Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   1914 Photo of the Boston Braves "The Strategist of the Firing Line" (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=206891)

JJ McGraw 06-04-2015 01:49 PM

1914 Photo of the Boston Braves "The Strategist of the Firing Line"

1 Attachment(s)
Hi All.....
Bought this off of eBay a few days ago, arrived today to add to the ever-growing Boston Braves collection (and that is that I'm a lifelong Giants fan).
But there is definitely a connection between the Giants and the Boston team, especially McGraw and Judge Fuchs, Hank Gowdy, even Eddie Stanky was on the 48 Braves and the 51 Giants.

This photo was taken by Underwood and Underwood and is the Second World Series Game at Shibe Park, October 10th, 1914.
Pictured L-R are: Billy Martin(thanks to RUKen's research), Dick Rudolph,Captain Johnny Evers, Manager George Stallings and Coach Fred Mitchell
there are many things to love about this photo.....I love the unknown player far left in those beautiful "wild" coats they wore, featured on the cover of BASEBALL MAGAZINE Feb 1915. What looks to be a discarded program under the bench beneath Stallings and those great Deep Blue Pinstriped Uniforms with the red B and Indian Patch. I have a reproduction of the home jersey, but this is the one they should make with cap. I think the cap has a red band around the base of the crown if not mistaken.

The photo measures 7 7/8 x 9 7/8 inches.

Anyway ,purchased from Memory Lane as a Type 1........I could not be happier.
Enjoy, Mike

JJ McGraw 06-04-2015 01:49 PM

Backside

1 Attachment(s)
The back of the photo

RUKen 06-04-2015 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ McGraw (Post 1417979)
Pictured L-R are: (either Jack or Billy ) Martin, Dick Rudolph,Captain Johnny Evers, Manager George Stallings and Coach Fred Mitchell

Jack Martin was traded to the Phillies on July 3rd, 1914; Billy Martin joined the Braves in October and played his only major league game with them on October 6th, so it must be Billy in the photo.

JJ McGraw 06-04-2015 07:13 PM

Jack photo

Great, thanks. I had found a picture of Jack and his was a lot beefier in the face than the Martin pictured here. I looked up Billy's stats and it said he only played in 1914 but gave no details, both are listed on the 1914 Roster, but no details, so I appreciate the heads up......Billy it is, thanks, Mike

Dto7 06-04-2015 08:24 PM

Differently Billy Martin..Jack and Billy come nowhere close to looking like one another.

murphusa 06-05-2015 07:19 AM

Fabulous pennant from this team on ebay right now

JJ McGraw 06-05-2015 08:45 AM

Wow

You are not just kidding.....that is an amazing pennant....WOWIE!!!!!

sporteq 06-05-2015 04:23 PM

Beautiful image... love the patch on the sleeve!

Albert