Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Honus wagner in rea (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=149443)

forazzurri2axz 03-30-2012 03:20 PM

Honus wagner in rea

Why would a card with a date stamp on the back, albeit a cool date stamp, not be graded with an MK qualifier??.............also, the name seems almost at the lower border where I have seen a typical MC given----what gives???

Howe’s Hunter 03-30-2012 03:28 PM

This thread is a few pages back...

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...ighlight=honus

botn 03-31-2012 09:29 AM

3rd time is a charm...

A thread was started here too http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=148970

e107collector 03-31-2012 06:43 PM

2012 rea

Does anyone know if the REA preview might be up this week?

Tony

olrac44 04-11-2012 11:13 AM

Will it help or hurt the overall price of t-206 wagner that 3 are up for auction in such a short period of time (Goodwin, REA, Memory Lane)?

97manoftroy 04-11-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olrac44 (Post 983032)
Will it help or hurt the overall price of t-206 wagner that 3 are up for auction in such a short period of time (Goodwin, REA, Memory Lane)?

I was thinking the same thing.
Are 3 One Million Dollar plus sales in a row possible?

olrac44 04-11-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97manoftroy (Post 983034)
I was thinking the same thing.
Are 3 One Million Dollar plus sales in a row possible?

Not sure if ML's wagner will get to $1M since it's been available for less than that recently.

glchen 04-11-2012 01:48 PM

I have no idea how the Memory Lane Wagner got a 2 from PSA. That's a POOR at best: Link. It's like there's a different grading scale for Wagners.

prewarsports 04-11-2012 01:55 PM

Gary

I dont often agree that 3rd parties overgrade because I generally use the pre-slabbing standards but I agree with you that Wagner is overgraded, even in the 1970's that was a fair condition card at best!

Rhys

bijoem 04-11-2012 02:04 PM

with a card like this - does the number on the flip, or the lack of a qualifier even matter? Having a number matters (as opposed to an authentic or altered)

I'm thinking the number in this case and the lack of qualifier doesn't matter at all.

The bidders will be able to see the front and back of the card - -
and quite frankly, the bidders' opinion means a heck of a lot more than the grader's opinion on this card.

Leon 04-11-2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prewarsports (Post 983085)
Gary

I dont often agree that 3rd parties overgrade because I generally use the pre-slabbing standards but I agree with you that Wagner is overgraded, even in the 1970's that was a fair condition card at best!

Rhys

Personally, I think it was the "Wagner" mystique that kept this out of the Poor-Fair conditioned category.

Runscott 04-11-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 983091)
Personally, I think it was the "Wagner" mystique that kept this out of the Poor-Fair conditioned category.

Yes, but PSA and SGC always try to do their best to grade honestly and accurately, as with the Piedmont 150 Plank. Surely they are aware of the "Wagner" mystique and would be careful not to be influenced by it when grading.

Leon 04-11-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 983093)
Yes, but PSA and SGC always try to do their best to grade honestly and accurately, as with the Piedmont 150 Plank. Surely they are aware of the "Wagner" mystique and would be careful not to be influenced by it when grading.

How often have you put the current Piedmont Plank under magnification or held it in your hand? All of the drivel in the world isn't holding the value back either.....and it shouldn't. I trust SGC got that card right.

travrosty 04-11-2012 02:37 PM

its creased all to heck and its not a 1?

t206hound 04-11-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travrosty (Post 983096)
its creased all to heck and its not a 1?

There's no way a Heinie Wagner in the same condition comes back a 2... just sayin'.

T206Collector 04-11-2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 983093)

Um.... I think you meant that SGC always tries. :D

Runscott 04-11-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 983095)
How often have you put the current Piedmont Plank under magnification or held it in your hand? All of the drivel in the world isn't holding the value back either.....and it shouldn't. I trust SGC got that card right.

The same number of times that you have.

I'm sure you meant to type 'dissenting opinion', but accidentally typed 'drivel' :)

As far as 'dissenting opinion' not holding back value, the first grading company was created precisely to 'create value'. Since then, 'creating value' has continued to be a feature of such companies. The SGC Plank aside, if two people owned the Wagner in question, each sent it to be graded, and one grading company gave it the grade that you just said you think it should have gotten, and the other gave it the grade that it is currently slabbed with, which one is 'worth' more? ...value has obviously been created.

Same goes for an 'authentic' Plank, vs the SGC-graded Plank - if it is in fact a hand-cut card that simply has 100 years of age added via normal wear, value has been created by that slab, regardless of whether or not we think they got it right.

I think this is just good-natured discussion. I still agree that if they were going to slab the Plank, based on their criteria for assigning grades, they had to give it a number.

drc 04-11-2012 05:41 PM

I was told that to prevent such grading bias, the graders are blindfolded.

This time the grader was turned the wrong way and graded the door knob. Gd due to rounded edges.