Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Geo. Burke Postcard (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=255758)

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 05-31-2018 04:41 PM

Geo. Burke Postcard

Hey,

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I can not find a comp.

I know it's no touch, but it's a friends and I wanna let him know what he has.

Thanks

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/k481kq95.jpg

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/gcv7c15g.jpg

drcy 05-31-2018 06:46 PM

I have no idea of half of what you were saying, but the stamp on back is vintage to the 1930s.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 05-31-2018 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcy (Post 1782383)
I have no idea of half of what you were saying, but the stamp on back is vintage to the 1930s.

Stupid auto correct. I could not find a comparison. I know it's probably not much, but was wondering about a value.

Forever Young 05-31-2018 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE (Post 1782398)
Stupid auto correct. I could not find a comparison. I know it's probably not much, but was wondering about a value.

It will not get a Burke type 1 photo classification but is a vintage postcard. Maybe worth $5

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 05-31-2018 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forever Young (Post 1782400)
It will not get a Burke type 1 photo classification but is a vintage postcard. Maybe worth $5

ok cool! What's a Type 1 of that same thing worth out of curiosity?

bigfish 05-31-2018 08:20 PM

Type one postcards

I don’t think type one real photo postcards exist. I could be wrong.

Forever Young 05-31-2018 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfish (Post 1782427)
I don’t think type one real photo postcards exist. I could be wrong.

I’m not even 100 percent convinced this is a real photo postcard. The clarity is not so good by the pic. But hard to tell. Burke /brace printed in both photo and postcard format . Some of original neg and some not. Either way, not getting type 1 in postcard format.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 05-31-2018 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forever Young (Post 1782428)
I’m not even 100 percent convinced this is a real photo postcard. The clarity is not so good by the pic. But hard to tell. Burke /brace printed in both photo and postcard format . Some of original neg and some not. Either way, not getting type 1 in postcard format.

Hey wasn’t looking for anything particular just trying to get some info on it. Im pretty good with photos but clueless when it comes to postcards. The stampings seemed legit and clarity was a 7/10 maybe?

steve B 06-01-2018 09:21 AM

Burke probably used a copy negative to make postcards. Which is the way to go on something more mass produced, as it saves wear on the original negative. Especially if he sent them out which might be possible as AZO made loads of photo postcards.

I get why a Burke wouldn't be a type 1 as a postcard, but overall I don't see any reason a photo postcard wouldn't be. Nearly all of the ones that weren't produced for a commercial use were made from the original negatives very soon after development. Clarity of the image doesn't indicate much for those, just like it doesn't mean much for film snapshots taken recently.

prewarsports 06-01-2018 01:03 PM

There is no blanket rule with Burke's. He did not use copy negatives to make his postcards as a rule, he used his original negatives. I am sure there are exceptions where he did not take the original photograph (he used other people's negatives for old timers). The postcards are pretty much exactly the same as his regular photos, just with a back that says "post card" and printed on a different size. The paper stock is consistent with his paper stock used to make his traditional larger photographs.

You could walk into your local photo shop between 1905-1940's and have any negative you supplied them made into photo postcards. I have owned many collections in which there is a photo postcard and a regular photograph done at the same time by the same company off the same negative. It was just a preference on behalf of the person making the photos how they wanted the finished product. If PSA has a blanket rule on RPPC issues similar to their other rules about Horner cabinets etc., that's fine and I can live with that; but from a purely photographic standpoint, there is absolutely nothing that makes this not a Type 1 assuming the original negative was used to make it and it was done within 2 years.

I have some beautiful Burke real photo postcards. They are stunning and completely off the original negatives. Also, the postcards are rarer to find than normal Burke's from my experience so no copy negative would have been needed for mass production.

pbspelly 06-05-2018 07:38 AM

I have several of these of my grandfather and they're quite nice. I think it's worth more than $5. Between $10-20 maybe

Forever Young 06-05-2018 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbspelly (Post 1783767)
I have several of these of my grandfather and they're quite nice. I think it's worth more than $5. Between $10-20 maybe

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...tcard&_sacat=0

now if someone had a connection(such as their grandfather) I can see them valuing them higher. If I had a relative who played, I would pay way more than 10-20.

That said... unless there is some connection or something special about the player/image out of the ordinary , the link I sent should indicate value. Of course there will always be one offs.

pbspelly 06-05-2018 11:11 AM

I stand corrected.

Although if you average it out it comes in a little higher, because one is listed at $1,500. :)

I like how many of them are listed for $6 or $7 "Or Best Offer." I think maybe I'll offer $4.37 and see if they bite.

Forever Young 06-05-2018 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbspelly (Post 1783828)

I like how many of them are listed for $6 or $7 "Or Best Offer." I think maybe I'll offer $4.37 and see if they bite.

Those are the ones that are applicable.