Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   TPG Grading Process/Rules/Guidelines for graders (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=269424)

ullmandds 05-26-2019 04:44 PM

TPG Grading Process/Rules/Guidelines for graders

Is this a big mystery what actually happens to cards when they are sent to be graded by TPG'ers? Does anyone know the process? The training of the "graders?" Are there "notes" that the "graders" are given regarding issues so they can refer to these "notes" since they don't really know about most card issues?

You'd think that former employees would have given insight into this? Are employees forcd to sign indefinite non-disclosure forms stating they will never ever discuss this?

And I'm guessing "graders" aren't paid much?

Do we know what technology is used...if any?

WTF???

asphaltman 05-26-2019 05:18 PM

It’d be nice if the graders had some information on their websites stating how they grade, how they teach grading, what do they do when they honestly just don’t have any knowledge on a rare issue.

CobbSpikedMe 05-26-2019 05:25 PM

The graders know about all issues no matter how rare they are. They take lots of notes when they are reviewing a card and have to type up their notes in the system before they can leave for the day. They don't sign non-disclosure agreements but they do love the company so much that they never tell the secrets of the grader after they leave. And everything I've typed in this post is a big pile of horse neers. :D

ullmandds 05-26-2019 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe (Post 1881372)
The graders know about all issues no matter how rare they are. They take lots of notes when they are reviewing a card and have to type up their notes in the system before they can leave for the day. They don't sign non-disclosure agreements but they do love the company so much that they never tell the secrets of the grader after they leave. And everything I've typed in this post is a big pile of horse neers. :D

haha...your description was sounding like the day of a doctor!!!!

jad22 05-26-2019 06:31 PM

I imagine cards are fabricated by the manufacturer to a certain length and width using nominal values for each. Obviously, the nominal value is not going to be hit during the entire manufacturing period so there will be some differences. Where does PSA find these tolerances? They have to know what would be considered undersized for a certain card set or are they not measuring at all? How are they are measuring? Read all sorts of posts over the years where somebody who has pulled the card from the original pack submitted it and it came back not meeting the size requirements.

steve B 05-26-2019 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jad22 (Post 1881399)
I imagine cards are fabricated by the manufacturer to a certain length and width using nominal values for each. Obviously, the nominal value is not going to be hit during the entire manufacturing period so there will be some differences. Where does PSA find these tolerances? They have to know what would be considered undersized for a certain card set or are they not measuring at all? How are they are measuring? Read all sorts of posts over the years where somebody who has pulled the card from the original pack submitted it and it came back not meeting the size requirements.

Size varies a lot on most older sets, a bit less on stuff from postwar, and on many modern card sets shouldn't vary at all. It's all about the technology of the time, and the person doing the cutting.

I don't recall what PSA told me way back when they were new and I asked about 70's cards that were large or small from the factory. I'd like to say 1/64th of an inch under but since the holders were sized pretty closely no tolerance for oversize. But that was a long time ago.

That level of accuracy can be done easily with an inexpensive machinists rule. Starrett makes nice ones for under $30.
http://www.starrett.com/metrology/pr...-Rules/C304R-6

but even a cheap one is fairly accurate. 2.99

home depot machinists rule

If you're more serious, I have a digital caliper that can get within .001 in, and sort of accurately to 1/10000th. But it only costs $40-50 so I don't trust it that much.

Add a 40x loupe at under $10, and a bit of knowledge, and you're all set to detect most trimming. (Nearly all, if you act conservatively and reject any that don't seem quite "right" )

Goudey77 05-26-2019 10:45 PM

I’m glad you guys are finally seeing the light

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0H5j0mQYpy8

Aquarian Sports Cards 05-27-2019 05:26 AM

Nobody disagrees with you about the need for TPG's to step up. I hate to speak for others, but where I disagree with you is in absolving PWCC for all responsibility for there questionable actions (to put it very kindly) let alone with your stance that they are the solution to the TPG problem.

ullmandds 05-27-2019 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goudey77 (Post 1881450)
I’m glad you guys are finally seeing the light

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0H5j0mQYpy8

Have you tried spreading your word over at blowout forums??

insidethewrapper 05-27-2019 11:10 AM

On the PSA web site it states they use 7x-10x power magnification, they state don't over do it.

steve B 05-27-2019 03:25 PM

7-10 should be just fine. I like the cheap 40X because the lens size is large compared to most inexpensive 10X. Around an inch instead of a half inch.

The SGC guy I talked to had a very nice lighted 10X with maybe a 3" lens. I found them online, and considered buying one, but I'm just too cheap.

ruth-gehrig 05-27-2019 05:34 PM

There is or at least once was a former SGC grader on the board. There are probably others. Maybe someone will chime in, maybe they won't.

T206Collector 05-27-2019 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig (Post 1881695)
There is or at least once was a former SGC grader on the board. There are probably others. Maybe someone will chime in, maybe they won't.

Without any inside info, I would bet there are things they do that would be reassuring, and plenty that would really keep you concerned. There’s a reason they keep the wizard of Oz behind a curtain...

bnorth 05-27-2019 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig (Post 1881695)

Recently(in last month) a member poster that they are a PSA grader. Can't remember in what thread though.