Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   In light of recent events.....shipping procudures... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=83183)

Archive 12-07-2006 12:35 PM

In light of recent events.....shipping procudures...

Posted By: <b>Dave</b><p>With the soap opera that has just wrapped up concering one of my recent ebay purchases here are my thoughts to be "safe" as a seller...interested in anyone else's thoughts...<br /><br />items under $100- I'll send with option of buyer paying for insurance....but no matter what I'll send a delivery confirmation.<br /><br />items $100-$250 I'll only send with insurance and delivery confirmation to be required of the buyer to purchase<br /><br />items over $250- Insurance required, signature confirmation required...<br />

Archive 12-07-2006 12:56 PM

Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>I insist on insurance whenever I sell anything. Considering we are talking about antique baseball cards mandatory insurance is not unreasonable.

Archive 12-07-2006 01:26 PM

Posted By: <b>dennis</b><p>just have a set charge for the item that includes delivery confirmation and insurance. items under $100.00 $4.50 would cover it and go from there. then you'll be problem free.

Archive 12-07-2006 01:39 PM

Posted By: <b>Judge Dred (Fred)</b><p>There are so many different ways to go with shipping. I think that at a minimum, as a seller, you should at least do some type of tracking (delivery confirmation, registered, etc) on anything over $50. The cost for something like that is about $5 if you send it 3 day. That's about 10% of the value of the item sold. This is more protection for the seller. Having proof of attempted delivery to a certain zip code goes a long way towards relieving suspicion. The postal receipt (from the post office) typically has the zip code to where the package was sent. <br /><br />If you're afraid that people wont bid on an item because of a perceived overage in shipping charges then put a $3 amount for the shipping charge and eat the $2. Seriously, a couple of dollars towards maintaining a good reputation as a seller is peanuts in the spectrum of it all.

Archive 12-07-2006 02:49 PM

Posted By: <b>T206Collector</b><p>What I do is this -- $3.50 flat shipping fee, which covers the first auction you win from me and each subsequent auction you win before I send the first. If the value of the item goes over $50.00, I will purchase insurance out of my own pocket. If something gets lost, it's all on me. <br /><br />I, of course, include this info in my listings. I believe that I get higher and more bids because of it and thus offset my cost that way.<br /><br />Why put the onus on the buyer to do anything? Make him happy!

Archive 12-07-2006 03:04 PM

Posted By: <b>Joann</b><p>I usually make insurance optional for smaller items, but put it in the shipping charges so it's automatic for anything over $100 - $125 or so. It depends on what I think the card will sell for.<br /><br />But after reading the other thread about how PayPal tilts toward the buyer, I'm thinking about making it mandatory for anyone that uses PayPal. That's just so I don't end up being responsible for the mail performance. And maybe a little to try to create some fairness in a system that allows honest sellers to be penalized for events that (in my opinion, and I don't really know) are beyond the scope of the protection that PayPal is trying to provide for the buyers.<br /><br />I'll probably change something after this though - either include it in shipping or whatever. <br /><br />Joann