Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Cobb-Jackson postcard value? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=162132)

RichardSimon 01-25-2013 06:49 AM

Cobb-Jackson postcard value?

2 Attachment(s)
I am being offered this postcard but have no idea of value.
I only have scans of the front and back, I have not seen the actual item.
Any help is appreciated.

Bicem 01-25-2013 07:10 AM

Looks like a fantasy piece to me. Modern image glued to a period postcard back perhaps?

Jaybird 01-25-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bicem (Post 1078139)
Looks like a fantasy piece to me. Modern image glued to a period postcard back perhaps?

I'd be inclined to agree. I've seen hundreds of RPPCs and don't think I've ever seen the kind of wear on the edges that are present on this one. Odd. Also the odd staining on the front and the line on Joe's face seems weird. Glue bleeding through?

This image is widely reprinted so getting a nice photo is not hard and I think we've seen this a couple of times where people are making their own RPPCs by Frankensteining them. Having it in hand, I'm sure you'd be able to tell right away.

More information and examination needed.

Also, consider your source. Is this the only vintage piece they have?

edited to add: also consider the cropping that was done. if this was done from a negative, it would have been sized down to include the rest of the bats which are visible in every other version of this photo. But, if you were stuck with an photograph that was "off-the-rack", you'd be forced to chop off the edges in order to fit it to postcard dimensions.

thecatspajamas 01-25-2013 02:11 PM

I would also question why the "1891" pencilled on the back (or I guess it could be "1681"), as it does not appear to have any tie to the image on the front (unless, as others suggested, it was in reference to the original pre-skinned card).

Jaybird 01-25-2013 02:40 PM

Also, what is it that we are seeing along the right edge midway down to bottom? Does image end there or is that the back of the postcard showing?

slidekellyslide 01-25-2013 03:04 PM

No doubt about it...that's fake.

RichardSimon 01-25-2013 07:00 PM

Thanks a lot guys.

Runscott 01-26-2013 10:20 AM

A conundrum for forgers. You can glue a modern photo to a real back, and deal with the edge/glue and aging issues - total fail in this case - or you can print the fake back as well, and deal with people questioning the graininess of the back stampings.

I had two fake Ruth postcards that were done using the second method, and they fooled quite a few people, including a well-respected collector of such things on this board. I admit - they sort of fooled me as well, but as Jim mentioned with autographs, you have to pay heed to your initial gut feeling, as it is not usually wrong. This one has that bad gut affect.