Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What's your favourite baseball book? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=330153)

skelly423 01-10-2023 04:51 PM

What's your favourite baseball book?

I got a number of great books for Christmas this year, but unfortunately I've already finished them. I'm looking to find another great baseball book to read. Give me your best recommendations

Eric72 01-10-2023 04:59 PM

Crazy '08
Cait Murphy

Focused on the 1908 season.

skelly423 01-10-2023 05:05 PM

Loved that one. Right up my alley as a pre-war collector.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric72 (Post 2303036)
Crazy '08
Cait Murphy

Focused on the 1908 season.

Wanaselja 01-10-2023 05:39 PM

I just finished The Card by O”Keefe and Thompson. It was excellent. Also, Satchel by Larry Tye.

Bigdaddy 01-10-2023 05:47 PM

The Boys of Summer by Roger Kahn.

wolterse 01-10-2023 06:04 PM

glory of their times by Lawrence Ritter

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Peter_Spaeth 01-10-2023 06:05 PM

The Glory of Their Times would likely win most polls on this topic.
The Celebrant, though fiction, is very well done.
Shoeless Joe (the book behind Field of Dreams) is outstanding IMO

StraightRaceCards 01-10-2023 06:06 PM

Books

Glory of their times was hands down the best baseball book I’ve read
Really enjoyed the celebrant as well for a unique flavor on what baseball would have been like in the 1900’s

Looking forward to getting some additional suggestions here as well!

StraightRaceCards 01-10-2023 06:06 PM

Woah

Jinx Peter… wow that is good timing!

ClementeFanOh 01-10-2023 06:12 PM

Book recommendation

The Black Prince of Baseball- Donald Dewey and Nicholas Acocella

The Boys of Summer- as mentioned, can't miss

59 in '84: Old Hoss Radbourn, Barehanded Baseball, and the Greatest Season
a Pitcher Ever Had - Edward Achorn

All excellent! Trent King

bnorth 01-10-2023 06:22 PM

More about baseball cards.
Never Cheaper By The Dozen by fellow member Brian Powell
Unfortunately it is not available in actual book form. I know you can get a CD or a Kindle edition. I highly recommend it.

cgjackson222 01-10-2023 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skelly423 (Post 2303034)
I got a number of great books for Christmas this year, but unfortunately I've already finished them. I'm looking to find another great baseball book to read. Give me your best recommendations

What books did you get? If you read them so quickly, they must have been good.

My top 5:
1) The Glory of their Times
2) Mint Condition: How Baseball Cards Became an American Obsession
3) The Card
4) K: A History of Baseball in Ten Pitches
5) The Baseball 100 (by Joe Posnanski)

Honorable Mention: Hank Greenberg The Story of my Life

Jason Carota 01-10-2023 06:32 PM

Hard to pick just one:

https://mcfarlandbooks.com/wp-conten...864-2625-6.jpg

https://img.thriftbooks.com/api/imag...80be915235.jpg

Huck 01-10-2023 07:01 PM

The Glory of Their Times
Men at Work
Dollar Sign on the Muscle
9 innings: The anatomy of a baseball game
Any of the three fireside books

Fred 01-10-2023 07:05 PM

So many great books about baseball.

Yes, Glory of Their Times is one of the better books for serious reading.

After that I think "Ball Four" was one of the more fun reads for me.

Really difficult to say there's a favorite.

bnorth 01-10-2023 07:11 PM

Another card book is: Sportscard Counterfeit Detector by Bob Lemke.
It is OK but not great if you use it for one of the single cards listed in it. It is absolutely amazing if you read the entire book. It shows you how to spot many different counterfeiting techniques. Another card book I highly recommend.

