Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   cards in old SGC holder (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=77228)

Archive 06-05-2005 03:39 PM

cards in old SGC holder

Posted By: <b>cmoking</b><p>I bought a card that was graded by SGC in its early days. There's no 1-10 scale, and no www.sgccard.com on the label. <br /><br />In general, are there any differences in how SGC used to grade versus how they would grade now?<br /><br />

Archive 06-05-2005 04:23 PM

cards in old SGC holder

Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>grades tend to be a bit more lax in the older holders. Other than that, their are no real know issues with cards in the older holders<br /><br />Jay<br><br>I like to sit outside drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home I would be arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Archive 06-05-2005 04:25 PM

cards in old SGC holder

Posted By: <b>Judge Dred</b><p>Can of worms - you'll get different opinions - here's mine.<br /><br />There are a few different SGC labels. They had the original labels which differ greatly from today's label. Then they have labels that are similar to today's label that don't have the 1-10 scale numbers. <br /><br />I think that the grading on SGC cards has been pretty consistent throughout SGCs service history. Personally, in the early days I always thought SGC was a little more consistent and tougher on grades than PSA and as time progressed they have become some what equals in their grading. I'm sure there will be other opinions that say SGC was very generous with the grades early on and became tougher later. <br /><br />You know what they say about opinions - they're like Al Rosen, every hobby has one.... ok, that was not nice.... somebody put me in my place... Al, if you read this, smile - at least everyone recognizes you.

Archive 06-05-2005 04:33 PM

cards in old SGC holder

Posted By: <b>cmoking</b><p>I saw a scan of the card, and it looked consistent with the grade. But sometimes scans are tough to see any potential problems. Hopefully when I get it in person, the scan will be truly indicative of the card. Thanks.<br /><br />Also, will SGC take the card back and re-holder it in a new SGC holder? I'm assuming if they do, there would be a small charge for it.

Archive 06-05-2005 05:12 PM

cards in old SGC holder

Posted By: <b>BCD</b><p>probably cost me $15k due to Merkles boner as Scott called it before~

Archive 06-05-2005 05:35 PM

cards in old SGC holder

Posted By: <b>Craig</b><p>If you give it back to SGC to reholder there is a good chance they will not agree with the old grade and will not reholder it at the same grade level. <br />Most large auction houses now would require an old holdered sgc card to be reholdered prior to listing it to prevent an unhappy customer who finds out his sgc 88 card is now an 80 or worse.<br />SGC does charge a fee for reholdering

Archive 06-05-2005 05:57 PM

cards in old SGC holder

Posted By: <b>cmoking</b><p>Will SGC not automatically re-holder the card because they aren't confident in their old grades themselves? Would they automatically re-holder a card - without checking the grade - that was in a current SGC case, if the SGC case was damaged a bit (say, a slight crack over the card, but not on the card, so its tough to see the card itself)?

Archive 06-05-2005 06:57 PM

cards in old SGC holder

Posted By: <b>Josh K.</b><p>SGC will reholder any card you send them for any reason - crack, old holder, etc. However, their terms and conditions state that they retain the right to reevaluate the card and assign a new grade if warranted - both up or down.