Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Just another guy putting together a T205 set one card at a time... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=235835)

Leon 04-28-2018 11:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thromdog (Post 1768775)
Very nice.

I started January 1 of this year trying to build a beater set and am sitting at 100 or so.

What is the target number you are trying to get to? I believe there is 221?

Thanks....I am probably around 120'ish into it with this tilted but acceptable one (today) and will probably end up in the 220-225 range. There will be a few variations thrown in but with no rhyme or reason as to which ones :).... ..It has continued to be purposefully slow going, and still fun, finding the right ones...and I guess it bears mentioning that my standards have gone up, along with the price tags, since the first part of the project. I used to be more lenient on my requirements. A lot of those have now been upgraded, visually speaking.

Aquarian Sports Cards 04-28-2018 12:08 PM

the set is quickly becoming incredibly attractive regardless of grade, except for that mistake you made on the Oakes card :)

Leon 05-03-2018 07:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1771351)
the set is quickly becoming incredibly attractive regardless of grade, except for that mistake you made on the Oakes card :)

Thanks Scott....it is really a great looking set when the cards look nice...This one is a bit o/c but not bad otherwise...

Aquarian Sports Cards 05-03-2018 08:00 AM

Top to bottom has always bothered me less than side to side. Nice card.

Leon 05-14-2018 07:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1772742)
Top to bottom has always bothered me less than side to side. Nice card.

Yeap, left to right is what I look at first. Then top to bottom (a little bit bigger on bottom, if not close to 50/50, is preferable), then chipping, then the back. This Bridwell was a slight upgrade because I don't mind a wrinkle if the other characteristics are there. And the other I have is not as well centered. Each card, not unlike other sets, has its own set of characteristics which makes it fun to collect. It can be specific to what each person likes. I am sure a large number of collectors couldn't live with the wrinkle on this card and that is great, less competition. :) And if an example I like better than this one comes a long I will upgrade it too...

obcbeatle 05-14-2018 09:50 AM

Finally completed my low grade T205 NY Giants subset!

4 Attachment(s)
Not a complete set of T205's ... but I did recently finish my T205 NY Giants subset. The last card was the SP Bugs Raymond. So I'm officially done with T205!

Over my lifetime I've tried to complete T205 (and T206) at least three times. Each time I gave up about half way through because the HOFER's and SP's were just too pricey (even in lower grade). I guess I'm a slow learner :-) Anyway ... I finally decided to do a NY Giants subset since my great, great uncle Larry Doyle played for the Giants. I'm doing the same for T206. Still not cheap because it's the Giants ... but I really enjoy it. So many cool ways to collect T205/T206!

Aquarian Sports Cards 05-14-2018 10:27 AM

congrats! Nice looking subset!

Steve D 05-14-2018 10:29 PM

With four new additions last week, I'm now up to 150 T205s, all PSA.

Steve

rats60 05-15-2018 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obcbeatle (Post 1776632)
Not a complete set of T205's ... but I did recently finish my T205 NY Giants subset. The last card was the SP Bugs Raymond. So I'm officially done with T205!

Over my lifetime I've tried to complete T205 (and T206) at least three times. Each time I gave up about half way through because the HOFER's and SP's were just too pricey (even in lower grade). I guess I'm a slow learner :-) Anyway ... I finally decided to do a NY Giants subset since my great, great uncle Larry Doyle played for the Giants. I'm doing the same for T206. Still not cheap because it's the Giants ... but I really enjoy it. So many cool ways to collect T205/T206!

I am on my third try to complete the t205 set. I agree it is a frustrating try to track down certain cards. It has caused me to quit and sell off cards twice. I found the t206 set to be much easier to collect.

obcbeatle 05-15-2018 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1776644)
congrats! Nice looking subset!

Thanks Scott ... took me awhile ... but once I settled on just one team (the Giants) it made things a bit easier :-) Patience was key. Plus it was fun!