Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Mini Bat Guide (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=247803)

Prewar Collector 11-20-2017 08:35 AM

Mini Bat Guide

Does anyone out there know if there is any written material such as a price guide (or any kind of guide) that describes souvenir mini bats? I have several of them of different lengths, with different labels and markings and I'm trying to find out more about them. Thanks for any help!

autograf 11-20-2017 08:39 AM

Nothing written unfortunately...........generally the Louisville Sluggers come in 14,16 and 22 inches length although I've also seen the occasional 18 inch bat. 16's are the most popular and the most made, 14's are the oldest and 22's can be older but aren't nearly as popular for some reason. Used to have a many hundreds collection in size but have sold many/most of them off. A guy named batsbyron on ebay used to be the king of the minibat although I believe he sold most of his collection off as well. Good luck!

minibatsman 11-20-2017 11:34 AM

mini bats

1885 to 1900 mainly presentation bats. prices are hgh?.
1915 t0 30? blank barrel bats no signature 10 to 22 inches. I call them salesman samples.
H&S 14 inch signature bats 1914 TO 29. Ruth $150. - 1927 W.S. Ruth $600 .
most player $50. value depends on the player. Wagner, Gerhig $300
H&S decal bats sizes matter bigger the bat less it value?. 1913 to 16?.
Joe Jackson , Cobb ,Wagner $100 to $1500 + condition matters.
H&S 16 inch 1930 $50 with pennant $150.
H&S large barrel 22 inch. dates playing years? Jim Thorp seen one. Gerhig Mantle $100
1940s could order any player from factory 16 inches. usually gold lettering?.
this is just my opinion.
Every bat from 1913 to today could be bought from a catalog.
in 1915 a dozen decal bats could be bought for 35 cents each.

HolyGrail 11-20-2017 02:34 PM

Mini Bats

I happen to love the minis because they are pretty close to the full-sized bats and used the same dies for the labels and signatures. Plus they're cheap and often available at shows.

At the Boston Shriner's show a couple of weeks ago I picked up a bealutiful 1960s Brooks Robinson 125 H&B for $10 on the last day. Asking price was $15.

How can you beat that?! I may even have him sign it.

The pre-war models branded in gold are really attractive.

sicollector1954 11-20-2017 04:15 PM

Mini

4 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple of pics of my 14 inch bat. I believe this to be one of the first mini baseball bats produced by Hillerich and Son. The center label is hard to make out but that is because it is not stamped into the bat....rather it is like an ink transfer....Made by is above the H and S. Burn marks as well....would love to hear more opinions....Thanks.

minibatsman 11-25-2017 11:04 AM

decal

is there a maker mark on the decal. I believe the 1914 Palm & Fetcheler series of Cobb, Wagner, Jackson, Collins , Gowdy and the Burnished Finish decals are a second run of for H&S?. I know there was a run of decals prior to this. Cobb being the most common with four different decals. one before two after?.
Wagner with two. I believe Cobb and Wagner had decals prior to this . the Cobb I have only seen on a mini bat. Wagner I have only seen on full size bats.
your decal appears early. good looking bat.
I have been trying to figure these bats out for years. when I think I know I am wrong.

sicollector1954 11-25-2017 03:17 PM

Minis

No makers mark on the decal....it says Used By All Professional League (s) as the s is gone... Talked with a couple of others who thinks it is an early one....that is about all I know on it.

MGHPro 11-25-2017 04:01 PM

What Cobb are you referring to when you say you only saw it on a mini?

Quote:

Originally Posted by minibatsman (Post 1723606)
is there a maker mark on the decal. I believe the 1914 Palm & Fetcheler series of Cobb, Wagner, Jackson, Collins , Gowdy and the Burnished Finish decals are a second run of for H&S?. I know there was a run of decals prior to this. Cobb being the most common with four different decals. one before two after?.
Wagner with two. I believe Cobb and Wagner had decals prior to this . the Cobb I have only seen on a mini bat. Wagner I have only seen on full size bats.
your decal appears early. good looking bat.
I have been trying to figure these bats out for years. when I think I know I am wrong.

minibatsman 11-26-2017 10:07 AM

cobb

1 Attachment(s)
I believe this to be pre 1914. sorry there was two Cobbs on the 1914 sheet. and one cobb after. I would assume they didn't make one decal just for cobb?. anyone with different info please contribute . I would like to know.

the center brand is just as important as the decal. example the 1914 12 inch Wagner bat. or the mistake it comes in different versions . no center brand the reverse decal and the decal over the center brand. the Gowdy decal is the key to dating this series.

this is why I ask is there a makers mark. i cant find one on any of the Cobbs I have seen. similar to your bat. no makers mark.