SteveWhite 01-10-2023 07:14 PM

Books

Big Hair and Plastic Grass-A Funny Ride Through Baseball and America in the Swinging '70's
By Dan Epstein

The Machine-A Hot Team, A Legendary Season, and Heart-Stopping World Series. The Story of the 1975 Reds.
Joe Posnanski

tlhss 01-10-2023 07:19 PM

My favorite baseball books

Moneyball

Fastpitch - The Untold History of Softball and the Women Who Made the Game

Ty Cobb - A Terrible Beauty

One Shot at Forever - A Small Town, an Unlikely Coach, and a Magical Baseball Season

Doc

Ball Four

Lefty - An American Odyssey

Exhibitman 01-10-2023 07:56 PM

Baseball book: The Boys of Summer.
Baseball card book: Card Sharks: How Upper Deck Turned a Child's Hobby into a High-Stakes, Billion-Dollar Business by Pete Williams. Takes a deep dive into the seamy, dirty filth of modern cards, at the height of the junk wax era. Ironically, the thieving, scamming and money-grubbing he reports at Upper Deck pales in comparison to what goes on today.

rats60 01-10-2023 08:08 PM

The best baseball cards book is The Great American Baseball Card Flipping Trading and Bubble Gum Book.

deadballfreaK 01-10-2023 08:18 PM

Like many have said "The Glory of Their Times" is the bast baseball book of all time. I just want to say if you have not listened to the audio version you are missing out! After listening to the actual voices of the old timers I fell in love with some of them. Chief Meyers, Hans Lobert, Sam Crawford etc. Jimmy Austen! What a sweet funny guy. Always chuckling. Well, I have to quit and go listen to it again.

Rad_Hazard 01-10-2023 08:23 PM

My top 3 in no particular order:

The Soul of Baseball
59 in 84
The Summer of Beer and Whiskey

commishbob 01-10-2023 08:51 PM

A False Spring, by Pat Jordan is my favorite. Certainly is not an uplifting story but terrific writing.

The Soul of Baseball, by Joe Posnaski is the best book I read last year.

These are books I read (or re-read) in the last couple of years and enjoyed.

Why Time Begins on Opening Day, by Thomas Boswell
Dock Ellis in the Country of Baseball, by Donald Hall
You Gotta Have Wa, by Robert Whiting
The Long Season, by Jim Brosnan
Ball Four, by Jim Bouton
The Boys of Summer, by Roger Kahn
Koufax: A Lefty's Legacy, by Jane Leavy
Crazy '08, by Cait Murphy
The Baseball 100, by Joe Posnaski

and a highly recommended fiction entry:

Man on Spikes, by Eliot Asinof

michael3322 01-10-2023 09:00 PM

For cards:
The Zappalas' collections are the best (Cracker Jacks, 1952 Topps, T206, etc)

https://tomzappalamedia.com/wp-conte...kPlayers-1.png

For photos:
The Charles Conlon books are the best.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/...4,203,200_.jpg

For reading, then Rushin' 34-ton bat is best.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/..._QL40_ML2_.jpg

71buc 01-10-2023 09:05 PM

Bullpen Gospels
https://www.goodreads.com/search?q=B...qid=5CsWfP9hQQ

A False Spring
https://www.nebraskapress.unl.edu/bi...9780803276260/

Miracle Ball
https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/miracl...dition=5932578

Away Games
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1935444.Away_Games

And of course…Ball Four by Jim Bouton

Exhibitman 01-10-2023 09:25 PM

"Pound that Budweiser"

Writehooks 01-10-2023 09:35 PM

Urban Schocker: Silent hero of baseball's Golden Age, by Steve Steinberg (University of Nebraska Press, 2017)

Spartan Seasons: How baseball survived the Second World War, by Richard Goldstein (MacMillan, 1980)

Roger Maris: Baseball's reluctant hero, by Tom Glavin and Danny Perry (Touchstone Press, 2010)

Catfish: My life in baseball, by Jim (Catfish) Hunter (McGraw-Hill, 1988)

Exhibitman 01-10-2023 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rats60 (Post 2303095)
The best baseball cards book is The Great American Baseball Card Flipping Trading and Bubble Gum Book.

Foster Castleman: “Of course a ballplayer with a name like this is never going to amount to anything. If you have a name like an orthodontist you’re going to play like an orthodontist. The guy never really had a shot."

