Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Mays opinion please (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=347509)

theshleps 03-18-2024 06:36 PM

Mays opinion please

1 Attachment(s)
thanks in advance for your opinion
Attachment 614909

tlake22 03-18-2024 06:50 PM

Mays

Mays is always a hard one for me because it is relatively easy to reproduce. That being said, I would have no reservations about owning this. It's not the prettiest sharpie sign I have seen but I believe its good.

Kzoo 03-19-2024 05:23 AM

Good, IMO. Looks just like my signed '59 Topps.

theshleps 03-19-2024 10:43 AM

thanks guys, anyone else?

Duluth Eskimo 03-19-2024 11:05 AM

I think it’s good as well, but if it doesn’t get in a holder it’s worthless

7nohitter 03-19-2024 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo (Post 2420716)
I think it’s good as well, but if it doesn’t get in a holder it’s worthless

Disagree. It's a good signature, definitely not worthless.

Duluth Eskimo 03-21-2024 03:48 PM

The ONLY thing people care about with signed cards is if it gets in a PSA dual graded holder so we agree to disagree.

BillyCoxDodgers3B 03-22-2024 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo (Post 2421296)
The ONLY thing people care about with signed cards is if it gets in a PSA dual graded holder so we agree to disagree.

We usually agree on things, but stray here.

As someone who regularly sells unslabbed, unauthenticated signed cards of every sort and value, I can assure you that what you say is not the case. Will less people be interested without the plastic tomb? Sure. Sometimes a slower sell? Yep. Still many interested buyers? Most assuredly. Will I still ultimately get my price? Of course. I wouldn't be able to exist if I didn't. Frankly, the only authenticated material of any type that I may have is just stuff that came to me in that state. I don't spend a dime on authentication. I offer a guarantee that anything will pass a "reputable" TPA, but only because today's industry dictates that I have to do that much. I'm more comfortable with my own assessments on anything I offer, but what can you do?

If I have to wait a little longer to make that sale, I can afford to. I also don't drop my price whenever somebody plays the "It's not in a PSA slab, so it's worth a fraction of your asking price" game. These people can assuredly get lost.

BillyCoxDodgers3B 03-22-2024 07:25 AM

But, to give some obvious leeway to your side, if I had a very valuable signed card that would make most sense to consign to an auction house, I'm certainly not going to argue against them having it slabbed! :D

JimStinson 03-23-2024 08:32 AM

Mays

A-OK looks like one from the old card show days. Willie sure was a pleasant chap to meet in person :)

Duluth Eskimo 03-23-2024 08:30 PM

My comments are not directed at Michael. He is going to be handsomely rewarded when it comes time to sell all those autographed cards you have in your collection, most of which were probably obtained before the craziness took over. It’s absolutely insane what people are paying for signed PSA dual slabbed cards right now, especially Willie. A guy who happens to lead the list of worst in person athletes I’ve ever met and that number is in the hundreds.

theshleps 03-23-2024 09:50 PM

Yes the majority were before the craziness and they will be past on to my sons. Even when I was getting stuff slabbed I never did a dual slab. Was never interested and still am not in card or autograph grades. If I have done anything in the past few years it was JSA. The whole investor and flipping that goes on has made the hobby less fun, more expensive and in some cases less trust worthy. I'd like to go back to the days of dealers like Max and more recently Ron Gordon and others who now work for TPAs. All we have left is my buddy Jim Stinson, Rich Simon and a few others. The camaraderie between us old time collectors is great. When ever I get outbid making a fair offer and then see the winner double the price and put the item on ebay 3 weeks later it makes me contemplate getting out, as does all the forgeries etc. I feel the vast majority on this board are of great integrity and I am thankful for you all