may just be the head grader at PSA

http://www.net54baseball.com/picture...ictureid=27265

bobbyw8469 08-18-2019 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1909325)
He is overqualified. I am always leery of cards in GAI holders.

Me too Leon. I recently broke out a 1952 Bowman Musial and got an even cross into PSA. I guess you have to be the judge yourself of the card in the holder. And willing to roll the dice. IMHO, it HAS to be cracked out. I would never attempt a crossover in their case.

1880nonsports 08-18-2019 08:20 AM

sometimes

GAI cards are just fine. It was a strange transitional period but when they first came around I decided to have them entomb my N29 cards and subsequently a few Sweet Caporal sealed packs. Quite a few of the cards were labeled "first graded" as a result. For what it's worth I no longer have any GAI cards :-) One of the packs however realized over 2000.00.

Brian 08-18-2019 10:30 AM

Gai

I cannot speak about this card, but I can say some (positive) things about the original incarnation of GAI.

When I first started collecting pre-war, I had a bunch of cards graded by GAI (over a decade ago). These were mostly Cracker Jacks, and all I wanted was the protection afforded by a holder. I really wasn't into grading or looking at grading companies under the microscope because I am a collector and had no intention of selling.

My cards were very stringently graded by someone there (I think his name was Baker?), and in fact, I thought they were very conservatively graded. So I took a handful of them over to SGC just for fun.

3 out of 6 actually graded higher than the GAI grade, one did not cross over to a higher grade, and 2 out of 6 remained at the same grade.

So I think that it is a mistake to assume that because it is in a GAI holder, it must have been "messed with." If fact, good deals can be had for this very same reason. Just my opinion.
B.rian D.ynlacht

LOUCARDFAN 08-18-2019 10:42 AM

Mike Baker was the grader and part owner of GAI. Mike used to be head grader at PSA prior to him leaving and starting GAI. The first couple of years their grades were spot on but then things started slipping after that. Not sure what happened. If you have a card that was graded within the first couple of years of their inception the grade should be considered correct.

RedsFan1941 08-18-2019 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 1909360)
I cannot speak about this card, but I can say some (positive) things about the original incarnation of GAI.

When I first started collecting pre-war, I had a bunch of cards graded by GAI (over a decade ago). These were mostly Cracker Jacks, and all I wanted was the protection afforded by a holder. I really wasn't into grading or looking at grading companies under the microscope because I am a collector and had no intention of selling.

My cards were very stringently graded by someone there (I think his name was Baker?), and in fact, I thought they were very conservatively graded. So I took a handful of them over to SGC just for fun.

3 out of 6 actually graded higher than the GAI grade, one did not cross over to a higher grade, and 2 out of 6 remained at the same grade.

So I think that it is a mistake to assume that because it is in a GAI holder, it must have been "messed with." If fact, good deals can be had for this very same reason. Just my opinion.
B.rian D.ynlacht

well said. your opinion is held by the majority of collectors if i’m not mistaking.

sando69 08-18-2019 06:46 PM

"Buy the CARD, not the HOLDER"

personally, I find it somewhat amusing that we all seem to agree with this axiom...
except when it comes to gai. :confused:

wilsonjc08 08-19-2019 03:12 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I placed a bid in extended bidding, but didn’t come out on top.

BabyRuth 08-19-2019 03:35 PM

4 Attachment(s)
My Lajoie just loves his little holder along with a few of his friends - Baker graded these way way back. GAI was good when they first started.