Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   It was 30 years ago today (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=121044)

ChiefBenderForever 02-22-2010 08:08 AM

It was 30 years ago today

It seems like a lifetime ago, and in a way it was. I was only 9 years old but remember it like yesterday. I remember the old gray swirling carpet on the living room floor, the blue electrolux vacuum cleaner next to the flower plaid couch and how young my parents looked. The USA hockey team defeated the Russians in what was the greatest upset in the history of sports, it truly was a miracle on ice. With most of the team from Minnesota it was even more special, my cousins grew up and played with Buzz Schneider and knew many of the iron range kids on the team.
The 10th anniversary passed by like nothing had happened, I didn't even notice. But 20 years after Espn played the whole game and I waited all day with excitement but had no idea all the memories and emotions would come flooding in like they did while I watched it, it was as if I had been transported back 20 years and could see my father smiling just saying 'this is history'.
Now 30 years later I am feeling old, Herb Brooks is gone, and the USA team is on the verge of getting another medal, but nothing will ever be the same or like it was in 1980. A good friend of Herb Brooks lived in the small town in MN I grew up in and got him to speak at our 1982 Hockey Banquet, it was definately a thrill of a lifetime and even at a young age I was aware of how special it was, so hard to believe it's been 30 years.

Jim VB 02-22-2010 08:37 AM

Not to take anything away from last night's game, (because it was a great game), but the USA is far from being on the verge of winning another medal. That was an opening round game and got the USA nothing more than an extra day off. One bye. That's it. The top 4 teams get tomorrow off while the other 8 start the single elimination rounds.

All 12 teams are still in this tournament and probably 7 of them have a chance to win a medal.

Still great to see them play with that much emotion.

bmarlowe1 02-22-2010 02:22 PM

Taking a Chicago fan's perspective - it was a perfect game. USA won (though they were mostly outplayed), Kane played well, Toewes and Keith played great for Canada, and none of them got hurt.

For their first place finish the Russians will (almost for sure) have to play Canada in the quarter-finals.

tedzan 02-22-2010 04:28 PM

Lake Placid 1980....and, more recently.

I know the feeling....or, should I say I felt it !

My Grandson, Ron, graduated from the Northwood School in Lake Placid (Private H.S.). While there, he was on the Hockey team.

Everytime we entered the arena to see Ron play for Northwood, I felt a spine-tingling sensation in my body, as I realized that
this was the facility where we beat the "Rushkies" in 1980.

Just a small anecdote to celebrate the occassion.

TED Z

HRBAKER 02-22-2010 06:19 PM

I remember it well as I and a few of my "brothers" in the fraternity chose to celebrate the "Miracle on Ice" with a bottle of grain alcohol and some purple kool-aid (hunch punch). That indeed was the last time.

cardguru67 02-25-2010 12:14 AM

Crazy

I remember that- what a crazy game!