Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Not as neat of a discovery, X2. (post cards) (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=243788)

irv 08-17-2017 07:41 PM

Not as neat of a discovery, X2. (post cards)

6 Attachment(s)
To further add to my latest Mantle pic post, I also came across these which I forgot I had.
Like I mentioned last year, I was out of the hobby for 30+ years so like a lot things over that time frame, these were also forgotten about.

I know very little about them, or if any have any value, etc, but I think they are pretty cool to have as these were likely cut out and saved by my Father.

swarmee 08-17-2017 09:30 PM

Most of them would only grade Authentic so you're going to lose some interested buyers. Check them to see if they're plentiful for sale or short printed.

irv 08-18-2017 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 1691877)
Most of them would only grade Authentic so you're going to lose some interested buyers. Check them to see if they're plentiful for sale or short printed.

Why is that, John? Most have perforations or hints of the blue borders but I assume there is more to it than that?

Looking at this link, I found out they are 1962's and also found out some have some pretty good value if this list is accurate?
https://www.psacard.com/smrpriceguid...st-cereal/1185

These are some of what I have and their MT-9 values. I am not sure how these are graded but I would say most of mine are EX+ with some higher and some lower?

Gordie Coleman #116 $450 MT-9
Norm Siebern #92 $350 MT-9 (I have 2 copies)
Early Wynn #55 $300 MT-9
Pete Runnels #57 $150 MT-9
Frank Robinson #122 $250 MT-9
Norm Larker #113 $300 MT-9
Joey Jay #124 (Blue lines around stats) $600 MT-9
Don Drysdale #110 $150 MT-9 (mine's like a 2-4?)
Carlton Willey #155 $150 MT-9

swarmee 08-18-2017 09:57 AM

Ah, if those are all the perforated versions, then they would grade higher than authentic. However, the cards that were hand-cut should have the full black border around them. And of course, since they're the Canadian versions, they're more rare than the US cards.

skil55voy 08-18-2017 01:26 PM

1962 Post Cereal Candian

They are 1962 Post Cereal Canadian. Unlike the US version they would have blue borders instead of black ones. The borders are thicker than the US version. The perforated ones do not have blue borders. They were inserted INSIDE Sugar Crisp boxes. They were wrapped in plastic. The buyer did not have the luxury of looking at the back of the box to see which cards were there. The perforated cards are akin to the company sheets offered as a mail-in in 1961. The 61 company sheets were perforated with no borders.

swarmee 08-18-2017 05:41 PM

And there are quite a few that would only get authentic, like the Kluzeswki, O'Toole, Pascual, Willie Davis, etc. Those cards are trimmed through the dashed borders and would not get number grades.

skil55voy 08-19-2017 09:03 AM

62 Post Canadian

Yes, while I said no borders on the perforated cards, they did have a thin blue dotted line in which to cut where there was no perforation. I have a full sheet. If there is any interest I can scan and post.

Hot Springs Bathers 08-19-2017 10:26 AM

Irv if I had one of my Dad's sets I would finish it leave them in pages and enjoy it until you passed it your children! Just my thought.

irv 08-20-2017 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skil55voy (Post 1692078)
They are 1962 Post Cereal Canadian. Unlike the US version they would have blue borders instead of black ones. The borders are thicker than the US version. The perforated ones do not have blue borders. They were inserted INSIDE Sugar Crisp boxes. They were wrapped in plastic. The buyer did not have the luxury of looking at the back of the box to see which cards were there. The perforated cards are akin to the company sheets offered as a mail-in in 1961. The 61 company sheets were perforated with no borders.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 1692176)
And there are quite a few that would only get authentic, like the Kluzeswki, O'Toole, Pascual, Willie Davis, etc. Those cards are trimmed through the dashed borders and would not get number grades.

Quote:

Originally Posted by skil55voy (Post 1692326)
Yes, while I said no borders on the perforated cards, they did have a thin blue dotted line in which to cut where there was no perforation. I have a full sheet. If there is any interest I can scan and post.

Great info, guys, thanks.

In the link I posted, it mentioned "Blue lines around stats" on the Joey Jay card. Am I thinking correctly that that is the area on the bottom that is obviously around the stats or are they referring to the blue borders?

That would be great if you could post up a scan, Micheal. I would like to see that!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers (Post 1692358)
Irv if I had one of my Dad's sets I would finish it leave them in pages and enjoy it until you passed it your children! Just my thought.

I was actually thinking about sending some of these in for grading as I have never done that before, but with this new info, and the fact they are not likely worth as much as I was thinking, I will likely just sell them if anyone is interested?

In my FlickR link below, among all the other 52 Topps cards, are 148 my Father gave me many years ago. I have been trying, (although it's highly unlikely I'll ever finish it), to add to it as much as possible in hopes to show him someday what a completed, or almost completed set looks like.
That is my main focus and where 99% of my play money currently goes so completing this Post set, at this time, is out of the question.

If and when I ever get close to completing this 52 Topps set, and like my Father did for me, and if things don't change, I will hopefully be passing these cards onto my son. :)

skil55voy 08-21-2017 10:16 AM

More 62 Canadian

2 Attachment(s)
Irv,

Attached is a Sugar Crisp sheet. You will note the Joey Jay card. Jay was also on the back of the Bran Flakes cereal. That card would have blue borders. I have also scanned an Eddie Yost card. That card has blue borders.

irv 08-21-2017 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skil55voy (Post 1692978)
Irv,

Attached is a Sugar Crisp sheet. You will note the Joey Jay card. Jay was also on the back of the Bran Flakes cereal. That card would have blue borders. I have also scanned an Eddie Yost card. That card has blue borders.

