Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Question for ticket/stub collectors (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=245380)

Leon 09-30-2017 09:42 AM

Somehow I don't think this annual (season) pass holder went to a window to get his 1st World Series ticket. My guess is that he showed this to someone at the gate and they let him in. But hopefully someone knows for sure? I am not positive. Interesting subject.

http://luckeycards.com/ppass1903al.jpg

RedsFan1941 09-30-2017 01:31 PM

annual passes typically were not valid for entry to the world series

mcgwirecom 09-30-2017 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1705937)
Somehow I don't think this annual (season) pass holder went to a window to get his 1st World Series ticket. My guess is that he showed this to someone at the gate and they let him in. But hopefully someone knows for sure? I am not positive. Interesting subject.

http://luckeycards.com/ppass1903al.jpg

Leon, if he walked in with that pass where did he sit? They still have to assign you a seat. A pass is not a season ticket entitling you to a certain seat.

oaks1912 09-30-2017 03:07 PM

There are several types of passes used at professional sporting events. As far as baseball is concerned, they are issued to active players, club and league personnel, media, and selected VIP'S. Additionally there are passes issued for one specific game, for one specific team, for a league, and some which allow admittance to a number of leagues. . There are also general passes , example is a LIfetime pass issued to select executives and players. The illustrated American League pass would entitle the bearer to entrance into an American League park during a specific season.

I cannot speak to the policies prior to World War 2, but in modern times, these various passes are presented at either the press gate / window or in some cases at will call. The pass is released to club personnel , is recorded, and the bearer is presented with one ticket (sometimes more at the discretion of the team). In most cases the passes are returned to the bearer at the same time. Certain one time use or day passes are retained by the teams for accounting purposes. In modern times, all authentic passes will have a number on them to allow for easier inter-office accounting. In some cases the bearer will be responsible for any taxes.

Passes should NEVER be considered as tickets, as there is no guarantee how many, or which, games were attended by the person issued the pass. There is a restriction that these passes are not to be used for All-Star or championship games, and there are many 'unwritten' rules regarding their use. Most people who are granted the passes understand this, and if they do not understand the rules; and violate them; they may lose the privilege . To be a ticket it has to state a seat or (general admission) section where the person will be watching the game from.

Leon 09-30-2017 03:42 PM

Thanks guys.....still seems this pass might have gotten the holder to a 1903 WS game if not a specific seat? It says ALL GROUNDS 1903, I dunno.
I will have to do some research on early passes to see if they would have entitled the holder of this pass to those games, unless someone knows for sure?

yankeesjetsfan 10-02-2017 09:40 AM

I have never really been a ticket collector, just saving tickets from games I attended. However, there are games I'd love to try & get tickets for like Game 6 of the 1977 World Series, June 1st (my first game), Pine Tar Game, etc.

I was in attendace for Aaron Judge's record breaking game where he hit 2 home runs to break Mark McGuire's Rookie Home Run Record so I started thinking about collecting the tickets for every game he homered this season. Someone did bring up a great point where there may not be tickets because clubs aren't issuing tickets ahead of time, thus making the task a bit more difficult. I will still try. Where can I look to see the games Judge homered this season?

Thanks,

Mike

pherbener 10-02-2017 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yankeesjetsfan (Post 1706605)
I have never really been a ticket collector, just saving tickets from games I attended. However, there are games I'd love to try & get tickets for like Game 6 of the 1977 World Series, June 1st (my first game), Pine Tar Game, etc.

I was in attendace for Aaron Judge's record breaking game where he hit 2 home runs to break Mark McGuire's Rookie Home Run Record so I started thinking about collecting the tickets for every game he homered this season. Someone did bring up a great point where there may not be tickets because clubs aren't issuing tickets ahead of time, thus making the task a bit more difficult. I will still try. Where can I look to see the games Judge homered this season?

Thanks,

Mike

Here you go!
https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...=judgeaa01&t=b

yankeesjetsfan 10-02-2017 12:19 PM

Thanks Paul. I appreciate the help.

Mike

stlcardinalsfan 10-02-2017 06:40 PM

Passes

I tend to disagree that passes aren't tickets. I agree that league annual passes to see specific events are a stretch but team issued passes are great collectibles. Most passses were given to press or dignataries. They could find a seat I.e. General admission (bleachers) press row etc. or section designed for their seating. If your important enough to have a pass it isn't hard to find a seat. I think for example what press member operating in NY city wouldn't go to watch Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig hit homers during 1927 season or watch Jackie Robinson break the color barrier in 1947 or watch DiMaggio in 1941 during his streak.. I know that I got in on pass from my father being a baseball coach in the 1990s in St. Louis. I went to every game from 60 hr on in 1998 and never once was issued a ticket. We stood or found a seat that was empty. Also growing up in St. Louis area all bleachers were general admission until probably 1990. Just find a seat and sit. I would imagine that most stadiums weren't close to being full 1980s or earlier and had some general admission areas for regular season games.

RedsFan1941 10-02-2017 06:53 PM

as a ticket collector, i love season passes, both those issued by leagues and by teams, i just love them for what they are. and what they are not are a substitute, in my collecting, for a ticket to a specific game.