Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   1910 University of Chicago in Japan real photo game postcards - Mystery solved! (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=206286)

T206Jim 05-22-2015 11:36 AM

1910 University of Chicago in Japan real photo game postcards - Mystery solved!

3 Attachment(s)
I am hoping someone on here can translate the Japanese captions on these postcards.

My best guess is these are postcards depicting game action during the University of Chicago's 1910 tour of Japan. My second guess, somewhat more remote, would be of the White Sox-Giants 1913-1914 world tour.

Interesting postcards in either event, but hopefully an accurate translation will eliminate the guesswork.

bwbc917 05-22-2015 11:53 AM

Uni of Chicago

The University of Chicago also went to Japan in the fall of 1915. Their "star" was Shorty DesJardien an All-American FB player.

Enfuego 05-22-2015 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T206Jim (Post 1413789)
I am hoping someone on here can translate the Japanese captions on these postcards.

My best guess is these are postcards depicting game action during the University of Chicago's 1910 tour of Japan. My second guess, somewhat more remote, would be of the White Sox-Giants 1913-1914 world tour.

Interesting postcards in either event, but hopefully an accurate translation will eliminate the guesswork.

If you PM me tonight, i can have it translated, my wife happens to be japanese.

rgpete 05-22-2015 12:30 PM

Jim nice post cards

T206Jim 05-22-2015 03:25 PM

Thanks Anthony, I appreciate the help!

baseball tourist 05-22-2015 04:00 PM

Here's some help....

A Japanese colleague says....

First card "Waseda University vs Chicago University, 3rd Baseball Tournament"

Second card "Waseda University vs Chicago University, 1st Baseball Tournament

Third card "Waseda University vs Chicago University, 3rd Baseball Tournament

T206Jim 05-22-2015 05:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks Chris, that helped me solve the mystery. I now know definitively what the postcards depict. It is the 1910 University of Chicago team playing Waseda University in Tokyo, Japan where they won all three games.

I found a copy of the May 1911 Cap and Gown for the University of Chicago. In the "Invasion of the East" article it describes the games and the trip. Best of all the article, on page 2, has the EXACT photo that is used in one of my postcards. It has Sunderland written on it. Sunderland was a pitcher for Chicago and won that game.

Thanks everyone, I never thought I could establish what these were with 100% certainty. Things like this are what makes the hobby fun!

Enfuego 05-23-2015 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T206Jim (Post 1413928)
Thanks Chris, that helped me solve the mystery. I now know definitively what the postcards depict. It is the 1910 University of Chicago team playing Waseda University in Tokyo, Japan where they won all three games.

I found a copy of the May 1911 Cap and Gown for the University of Chicago. In the "Invasion of the East" article it describes the games and the trip. Best of all the article, on page 2, has the EXACT photo that is used in one of my postcards. It has Sunderland written on it. Sunderland was a pitcher for Chicago and won that game.

Thanks everyone, I never thought I could establish what these were with 100% certainty. Things like this are what makes the hobby fun!

T206Jim,

Your collegue was spot on, I fell asleep before my wife came home from work, my apologies. She actually thinks you got some cool pieces