MGHPro 11-26-2017 10:22 AM

Here it is full size .
https://www.huntauctions.com/live/im...=203&lot_qual=

minibatsman 11-26-2017 10:45 AM

date it.

I still believe that decal it pre 1914?. I don't know. I don't believe H&S had decals before 1911?.
the decal is one of the most complete I have seen .

the reason I use center brands and the decals. it is clear H&B continued using the decals for years. but its not clear if they purchased more decals. I believe they had plenty left over from 1914?. I believe if there would have been another purchase or production of them they would be different and Ruth would have one.

similar to the 1914 Wagner bat with no center label . I would prefer a stronger stamp on yours..

Its not the first one i have seen. I think [Palm Brothers?] may have made your decal. that's a guess. I wish I could say it for sure.
it would help clarify a date to the bat.

atabats 12-13-2017 02:15 PM

World's Champions Philadelphia, Pa | 9.5" mini bat

2 Attachment(s)
Not sure exactly which year this 9.5" mini bat is from. Either 1910, 1911, 1913, 1929 or 1930 since these were the years the Philadelphia Athletics won championships. My guess is it's before 1920 because of the use of "World's Champions" instead of "World Champions." Also, the graphics in the oval are very old timey and it says "MADE IN U.S.A." underneath the oval. Thoughts?

btcarfagno 12-13-2017 07:58 PM

Picked this up recently for my women in baseball collection.

http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/y...psipwcoowm.jpg

minibatsman 01-26-2018 01:02 PM

World champions bat

I have a couple of these. 9, 12 and 14 inch bats. I can only say I think it is a company that made this bat?. meaning the company {World Champions} is the maker of this bat?. a souvenir bat for any occasion. 9 inch? is the most common?.

souvenir bats were hot in mid 20s. I believe your bat is from around that time frame

the ones I have are mostly blank barrel. with just center brand. and I have a couple with teams on them similar to yours. I don't collect full size and don't know of one of these available full size. probably is one?.

everyone I have seen with a team on it . the owner wants to believe it came from the W.S. and I cant say were it came from I don't know. I have always considered them salesman samples?. but I haven't seem a full size one. no idea who made them and are these small ones all they made?,.
there almost always 9 inch blank barrel bats?. and ones like yours show up.

I think a vendor possibly at a world series game that had access to a couple of these bats.
had the team name added to the bat and sold them?. I am always digging trying to figure them out?.

you could ask full size bat collectors they might know. who made it and a date ? I would like to know.

I have the same bat with the cubs on it. I display it proudly but I wont say its from the 1908 world series. wish I could. my bat is not 1908 old and exactly the same bat as yours

The GRAND RAPIDS CHICKS bat dates to that teams playing days?. I don't know this team I guaranty someone would know if you posted it and asked.

Pagliman 02-12-2018 09:27 AM

Mini bat collector. New to Net54.

I have collected Mini bats for about 30 years. Mainly interested in H&B 125 pre-1968 (is this when they stopped burning in?). About 400 total bats in my collection. Maybe 30 or so of the 14-inch variety. Most recent find was a Pie Traynor. I do not have any of the classic decal bats of the early 1900's. However, some years ago I acquired bats with decals of Wagner, Jackson, Collins and Cobb (2 different). The decals have the "classic" look, but the bats have center brands that were used in the 60's. Two have the "Reg U S Pat Off" under the brand and three have the "circle R" after Louisville Slugger. The bats are all in Mint condition. Actually look brand new. Anyone else seen these?

MGHPro 02-12-2018 10:33 AM

can you post some pictures?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pagliman (Post 1747390)
I have collected Mini bats for about 30 years. Mainly interested in H&B 125 pre-1968 (is this when they stopped burning in?). About 400 total bats in my collection. Maybe 30 or so of the 14-inch variety. Most recent find was a Pie Traynor. I do not have any of the classic decal bats of the early 1900's. However, some years ago I acquired bats with decals of Wagner, Jackson, Collins and Cobb (2 different). The decals have the "classic" look, but the bats have center brands that were used in the 60's. Two have the "Reg U S Pat Off" under the brand and three have the "circle R" after Louisville Slugger. The bats are all in Mint condition. Actually look brand new. Anyone else seen these?

