Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Mantle "Clubhouse" autographed ball question (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=213458)

timfsu2k 10-31-2015 03:39 PM

Mantle "Clubhouse" autographed ball question

I recently saw an auction for a Mantle signed ball that was deemed to be a clubhouse signature by PSA. I was shocked to see that this ball went for $230. Was this an anomaly or do these balls actually have value? It's basically a fake Mantle auto so I was very surprised that the bids went that high.

yanks12025 10-31-2015 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timfsu2k (Post 1467308)
I recently saw an auction for a Mantle signed ball that was deemed to be a clubhouse signature by PSA. I was shocked to see that this ball went for $230. Was this an anomaly or do these balls actually have value? It's basically a fake Mantle auto so I was very surprised that the bids went that high.

Well you said its a team ball. So it's still signed by all the other members of the team or at least most of them. A team ball will still have value without mantle.

UnVme7 10-31-2015 06:09 PM

Also too-- a clubhouse sig and a fake sig are completely different, to me anyways

timfsu2k 10-31-2015 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yanks12025 (Post 1467346)
Well you said its a team ball. So it's still signed by all the other members of the team or at least most of them. A team ball will still have value without mantle.

I didn't say it was a team ball.

timfsu2k 10-31-2015 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnVme7 (Post 1467351)
Also too-- a clubhouse sig and a fake sig are completely different, to me anyways

How so? Neither were signed by Mantle. Unless you look at it and determine that PSA made a mistake, which is entirely possible.

yanks12025 10-31-2015 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timfsu2k (Post 1467362)
I didn't say it was a team ball.

My fault, I thought it said team ball.

Never heard of a single signed clubhouse ball. Do you have a picture?

UnVme7 10-31-2015 08:10 PM

Oh, I thought it was a team signed ball as well. Then yeah, it's probably not a clubhouse sig? Just flat out forged?

thetruthisoutthere 10-31-2015 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timfsu2k (Post 1467308)

You cannnot post a thread like this without a photo or a link to the auction.

btcarfagno 11-01-2015 05:24 AM

The term "clubhouse signature" usually connotes visionsnof a team signed ball. Generally speaking, a single signed ball with a signature that is not done by the signor is simply referred to as a fake. I suppose some vintage single signed Ruth balls have been called "clubhouse" versions by major auction houses to lessen the blow of reality. They make a vintage fake sound slightly more appealing that way.

But a fake is a fake.

Because you called.it a clubhouse signature, most of us assumed it to be team signed.

Tom C

UnVme7 11-01-2015 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btcarfagno (Post 1467451)
The term "clubhouse signature" usually connotes visionsnof a team signed ball. Generally speaking, a single signed ball with a signature that is not done by the signor is simply referred to as a fake. I suppose some vintage single signed Ruth balls have been called "clubhouse" versions by major auction houses to lessen the blow of reality. They make a vintage fake sound slightly more appealing that way.

But a fake is a fake.

Because you called.it a clubhouse signature, most of us assumed it to be team signed.

Tom C

No doubt, a fake is a fake. But a clubhouse sig is different than a forged auto. But yes, let's see a link to the auction.

timfsu2k 11-01-2015 04:52 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. I made a mistake when reading the description on the auction. The Mantle was deemed authentic and the three other signatures (Frank Robinson, Ted Williams, and Yaz) were deemed "clubhouse" autos.

Auction was on Facebook so I don't know how to link it here.