Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Normally black and white cards showing up with color?? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=223892)

shammus 06-12-2016 09:44 PM

Normally black and white cards showing up with color??

1 Attachment(s)
Had a friend ask me recently about my experience with the green f50 Harrington's Earl Smith. For those that don't know, that's from the 1928 Harrington's set - normally a black and white set - but for some reason, the Earl Smith card came out all green.

I realize that there's plenty of cards out there that are missing color passes and even some cards that should have full color that you see the very scarce black & white version of. But my question is, how often do you see cards where a color pass has been ADDED, not subtracted during the final print run?

I have one here...a 1923 w572 that has a red tint for some reason or another. Any other colorized examples of B&W cards out there? Any theories as to why they'd have the color added?

Attachment 234735

shammus 06-12-2016 09:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the green f50....notice green image on the front and all green text on the back. Seems like this card was a promotion or giveaway at one point ....can't remember why they chose to make it green though.

Attachment 234738

Leon 06-13-2016 07:44 AM

I think I had that red strip card. I always really loved it but I think I loved it more than anyone else. :eek: It might have been a trial run, or one off, to see what they would look like in color.

\
Quote:

Originally Posted by shammus (Post 1549976)
Had a friend ask me recently about my experience with the green f50 Harrington's Earl Smith. For those that don't know, that's from the 1928 Harrington's set - normally a black and white set - but for some reason, the Earl Smith card came out all green.

I realize that there's plenty of cards out there that are missing color passes and even some cards that should have full color that you see the very scarce black & white version of. But my question is, how often do you see cards where a color pass has been ADDED, not subtracted during the final print run?

I have one here...a 1923 w572 that has a red tint for some reason or another. Any other colorized examples of B&W cards out there? Any theories as to why they'd have the color added?

Attachment 234735

DaveW 06-13-2016 08:45 AM

The Earl Smith Harrington card was the chase card for the set - the one that kept you from winning a gallon of ice cream. Bob Lempke's blog from September 2009 had a good write up about it when Heritage was trying to sell one for $40k. There were a few different theories about why it was green but nobody is really sure. Nice card - yours must be worth a lot now.

shammus 06-13-2016 09:41 AM

The one shown in the scan is the one I had, but no longer have. When that whole thing with Heritage went down, I happened to already have a 2nd example already sitting in my collection. If I recall correctly, they hyped it, started it at 40k, then the auction was pulled. I can't remember if Heritage ever sold that example but I do remember that when an example of that card was finally sold at auction, it only went for 2k if memory serves. I traded mine right as all the hype was going on that surrounded the card initially.

shammus 06-13-2016 09:43 AM

Heh, Leon, I remember you beat me for the red w572 when it came up for auction initially, several years ago. I think you and I were the only ones bidding on it seriously though. I had a much easier time winning it once you were the one selling it and not competing against me for it :)