Harvey Haddix: “the reluctantly self-deprecating smile of the perennially dumped-on, the wry smile of the universal victim, the man who expects very little of his peers and knows secretly that he’s going to have to settle for quite a good deal less.”

Reno Bertoia: "The back of Reno's card is interesting. It says that his average last year was .162 and that, although he did not get to play in too many ballgames, he gained valuable information about American League hurlers that would help him in the future. I suspect that the information he gathered was that every pitcher in the American League could get him out, and that perhaps he should try another line of work."

Hector Lopez: "the worst fielding third baseman in the history of baseball. Everyone knows that. It is more or less a matter of public record. But I do feel called upon somehow to try to indicate, if only for the historical archivists among us, the sheer depths of his innovative barbarousness. Hector Lopez was a butcher. Pure and Simple. A butcher. His range was about one step to either side, his hands seemed to be made of concrete and his defensive attitude was so cavalier and arbitrary as to hardly constitute an attitude at all. Hector did not simply field a groundball, he attacked it. Like a farmer trying to kill a snake with a stick. And his mishandling of routine infield flies was the sort of which legends are made. Hector Lopez was not just a bad fielder for a third baseman. In fact, Hector Lopez was not just a bad fielder for a baseball player. Hector Lopez was, when every factor has been taken into consideration, a bad fielder for a human being. The stands are full of obnoxious leather-lunged cretins who insist they can play better than most major leaguers. Well, in Hector's case they could have been right. I would like to go on record right here and now as declaring Hector Lopez the all-time worst fielding major league ballplayer. That's quite a responsibility there, Hector, but I have every confidence you'll be able to live up to it."

Ted Williams: "In 1955, there were 77,263,127 male American human beings. And every one of them in his heart of hearts would have given two arms, a leg and his collection of Davy Crockett iron-ons to be Teddy Ballgame."

Satchel Paige: "could have been the greatest pitcher in major league history, if he'd been given the chance. Don't look back, America, something might be gaining on you."

FrankWakefield 01-10-2023 09:51 PM

Non-Fiction

The Glory of Their Times
Baseball When the Grass was Real
The Fix is In
October 1964 - David Halberstam
July 2, 1903, The Mysterious Death of Hall of Famer Big Ed Delehanty - Sowell
The Unforgetable Season - Gordon Fleming (best book about the 1908 Cubs, and the truth about the Merkle play)
The Dizziest Season - Gordon Fleming (the 1934 path for the Tigers and Cardinals to meet in that 1934 World Series)
Baseball in '41 - Robert Creamer
Stengel, His Life and Times - Robert Creamer
Babe: The Legend Comes to Life - Robert Creamer
Walter Johnson: Baseball's Big Train - Henry Thomas

Fiction

The Celebrant (without a doubt, anyone collecting old cards who's read this would agree, it's THE BEST)

I've read almost everything read in this thread so far... these I've mentioned I stand behind. Sowell's book July 2, 1903 is about so MUCH MORE than Delehanty... it covers the contract jumping between the leargues and the Genises of the current 2 league system we have today; the book gives the reader a foundation for baseball as it was just before the days of the T206 cards. If you think Rose and Jackson belong in the Hall and you're close-minded certain about that, then don't bother with The Fix is In. It is only for truth seekers who want to understand what happened; about the early day efforts to rid the sport of gamblers, and segments about most of the various gambling scandals of the sport. (Although for a quick fix on understanding why Jackson stays out, read Bill Lamb's article on Jackson, see SABR's Baseball Research Journal, 2019, Vol 48, #1.)

Lorewalker 01-10-2023 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadballfreaK (Post 2303099)
Like many have said "The Glory of Their Times" is the bast baseball book of all time. I just want to say if you have not listened to the audio version you are missing out! After listening to the actual voices of the old timers I fell in love with some of them. Chief Meyers, Hans Lobert, Sam Crawford etc. Jimmy Austen! What a sweet funny guy. Always chuckling. Well, I have to quit and go listen to it again.

Absolutely has to be the best book to listen to.