Pagliman 02-14-2018 02:36 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Will try to attach a couple photos.

minibatsman 07-26-2018 07:26 PM

reprints

they are reprints. same ones on ebay today.

Pagliman 08-02-2018 10:56 AM

Decal Reprints

Reprints for sure. Just wondered if I could determine their age. Can I go by the center brand? The condition is so near perfect that I can hardly believe they are 50-60 years old.

minibatsman 03-06-2019 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pagliman (Post 1799985)
Reprints for sure. Just wondered if I could determine their age. Can I go by the center brand? The condition is so near perfect that I can hardly believe they are 50-60 years old.

there not ten years old.

Wildfireschulte 03-08-2019 02:34 PM

I occasionally see old looking, worn mini decal bats with no center brand - usually Wagner, Jackson, Cobb - with no center brand. Is there any way to determine whether or not they are old, vs recent re-makes when there is no LS center brand?

minibatsman 05-12-2019 08:29 PM

old mini,s

There was a time I wouldn't buy a bat . without a center brand. I missed out on some nice bats. I don't know why the center brand isn't there. It should be?. .today I look for them . 12 inch decal bats buy them?. mini bats. can be rare . The bat you passed on . you may never see another one like it again.
Most Decal bats in any condition You should be able to tell if its a original bat.
The bat you posted looked like a original decal bat . You will know when you see a fake?. The outer edge . if you see white on edges its fake.
The decals H&S/B used . Are similar to the decals you may have put in the water. and slid on to your modal toy car. Original decals are very thin.
Newer decals. Have trouble matching original colors. Red , white, gold trim, The colors can help look at other bats there available to view.

atabats 12-13-2019 06:59 PM

Mini Bat Guide

2 Attachment(s)
The center brand isn’t there because it was most likely an ink transfer and has worn off over time. Here are a couple ink transfer center brand examples of J.F. Hillerich & Son Co. still intact.

I would guess that these ink transfers predate the branded versions by a couple of years. If anyone knows for sure, please post.

baseball tourist 01-30-2020 02:36 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Would like to find out more about the Spalding minis. Just picked up this Ross Youngs auto model. 17.5 inches.

ksfarmboy 01-30-2020 10:13 AM

Chris, I have 5 different of the minis. They are all tough to find and I’ve never seen any advertising for them. The ones I have were all made to the exact shapes of the full size bats of the players named only in miniature if that helps. Your Young’s bat is the first I have seen.

baseball tourist 01-30-2020 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksfarmboy (Post 1951454)
Chris, I have 5 different of the minis. They are all tough to find and I’ve never seen any advertising for them. The ones I have were all made to the exact shapes of the full size bats of the players named only in miniature if that helps. Your Young’s bat is the first I have seen.

Thanks Clint!

MGHPro 01-30-2020 04:26 PM

That’s a cool mini !
You and Clint should send them my way so they can be displayed together 😃

baseball tourist 01-30-2020 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MGHPro (Post 1951553)
That’s a cool mini !
You and Clint should send them my way so they can be displayed together 😃

Matt..I would trade for a cool Toronto photo ;)

MGHPro 01-30-2020 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baseball tourist (Post 1951590)
Matt..I would trade for a cool Toronto photo ;)

No luck yet ! I'll let you know

minibatsman 02-28-2020 02:52 PM

1915 no one realy knows. somone should.

Quote:

Originally Posted by atabats (Post 1938728)
The center brand isn’t there because it was most likely an ink transfer and has worn off over time. Here are a couple ink transfer center brand examples of J.F. Hillerich & Son Co. still intact.

I would guess that these ink transfers predate the branded versions by a couple of years. If anyone knows for sure, please post.

I believe the Palm % Fetchler sheet of decals that includes your decals.
dates to late 1914 to 15. Gowdy is also on this sheet.
He had a very good 1914 World Series. and was approached by Hillerich after the series.
The earliest bats are 12 inches and the decals did not fit the bats.
They didn't fit because off the burnt in center brand.
I believe the burnt ones were first.
This possibly would not have been a problem with a stamp.
But know one really knows..

BeanTown 03-03-2020 05:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Don't know much about bats but I like them alot. Got this Mini Cobb a few years back.

MGHPro 03-04-2020 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeanTown (Post 1959507)
Don't know much about bats but I like them alot. Got this Mini Cobb a few years back.

Gorgeous

perezfan 03-04-2020 11:25 AM

Yes, what a beautiful example! So tough to find them at all, let alone that pristine.

Great pickup!