Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Harry Carson and Lawrence Taylor -- Other dynamic duos? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=341922)

bk400 10-26-2023 10:37 AM

Harry Carson and Lawrence Taylor -- Other dynamic duos?

I was going through some of my old cards from back in the day and found a Harry Carson and an LT rookie card. (Not graded and well played with, of course.)

Got me thinking that in many ways, Lawrence Taylor may not have been who he was on the field without Harry Carson playing with him. Polar opposites in terms of personality, but the symbiotic relationship was obvious, especially in hindsight.

I would almost argue that Harry Carson was THE quintessential NY Giants defender. The guy who personified Bill Parcells and all he stood for.

Are there any other similar pairings in the NFL or other sports? Stockton and Malone, Jordan and Pippen, Oakley and Mason come to mind in the NBA. Richard Sherman and Cam Chancellor?

D. Bergin 10-26-2023 11:20 AM

Ah, my All-time favorite Giant pairing.

Always loved Carson. He's the #1 reason L.T. was able to freelance as much as he did.

Also, love everything about his Rookie Card. Close-up profile pic. He was 22 or 23 when the picture was taken, yet he looks like a grizzled 15 year veteran already.

The write-up on the back with the 30 sacks and 114 tackles at South Carolina State his Senior season :eek::eek: ...yet he still wasn't picked until the 4th round.

He was a 9 time Pro-Bowler, but never a 1st Team All-Pro.

Always seemingly under-rated and under-appreciated.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/i6kAA...lh/s-l1600.jpg

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/uG8AA...li/s-l1600.jpg

Peter_Spaeth 10-26-2023 11:28 AM

Mike Singeltary and Wilbur Marshall? Franco Harris and Rocky Bleier? Csonka and Kiick?

bk400 10-26-2023 11:29 AM

I recall Carson going out there for the coin toss in the Super Bowl against Denver. He went out there alone, and I swear, he looked bigger than the 5 guys the Broncos sent out to midfield.

Peter_Spaeth 10-26-2023 11:34 AM

Art Shell and Gene Upshaw.

bk400 10-26-2023 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2383661)
Art Shell and Gene Upshaw.

Ooooh, that's a great one

Shoeless Moe 10-26-2023 09:32 PM

Gretzky & Messier

Super Mario (Lemiuex) & Mario Jr (Jagr) - Fun Fact: if you re-arrange the letters in Jaromir Jagr's first name it does in fact spell Mario Jr.
(kinda like if you rearrange the letters in Jim Morrison's name you get Mr. Mojo Risin')

...and the obvious ones in baseball:

Ruth & Gehrig
Mantle & Maris

butchie_t 10-26-2023 09:34 PM

Charles Mann and Dexter Manley.

nolemmings 10-26-2023 10:58 PM

Steelers had Jacks Lambert and Ham. Oh, and WRs Swann and Stallworth.
Come to think of it, Franco Harris and Rocky Bleier weren't bad in the backfield, and D linemen Joe Greene with L C Greenwood excelled as well.
Not a bad team, all in all.:)

mrreality68 10-27-2023 02:31 PM

Abbot and Costello
Batman and Robin
Doctor Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
Sonny and Cher

Mark17 11-06-2023 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrreality68 (Post 2383938)
Abbot and Costello
Batman and Robin
Sonny and Cher

Schacht and Altrock

BobbyStrawberry 11-06-2023 02:48 PM

King Kelly and John Clarkson. Completely opposite backgrounds, temperaments and personalities that won multiple pennants together, often working as a battery.

Chuck9788 11-16-2023 11:56 AM

https://i.psacard.com/cardfacts/1985...229.jpg?h=1000

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/711ppiOyQPL.jpg

G1911 11-18-2023 04:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
from 1952 to 1960 the 49ers had Joe The Jet Perry and Hugh McElhenny at running back. From 1954-1956 they were joined by John Henry Johnson. 3 HOF RB's at once.

All 3 appear with the 49ers in 1955 Bowman.

Chuck9788 11-21-2023 08:52 AM

The 1955 San Francisco 49ers enjoyed the 3 HOF backs (mentioned above) and 3 other offensive HOF players (YA Tittle, Bob St. Clair, Leo Namollini) yet the team finished with a poor 4-8 record. I don't think the players reacted well to the new coach Red Strader.

bk400 11-21-2023 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck9788 (Post 2390498)
The 1955 San Francisco 49ers enjoyed the 3 HOF backs (mentioned above) and 3 other offensive HOF players (YA Tittle, Bob St. Clair, Leo Namollini) yet the team finished with a poor 4-8 record. I don't think the players reacted well to the new coach Red Strader.

I'm going to check Football Reference and see if there's ever been a team with 6 future HOFs on offense playing at the same time that didn't have a winning record. I'm guessing that if there are any, it's not a lot.

G1911 11-22-2023 01:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I would not be surprised if this Niners team has the worst performance of an offense with so many HOFers on it. It's interesting, because it wasn't like they were a lot of old and washed up players who had been great but weren't anymore. Just a lot of off years aligning at the same time. Johnson was heavily limited on playing time. McElhenny had something of an off year and reduced numbers from sharing time. Perry fell off form his 1954 MVP but had an excellent season. Tittle had his worst season of his years in SF but did lead the league in touchdown passes (and interceptions). Nomellini wasn't an All-Pro or Pro Bowler for the only time in his career before his age 38 season. St. Clair was an All-Pro.

The other 3 also appear in 1955 Bowman. The small set sizes and offense focus in the old football cards means a lot of HOFers are usually missing every year, but Bowman got all the big 49ers that year.

rats60 11-24-2023 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G1911 (Post 2390871)
I would not be surprised if this Niners team has the worst performance of an offense with so many HOFers on it. It's interesting, because it wasn't like they were a lot of old and washed up players who had been great but weren't anymore. Just a lot of off years aligning at the same time. Johnson was heavily limited on playing time. McElhenny had something of an off year and reduced numbers from sharing time. Perry fell off form his 1954 MVP but had an excellent season. Tittle had his worst season of his years in SF but did lead the league in touchdown passes (and interceptions). Nomellini wasn't an All-Pro or Pro Bowler for the only time in his career before his age 38 season. St. Clair was an All-Pro.

The other 3 also appear in 1955 Bowman. The small set sizes and offense focus in the old football cards means a lot of HOFers are usually missing every year, but Bowman got all the big 49ers that year.

It looks like the 49ers had the worst defense in the league. They led the NFL in points allowed.

chalupacollects 11-25-2023 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrreality68 (Post 2383938)
Abbot and Costello
Batman and Robin
Sonny and Cher

Gilligan and the Skipper
Laverne and Shirley
Ozzie and Harriett
George and Martha
Lone Ranger & Tonto
Archie and Edith

chalupacollects 11-25-2023 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bk400 (Post 2383643)
I was going through some of my old cards from back in the day and found a Harry Carson and an LT rookie card. (Not graded and well played with, of course.)

Got me thinking that in many ways, Lawrence Taylor may not have been who he was on the field without Harry Carson playing with him. Polar opposites in terms of personality, but the symbiotic relationship was obvious, especially in hindsight.

I would almost argue that Harry Carson was THE quintessential NY Giants defender. The guy who personified Bill Parcells and all he stood for.

Are there any other similar pairings in the NFL or other sports? Stockton and Malone, Jordan and Pippen, Oakley and Mason come to mind in the NBA. Richard Sherman and Cam Chancellor?

Mantle and Maris
Mays and McCovey
Aaron and Mathews
Spahn and Sain
Montana and Rice