Thank you very much, Michael. :)

Is that Joey Jay card really worth that much money, or am I missing something?
Joey Jay #124 (Blue lines around stats) $600 MT-9

skil55voy 08-22-2017 12:29 PM

Value

Irv,

The prices that were quoted to you were for the 62 US cards. The Jay card in the US set is framed in red. However there are blue lines in the stat box. Card is rare and there is a Koufax and a Clemente with the same anomaly. I can post pictures as I have all three.

The Jay in the Canadian set is worth 8-10 dollars depending on condition. The Sugar Crisp card is usually in better shape than the Bran Flakes card.

Mike

irv 08-22-2017 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skil55voy (Post 1693403)
Irv,

The prices that were quoted to you were for the 62 US cards. The Jay card in the US set is framed in red. However there are blue lines in the stat box. Card is rare and there is a Koufax and a Clemente with the same anomaly. I can post pictures as I have all three.

The Jay in the Canadian set is worth 8-10 dollars depending on condition. The Sugar Crisp card is usually in better shape than the Bran Flakes card.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I knew I couldn't be that lucky! :(

Would love to see those pics if it's not too much trouble?

skil55voy 08-23-2017 11:53 AM

62 Blue Lines in Stats

1 Attachment(s)
Irv,

Here are the three from the 62 US set.

Mike

irv 08-23-2017 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skil55voy (Post 1693790)
Irv,

Here are the three from the 62 US set.

Mike

Thanks, Michael.

Those are some great looking cards! :)

swarmee 08-25-2017 05:05 AM

irv, I would caution you against using PSA 9 prices for cards that are cut from boxes. Many have spider wrinkles from the scissors used to cut them, which would put them at a 3-4 range if they even deserve a number grade at all. The three just shown with red borders would all likely get PSA AUTH, not number grades.
PSA 9s of cereal box cards from the 60s are super rare examples and are priced accordingly by the registry set collectors. Many were probably cut in the past 10 years, not 50 years ago by the kids that originally collected them. Many also have glue stains on the back because of the box construction. For the American Post cereal cards from 1963, it looks like PSA considers the commons in PSA 5 to be worth $3 and in PSA 9 of $60. That's a 20:1 ratio of a 9 to an Excellent card.

irv 08-27-2017 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 1694521)
irv, I would caution you against using PSA 9 prices for cards that are cut from boxes. Many have spider wrinkles from the scissors used to cut them, which would put them at a 3-4 range if they even deserve a number grade at all. The three just shown with red borders would all likely get PSA AUTH, not number grades.
PSA 9s of cereal box cards from the 60s are super rare examples and are priced accordingly by the registry set collectors. Many were probably cut in the past 10 years, not 50 years ago by the kids that originally collected them. Many also have glue stains on the back because of the box construction. For the American Post cereal cards from 1963, it looks like PSA considers the commons in PSA 5 to be worth $3 and in PSA 9 of $60. That's a 20:1 ratio of a 9 to an Excellent card.

Thanks, John.

I know now from the info I have received, that these cards are nothing like I had originally thought.
Lots have those glue stains, among other issues, so no thoughts now about sending them in.

I appreciate the info. :)

skil55voy 08-28-2017 09:28 AM

Glue Stains

Irv,

The glue stains are normal on some of the Post Cereal cards. They come from the plastic bag that holds the cereal and was in some cases glued to the inside of the box. PSA has very little knowledge of the Post Cereal cards and in MY opinion doesn't take many of the nuances of the set into consideration. There are some cards that will not have black or blue borders due to the box that they were on. There were no gaps between the cards as there were on the other boxes that would allow the cards to be cut "outside" the borders. Since the cards were blank backed I find it silly that a card with glue stains and all borders would be graded less. It's silly. The glue stains are part of the product and don't damage the front of the card. Their logic in my opinion is baffling.

tschock 08-28-2017 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skil55voy (Post 1695508)
There were no gaps between the cards as there were on the other boxes that would allow the cards to be cut "outside" the borders.

This! If you are going to grade any hand-cut card, as long as there is part of the complete dotted line showing on all sides, this should qualify as properly cut. Obviously, my opinion.

irv 08-28-2017 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skil55voy (Post 1695508)
Irv,

The glue stains are normal on some of the Post Cereal cards. They come from the plastic bag that holds the cereal and was in some cases glued to the inside of the box. PSA has very little knowledge of the Post Cereal cards and in MY opinion doesn't take many of the nuances of the set into consideration. There are some cards that will not have black or blue borders due to the box that they were on. There were no gaps between the cards as there were on the other boxes that would allow the cards to be cut "outside" the borders. Since the cards were blank backed I find it silly that a card with glue stains and all borders would be graded less. It's silly. The glue stains are part of the product and don't damage the front of the card. Their logic in my opinion is baffling.

I agree with what you're saying, Michael, it does seem silly so hopefully someday, if there's enough that get graded, they will get a little better/more knowledgeable when it comes to these cards.

Thanks again for the info! :)