Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Telephone number history (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=237072)

JoeyFarino 03-18-2017 02:53 PM

Telephone number history

Does anyone know what period they used 5 digit telephone numbers like this one

http://i450.photobucket.com/albums/q...pszlgiadxt.png

David Atkatz 03-18-2017 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeyFarino (Post 1642430)
Does anyone know what period they used 5 digit telephone numbers like this one

http://i450.photobucket.com/albums/q...pszlgiadxt.png

That is not a "five digit" phone number. Telephone exchanges used to have names. One such name was Murrey Hill. The phone number is MH 6-8826--you would dial 646 8826.

Youngster.

JoeyFarino 03-18-2017 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Atkatz (Post 1642438)
That is not a "five digit" phone number. Telephone exchanges used to have names. One such name was Murrey Hill. The phone number is MH 6-8826--you would dial 646 8826.

Youngster.

Thanks for schoolin me...now I just need to pinpoint the era of this stamp

ooo-ribay 03-18-2017 05:15 PM

I loved those old names.

Ours was TUxedo 5-1505. 50 years later, it still rolls off my tongue. :p

steve B 03-18-2017 05:18 PM

I looked it up once, and from what I recall the change to all numbers over the exchange being named varied from place to place, I'd think NY was fairly early in the change while small towns were probably last. (I grew up in a town that still had at least one crank phone and a switchboard while I lived there, and I'm not that old. ) And since the number dialed didn't really change a business might not have changed anything for a few years.

Steve B

David Atkatz 03-18-2017 05:49 PM

Phone numbers became standardized at seven figures (letters or numbers) in 1931. Some cities had two-letter/four digit dialing before that, and some had three-letter/four digit dialing. A standard system of two-letter/five digit dialing was phased in thru the 1930s. The letters in all cases were the first letters of an exchange name -- MUrray Hill, SPring, COlumbus, UNiversity, INgersoll, TRiangle, HUBbard, COPley, KIRkland, etc. etc. etc.

The changeover to all-number dialing was very gradual, beginning in 1958 and continuing into the 1970s. The transition was smoothest in small towns, where there were generally only one or two local exchanges, and most difficult in large cities where there were many neighborhood exchanges and often emotional attachment to the exchange names. New York City held out the longest, with some of the old exchange names in use as late as 1978.

However, your photo's stamp is pre-Zip Code. And there is no postal zone number present either. (In NYC, postal zone numbers were incorporated into Zip Codes. I grew up in Bronx, 53, NY, which became Bronx, NY 10453.) The United States Post Office Department implemented postal zones for numerous large cities in 1943. So the stamp is pre-1943, even though the photo event was 1946. Still using an old stamp.

ooo-ribay 03-18-2017 07:13 PM

I remember using this site, years ago, while reseaching something collection related:

http://ourwebhome.com/TENP/TENproject.html

bigfanNY 03-18-2017 09:56 PM

I live in house my parents originally bought in 1962 and have a rotary dial phone on the wall which still has 2 letter exchange. I still like dialing a number from time to time..

steve B 03-20-2017 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Atkatz (Post 1642491)
Phone numbers became standardized at seven figures (letters or numbers) in 1931. Some cities had two-letter/four digit dialing before that, and some had three-letter/four digit dialing. A standard system of two-letter/five digit dialing was phased in thru the 1930s. The letters in all cases were the first letters of an exchange name -- MUrray Hill, SPring, COlumbus, UNiversity, INgersoll, TRiangle, HUBbard, COPley, KIRkland, etc. etc. etc.

The changeover to all-number dialing was very gradual, beginning in 1958 and continuing into the 1970s. The transition was smoothest in small towns, where there were generally only one or two local exchanges, and most difficult in large cities where there were many neighborhood exchanges and often emotional attachment to the exchange names. New York City held out the longest, with some of the old exchange names in use as late as 1978.

However, your photo's stamp is pre-Zip Code. And there is no postal zone number present either. (In NYC, postal zone numbers were incorporated into Zip Codes. I grew up in Bronx, 53, NY, which became Bronx, NY 10453.) The United States Post Office Department implemented postal zones for numerous large cities in 1943. So the stamp is pre-1943, even though the photo event was 1946. Still using an old stamp.

Darn memory. Recalled it wrong between small towns and NYC.
I blame the fact that I grew up in a town with a non- Bell company phone system.

Steve B

prewarsports 03-22-2017 11:03 AM

David

That was a really informative answer that I enjoyed reading. Thanks for the detailed information! What are all these millennials going to do when you cant look up life experience on the internet?

HRBAKER 03-27-2017 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prewarsports (Post 1643618)
David

That was a really informative answer that I enjoyed reading. Thanks for the detailed information! What are all these millennials going to do when you cant look up life experience on the internet?

Scratch their neck beard, squirm around in their skinny suits and down a $6 cup of coffee of course. Get off my lawn.

timzcardz 03-28-2017 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Atkatz (Post 1642438)

Youngster.

I could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure that the Murray Hill exchange was dialed MU.

David Atkatz 03-28-2017 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timzcardz (Post 1645288)
I could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure that the Murray Hill exchange was dialed MU.

I think you're right, Tim.