EddieP 01-11-2023 02:24 AM

Bang the Drum Slowly

carlsonjok 01-11-2023 04:28 AM

Since it wasn't already mentioned: The Last Hero: A Life of Henry Aaron by Howard Bryant.

egri 01-11-2023 04:59 AM

The Summer of '49 and The Teammates.

Georj 01-11-2023 05:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
"Baseball when the grass was real" by Donald Honig. It is like the second version of "Glory of their Times"

bgar3 01-11-2023 05:33 AM

33rd inning has not been mentioned yet.

JollyElm 01-11-2023 05:39 AM

"The Bronx Zoo" by Sparky Lyle.

obcbobd 01-11-2023 06:10 AM

The Fireside Book of Baseball, edited by Charles Einstein. A collection of first person accounts, newspaper game accounts, articles and essays on Baseball. There were three volumes and a fourth which is a summary of the first three. First came out in the 1950's. Nothing else comes close.

AMPduppp 01-11-2023 06:29 AM

I’ve thoroughly enjoyed Edward Achorn’s writing. I see his one on Old Hoss Radbourne has already been mentioned so I’d add “The Summer of Beer and Whiskey” about the rise of the American Association and Chris Von der Ache’s wild St Louis Browns.

tobychin 01-11-2023 06:30 AM

Books

Who's Who in Major League Baseball by Harold (Speed) Johnson

davidb 01-11-2023 06:49 AM

https://www.esquire.com/entertainmen...ll-books-ever/

58pinson 01-11-2023 07:13 AM

Haven't seen this one mentioned yet. I found it fascinating and filled with a lot of behind the scenes anecdotes that I was totally unfamiliar with.

Lords Of the Realm: The Real History Of Baseball, by Lawrence Helyar.

Leon 01-11-2023 07:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't read much....my favorite baseball book.

tonyo 01-11-2023 09:17 AM

I liked

"If I never get back" by Daryl Brock

(fiction)

riggs336 01-11-2023 09:34 AM

I like any book by Bill James, but I've read "The Politics of Glory" (reissued as "Whatever Happened to the Hall of Fame?") at least eight times.

MantleMarisFordBerra 01-11-2023 09:42 AM

Another vote for Glory Of Their Times. And was happy to see Summer of '49 mentioned, what a great book the truly puts you inside the great pennant race between The Yankees & Red Sox.

A few I recommend but haven't seen mentioned yet are:
I Had a Hammer by Hank Aaron
Closer by Mariano Rivera
Lefty by Verona Gomez and Lawrence Goldstone

frankbmd 01-11-2023 09:57 AM

I always add

The Universal Baseball Association Inc., J. Henry Waugh Prop.

by Robert Coover

to these threads.

Dice driven board games have been largely overcome by video games, so the appeal of of this book written in 1968 is waning with younger readers.

APBAlcoholics can relate better to the foundation of Waugh’s obsession, but it is more than just another baseball book.

I reread it every twenty years;).

Yoda 01-11-2023 12:01 PM

"Fear Strikes Out" by Jimmy Piersall.

JeremyW 01-11-2023 12:22 PM

Walter Johnson "Baseball's Big Train" by Henry Thomas. I'm currently reading a Ted Williams book titled "Hitter" by Ed Linn.

jingram058 01-11-2023 03:52 PM

Everything mentioned in the posts above.

I would add the "Who's Who In The Major Leagues" annual series. These are like opening up a time warp into 1930s/40s baseball...pictures and bios, useful but not overwhelming stats, and excellent editorials...and dog-eared copies cost next to nothing.

lampertb 01-11-2023 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveWhite (Post 2303079)
Big Hair and Plastic Grass-A Funny Ride Through Baseball and America in the Swinging '70's
By Dan Epstein

Yes, love that one, alongside "Talkin' Baseball: An Oral History of Baseball in the 1970s" by Phil Pepe.

I am surprised that no one has yet mentioned "56: Joe DiMaggio and the Last Magic Number in Sports," which is an outstanding read!