Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   If you could keep only one vintage card or piece of memorabilia, what would you keep? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=62084)

Archive 08-10-2002 08:30 PM

If you could keep only one vintage card or piece of memorabilia, what would you keep?

Posted By: <b>Patrick McMenemy</b><p>If you had to sell off your collection, and could only keep a single vintage card or piece of memorabilia, what would you select?<BR><BR>I would keep an autographed photo of Ira Thomas and Connie Mack sitting in their dugout during the 1911 World Series that was taken by photographer, Paul Thompson.<BR><BR>(Of course, we all know this is hypothetical, since none of us plan to part with our collections!)

Archive 08-10-2002 08:47 PM

If you could keep only one vintage card or piece of memorabilia, what would you keep?

Posted By: <b>brian parker</b><p>It would be my lovingly beat-up T206 Mathewson black cap card which was part of a group of five 1910 era HOF players, my first vintage cards, all purchased at a card show in the early 80's for around $11.00. He is kind of soiled, has creases all over and paper missing on the bottom border, but his face, like some kind of saintly vision, remains blemish free. <BR>To upgrade this card would be sacrilegious to me.<BR><BR>Brian

Archive 08-10-2002 10:22 PM

Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>Never say never. I sold my collection back in 1990 becuase I was totally disgusted with hobby and where it was going. The fact that I had a kid on the way and was buying a house also helped that decision.<BR><BR>I sold almost everything except my Tony Oliva items and all the the letters and signed Items I got from various Negro League players like Lou Dials, Martin DiHigo and Double-duty Ratcliffe.<BR><BR>I also unknowingly kept variuos cards that I had put between the pages of books for protection while moving.<BR><BR>If I had to choose one thing to keep, I guess it would be the picture Bert Blyleven signed for me when I was a kid.<BR><BR>Jay

Archive 08-10-2002 11:01 PM

Posted By: <b>John(z28jd)</b><p>this topic just makes me sad,because i wouldnt want to think of selling everything. I would probably keep the nicest 74 topps carlton fisk i have(i have a few to choose from) because its my favorite card or my favorite player.....if i had to pick vintage i would take my t206 bresnahan portrait,the one that started it all,eventho i have many nicer ones ,that has to be my choice

Archive 08-10-2002 11:52 PM

Posted By: <b>TBob</b><p>1) A personally inscribed baseball to my daughter which says "Best wishes Ashley, Joe Dimaggio." The picture of Joe D. handing her the ball (she was about 9 years old at the time) was on the front page of the Kansas City Star.<BR><BR>Ashley has the ball now and the picture so I guess I will have to go with this one:<BR><BR>2)A "folk art ball" in which the owner some where between 1914 and 1940 carefully pasted M116s and T207s around a baseball and then neatly pasted a cut signature of Christy Mathewson. One of a kind and unfriggingbelievable. It is beautiful piece of memorabilia. You may remember this in a Robert Edwards auction about 7 or 8 years ago. He (original owner) also did the same thing with signatures of Johnny Evers and 2 or 3 other HOFers. The balls brought a lot of bidding attention but 8 years later, they would go through the roof.

Archive 08-10-2002 11:54 PM

Posted By: <b>Jaime Leiderman</b><p>I would keep a 1982 Venezuelan Winter League All-Star signed baseball. <BR><BR>Almost all of my favorite players back then signed the ball for me.<BR><BR>I'd even sell a nice Ruth/Gehrig 30's Yankees signed ball before this one!

Archive 08-11-2002 02:32 AM

Posted By: <b>Dan Mathewson</b><p>Of all the cards, my favorite has to be my Matty 1913 Fan For a Fan. I think it is such a unique piece. A close second is a PSA 8 - M116 Pastel. I love the portrait on that card.<BR><BR>Of my entire collection...a Baseball Bat from Christy's estate, a circa 1917 Bat from his time as Manager of the Reds.<BR><BR>I wouldn't want to give up either of these...

Archive 08-11-2002 02:37 AM

Posted By: <b>David</b><p>(I got them together, so am counting them as one). An Earl Campbell (football) signed 'Skoal' Photo and football card that I got as a kid.

Archive 08-11-2002 03:06 PM

Posted By: <b>Julie Vognar</b><p>I DID have to sell allmost alll of my collection in 1988...it was hell. But I hadn't yet gotten into 19th century stuff much yet.<BR><BR>Probably my Old Judge Radbourn, Hoy, and A35 Kelly. I hate to think of getting rid of so many things, I sure hope 1988 doesn't happen again. Conlon photos of Landis, Gleason, anonymous photo of Jackson, Conlon Cicotte. I better quit...