Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Another no hitter last night (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=307065)

doug.goodman 08-26-2021 09:10 PM

Another no hitter last night

In San Diego last night, starting with the sixth inning :

Buehler didn't give up a hit in the 6th, or his part of the 7th.
Kelly finished the 7th without allowing a hit
Treinen pitched a hitless 8th
Jansen threw a hitless 9th
Vesia followed with a hitless 10th
Bickford wasn't to be out done with a hitless 11th
Bruihl got in on the fun with a hitless 12th
Graterol continued the streak with two hitless in the 13th and 14th

All told, the Padres made 30 outs between their 5th and 15th inning hits.

What a great game, and one of the rare games that I could watch on TV, so good timing.

Doug

todeen 08-26-2021 09:16 PM

Very interesting! I didn't read any of the articles that said the game was wild. I just celebrated that the Padres lost. Go Reds for wild card #2.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Casey2296 08-26-2021 09:21 PM

So do 8 pitchers get credited with a no no?

molenick 08-26-2021 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey2296 (Post 2138719)
So do 8 pitchers get credited with a no no?

The game wasn't a no-hitter...it's just that there was nine-inning stretch within the game where the Padres did not get a hit. I believe it was also the longest game (by innings) since the runner-on-second rule was instituted.

Casey2296 08-26-2021 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molenick (Post 2138728)
The game wasn't a no-hitter...it's just that there was nine-inning stretch within the game where the Padres did not get a hit. I believe it was also the longest game (by innings) since the runner-on-second rule was instituted.

Thanks for the clarification, although it's a bit sad to see grown ass professional men play with a rule that I haven't seen since I coached little league.

doug.goodman 08-27-2021 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molenick (Post 2138728)

All I know is I watched 9 consecutive inning without a hit, and in MY mind (which is both a weird and a wonderful place) THAT is a no hitter.

You can call it an avocado for all I care, but I saw a no hitter, which arguably would have been even better had the Dodgers lost. With a tip of my cap to Jim Maloney.

And yes, the longest previous game since the runner started getting placed on second base in extras was 13 innings.

mrreality68 08-27-2021 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug.goodman (Post 2138715)
In San Diego last night, starting with the sixth inning :

Buehler didn't give up a hit in the 6th, or his part of the 7th.
Kelly finished the 7th without allowing a hit
Treinen pitched a hitless 8th
Jansen threw a hitless 9th
Vesia followed with a hitless 10th
Bickford wasn't to be out done with a hitless 11th
Bruihl got in on the fun with a hitless 12th
Graterol continued the streak with two hitless in the 13th and 14th

All told, the Padres made 30 outs between their 5th and 15th inning hits.

What a great game, and one of the rare games that I could watch on TV, so good timing.

Doug

Fantastic and forever

molenick 08-27-2021 06:58 AM

Well, I can't argue with what happens in someone's mind. In my mind, Hank Aaron is still the all-time home run leader and Armando Galarraga pitched a perfect game, but MLB disagrees. I was just clarifying what happened in the game...we can call it anything we want but MLB is not going to call it a no-hitter when there were hits in the game (oh...and in my mind Madison Bumgarner's complete game, 7 inning shutout in which he didn't allow any hits is a no-hitter as well...it's not his fault it was a scheduled 7 inning game).

But whatever we call it, the game was definitely a 1 of 1.