Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   1871 J. A. Pierce & Company Discovery (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=78534)

Archive 09-30-2005 07:51 PM

1871 J. A. Pierce & Company Discovery

Posted By: <b>Bottom of the Ninth</b><p>Did anyone read this or know about this? <br /><br /><a href="http://www.psacard.com/articles/article_view.chtml?artid=4527&universeid=314&type= 1" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.psacard.com/articles/article_view.chtml?artid=4527&universeid=314&type= 1</a>

Archive 09-30-2005 08:00 PM

Posted By: <b>R.D. Cook</b><p>If P&S aren´t listed in Lemke´s big book, these should be left out too.

Archive 09-30-2005 09:40 PM

Posted By: <b>Brian H (misunderestimated)</b><p>I think I have seen these before (proabably TIKs table at some point, an old issue of VBC or something). I doubt they are "new to the hobby" -- someone else who reads the Board will know better.....<br /><br />Anyway, whomever had them (or perhaps REA) decided to have them graded by PSA.... Now they will probably command some bigger dollars because more people will think that they are "cards" and the population of interested collectors will increase significantly....<br /><br /><br /> Not a bad thing really, just people being smart when they want to sell so they can maximize their return.

Archive 09-30-2005 11:22 PM

Posted By: <b>ramram</b><p>Weren't some or all of these contained within Mark Rucker's Baseball Cartes book (I'm too lazy to go look it up right now)?<br /><br />Rob M.

Archive 10-01-2005 05:14 AM

Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>Yes, they are pictured in Mark's book, and I've owned one or two over the years. They have been known for a while, but REA is offering them as a group for the first time, so it is a nice little find.

Archive 10-01-2005 08:52 AM

Posted By: <b>Hal Lewis</b><p>Barry:<br /><br />Do you know whether they are going to be sold as a "group" or individually??<br /><br />Surely they will sell them individually (hopefully).

Archive 10-01-2005 09:08 AM

Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>I never got a chance to ask Rob, but I can. My guess is individually. Not everyone wants them all.

Archive 10-01-2005 09:21 AM

Posted By: <b>RobertEdwardAuctions</b><p>The four CDVs pictured in Mark Rucker’s book are the very same four that are referenced by REA as being in the collection of the Chicago Historical Society. Because there are no illustrations of the backs of the cards in Mark’s book, it was never clear that these were a card issue. (Presumably the reverses of those examples have the same advertising for J. A. Pierce & Co. Sporting Goods, though we are not yet certain. The Chicago Historical Society examples may be samples from the photographer, which means that the backs, like the fronts, may be slightly different than others). There have been several J.A. Pierce & Co. cards that have surfaced over the years, but to the best of my knowledge all have been the Chicago team. That is why Chicago is the only team listed in The Standard Catalog and for years it was assumed that this was probably a “one card set.” This seemed all the more reasonable in light of the fact that J. A. Pierce was a sporting goods company located in Chicago. When these four cards were recently discovered, it was exciting for me to learn that these cards were part of an actual set featuring all major league teams, issued by a Chicago sporting goods company during the very first year of the National Association in 1871. I am unaware of any other teams that have ever surfaced. If anyone has information about others, we would very much like to learn about them, both for The Standard Catalog checklist of known teams, and to reference in our auction catalog description. The cards will be offered individually.<br /><br />Sincerely,<br /><br />Robert Lifson<br /><br />Robert Edward Auctions<br /><br />www.RobertEdwardAuctions.com

Archive 10-01-2005 09:44 AM

Posted By: <b>Daniel Bretta</b><p>Does anyone have a better photo of these? You can barely see them on the PSA page.

Archive 10-01-2005 09:59 AM

Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>I've handled two different copies of the Chicago one, and if memory serves, both had reverse advertising. Rob is right that although all are pictured in Mark's book, only Chicago has been offered for sale (is it possible a Boston one was too- I may be wrong).

Semitar6 07-19-2011 02:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I actualy have one of these cards, although I didnt know much about its history...

autograf 07-19-2011 03:00 PM

looks pretty suspect.......Buck Weaver D310? card with a J.A. Pierce back.............things that make you go hmmm..........I vote Frankencard

barrysloate 07-19-2011 03:05 PM

That's preposterous. It's a 1911 front with an 1871 back.

slidekellyslide 07-19-2011 03:24 PM

That's not Buck Weaver, that's Buck's grandfather O. F. Weaver who photographed himself.

uffda51 07-19-2011 03:46 PM

Taken with his iPhone . . .

Semitar6 07-19-2011 03:50 PM

It is O.F. Wheeler, its printed right on the lower left of the card

canjond 07-19-2011 04:09 PM

I believe the lower left should say Weaver S.F.

Matthew H 07-19-2011 04:14 PM

I hope you didn't pay real dollars for that...

benchod 07-19-2011 05:23 PM

[QUOTE=Semitar6;910280] It is O.F. Wheeler, its printed right on the lower left of the card[/QUOTE

Is there a full moon out?

autograf 07-19-2011 05:45 PM

No but if you look right over O F Weavers shoulder you can see Uranus......
Couldn't resist.....childish, I know. Looks like one of those, "my grandpa gave it to me on his deathbed" resale cards.....

Leon 07-19-2011 07:52 PM

Weaver

That Weaver is way too washed out looking. Even though this one has a bit of paper damage near his name (only the "F" affected) you can tell it's a much more focused and clear card. From the Trucker Boy find....

http://luckeycards.com/pd310weaver.jpg