Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Harry Davis T206 Variation? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180318)

Bpm0014 12-16-2013 02:08 PM

Harry Davis T206 Variation?

1 Attachment(s)
I have never been into T206 "variation cards" such as Shappe/Sharpe, Nodgrass/Snodgrass, etc. etc. And I think I may have asked this before, but I think I may have something here (or not?). I have now found 3 confirmed examples in the last 3 months or so of searching. Rather than say "H. Davis, Phila. AMER", mine says "H. Davis, Phila. AMEP". Please see the scan. Am I onto something, or just wishful thinking? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

ullmandds 12-16-2013 02:17 PM

looks as legit as any other "silly" t206 broken plate variation to me.

you may be able to take that long vacation you've been dreaming of soon!:D

Bpm0014 12-16-2013 06:11 PM

For the record I also agree. They are a little overrated. But it would be nice to own a rare variation!

thehoodedcoder 12-16-2013 07:07 PM

i have one of each of the major variations and a few duplicates.

the dopner card really is very hard to tell if it is a plate error, even under a loupe.

collect what you like. if you don't want it any longer, maybe i will buy it from you. :cool:

kevin

Bpm0014 12-16-2013 08:52 PM

Thanks Kevin. Maybe one day I'll take you up on that offer! After searching probably hundreds of these (over 3 months) I have finally located another example. I know that someone else on the board has one as well, which makes 3...

steve B 12-16-2013 08:57 PM

Cool find.

I was excited seeing the title, I figured someone had a copy of one I've got on the "maybe" list.

I've been keeping it under wraps, since it's a maybe major variation like the tinker fielding with "Chicago" showing. I'll probably do a thread on it soonish.

Steve B

Jantz 12-16-2013 10:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Brendan

The more time spent looking at these T206s, the more you will notice flaws like "AMEP" on your Davis.

Here is another example, notice that part of the "G" in Gilbert is missing. It doesn't form a different letter like your Davis, but they are out there. I've seen a few other Gilberts like this, so its not paper loss.

Some wear and tear had to occur on the plates for as many T206s that were printed.

Nice card either way.

Jantz

Bpm0014 12-17-2013 07:36 AM

Thanks Jantz. Nice card as well! That's exactly how I found mine, just looking through them and examining them and this stuck out. I was never really into the variation craze, but hopefully we found a new one here.

Pat R 04-19-2018 12:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This is one of the print flaws that I've been doing research on
and I picked up a new example recently.

Attachment 313107

This newest example makes eleven that I've seen here's one with
a Sovereign back.

Attachment 313108

MVSNYC 04-19-2018 01:23 PM

I think some of these error/variation cards are due to a broken plate, and other times, I think simply something got in front of the plate (spec of paper, etc), and blocked a full printing.

As previously mentioned, I was the first collector to submit the Nodgrass variation to PSA, and had to write a letter explaining the error. They slabbed it a 3, this was around 1998, I sold it in Lelands a year or two later.

Sean 04-19-2018 01:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MVSNYC (Post 1768857)
I think some of these error/variation cards are due to a broken plate, and other times, I think simply something got in front of the plate (spec of paper, etc), and blocked a full printing.

As previously mentioned, I was the first collector to submit the Nodgrass variation to PSA, and had to write a letter explaining the error. They slabbed it a 3, this was around 1998, I sold it in Lelands a year or two later.

Hey Mike, I think that this is that card:

Attachment 313113

MVSNYC 04-19-2018 02:48 PM

That looks like it...I got it for $40 in a card shop in Allentown 25 years ago.

Do you own it now?

Sean 04-19-2018 03:20 PM

Yes, I bought it from TJ Schwartz in 2005. :)

I'm pretty sure that I got that name wrong.

Pat R 04-19-2018 03:36 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MVSNYC (Post 1768857)

Michael, I think this is the case on the Davis and most if not all of
these type of flaws/variations.

They all come from the same sheet position and have other matching
front and back print defects.

The upper plate scratch is on all of the "AMEP" ones I've had it hand but it
is very faint on some of them and you can only see it under magnification.

Attachment 313128

Attachment 313129

Attachment 313130

MVSNYC 04-19-2018 05:42 PM

Pat, your research into this area of the printing process has been incredible! Thanks for sharing.

Sean- I think I have pics of the Nod when it was raw, I’ll look tonight, but I’m positive that was mine.

Sean 04-19-2018 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVSNYC (Post 1768907)
Pat, your research into this area of the printing process has been incredible! Thanks for sharing..

+ 1

MVSNYC 04-20-2018 08:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sean- bingo, yours...was mine.

Look at the 2 dots left of his head, and dot under the "Y" in N.Y.

steve B 04-20-2018 01:59 PM

There's probably a bunch of these, mostly unrecognized.

The images were put on the stones with transfers, and sometimes the transfer wasn't complete.

I have a stranger one on the same card that I'm unsure of. It's either a really great variation, or total junk. I've owned it for a few years now, and can't decide.