Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   PSA 8 1955 Topps Clemente.... STOLEN! (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=258876)

danmckee 08-19-2018 12:50 PM

PSA 8 1955 Topps Clemente.... STOLEN!

2 Attachment(s)
Hello fellow collectors, A dear friend of mine had a PSA 8 1955 Topps Clemente Rookie STOLEN out of his show case at the East Coast National this weekend (The White Plains NY Show).

This is the only picture I have so far and I am sure the POS scumbag that took it will be busting it out but the flip # is 04011378.

Please keep your eyes open, any help is appreciated.

Dan Mckee

[ATTACH]326232[/ATTACH

Attachment 326232

Attachment 326593

calvindog 08-19-2018 12:55 PM

Dan, were you at the show today?

Jay Wolt 08-19-2018 12:58 PM

I hate hearing about this, hopefully the card makes it back to the dealer & the bum gets jail time

Republicaninmass 08-19-2018 01:01 PM

I was there today, I guess theft was prevalent this weekend. Talk of the town was the Clemente though

rdwyer 08-19-2018 01:03 PM

I don't understand how easily these things are getting stolen. I'd keep all cases locked at all times. I'd only open one case at a time, and not let the customer handle any of the cards until he asked for a particular one. I'd then only let him handle one at a time. Everyone else can wait.

danmckee: If you know how it was stolen, please share.. I'm sure others here would want to know.

CurtisFlood 08-19-2018 01:19 PM

Very sad. The thieving scum bag will likely break it out and replace with a lesser card and try to sell it as a PSA8, then get the stolen card regraded . I'd like to see this stopped, but only total vigilance will get that done. Keep cases locked at all times unless showing an individual card as stated by another poster. The more eyes you have on your inventory at a show the better.

danmckee 08-19-2018 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 1805365)
Dan, were you at the show today?

No I did not attend Jeff

danmckee 08-19-2018 01:37 PM

I rarely lock my cases at shows though I have so much crap that if they steal something from me, I may not know it.

Also, I wouldn't want to catch anyone stealing from me as I may beat $250,000.00 out of them as that is what My dad had stolen at the 1991 Anaheim National.

My friend is 75 years old, keeps his cases locked but got side tracked and forgot to lock this one after showing a card. He then bought 4 cards from a young man and I believe turned his back to price them and sleeve them and that is when he says he heard a case lid closing. He turned and know one was there.

Truly sad that people have to steal.

Dan Mckee

slidekellyslide 08-19-2018 01:38 PM

Time for dealers to start setting up camera systems all around their tables. They aren't that expensive compared to the inventory some of these dealers carry.

danmckee 08-19-2018 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 1805382)
Time for dealers to start setting up camera systems all around their tables. They aren't that expensive compared to the inventory some of these dealers carry.

That is really a great idea and cameras are small and light weight and can be used with your phone.

rdwyer 08-19-2018 01:48 PM

A camera system would be great. But the thief would be long gone before reviewing any footage. You would need cameras plus a monitor. I recommend a monitor because you'll have a bigger picture. Or you could review on your iPhone, etc.

Your friend was doing everything right. It's a shame he lost that card.

I can help anyone who needs help setting up a Camera system with DVR. I recommend Swann security systems. Easy to setup, and use.

Johnny630 08-19-2018 01:50 PM

Scum bag !

I heard some person at this show was caught stealing and arrested by the local police. I also head this guy had a dealer pass. First off is this true, did he have a dealer pass?? How are these people getting dealer passes ??

clydepepper 08-19-2018 01:51 PM

to think only a few days ago there was a thread ripe with complaints about Security Guards and their Dogs at the National.

That theft never should have happened...but an opportunity was seen...and so it goes.

bigfish 08-19-2018 02:00 PM

Yes

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny630 (Post 1805393)
Scum bag !

I heard some person at this show was caught stealing and arrested by the local police. I also head this guy had a dealer pass. First off is this true, did he have a dealer pass?? How are these people getting dealer passes ??

The guy caught stealing on Friday did have a dealer pass. A dealer at the front of the room chased the dude down. Not security.

I know several dealers who won’t do this show because they have been clipped for 1000s worth of stuff. It’s sad.

The dealer who had the 8 Clemente stolen is one of the nicest people you would ever meet. Very sad.

Johnny630 08-19-2018 02:10 PM

Big fish I commend the dealer who apprehended the suspect.
Well done !
How did the suspect get a dealer pass ???

bigfish 08-19-2018 02:14 PM

Dealer pass

I do not know where the theif got the dealer pass. I can only assume another dealer gave who he thought was a collector a badge.

I also commend the dealer who sprinted after the dude and caught him. He deserves a good star and perhaps a sheriffs badge- not joking. Glad someone helped bring a theif to handcuffs.

RedsFan1941 08-19-2018 02:16 PM

you don’t exactly have to pass a background check to get a dealers pass. if you think everyone wearing a dealers pass has the same morals you do, you’re mistaking.

Johnny630 08-19-2018 02:25 PM

No Ronnie I’m just trying to figure out a way to have this practice pointed out as being a potential contributing factor to the recent thefts. I’ve potinted this out before that people who aren’t actively set up at a table should not be allowed to have a dealer pass unless they pay for a table. Maybe it just might curtail some larceny. Idk

ruth_rookie 08-19-2018 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danmckee (Post 1805381)
My friend is 75 years old... got side tracked and forgot to lock this one after showing a card. He then bought 4 cards from a young man and I believe turned his back to price them and sleeve them and that is when he says he heard a case lid closing. He turned and know one was there.

I’m not saying this is what happened, so if you’re the guy who sold the cards don’t get pissed at me for pure speculation. But could the scam possibly include the guy selling the card in an effort to distract the dealer? A team effort?

rdwyer 08-19-2018 02:36 PM

Back to what I said before. Only one card out at a time. Never let a customer open a case. It should be locked even when showing off one card. This would make it very hard to steal something top dollar. This is how Coin Dealers & Jewelers do it.

NotVader 08-19-2018 04:02 PM

cameras?

I have never been to the White Plains venue but wondering if there are cameras there? No security staff? How does the dealer not have video from the auditorium for an insurance claim perhaps
As far as the Dealer Pass topic it seems as if those credentials are shared by more than one person--multiple people using same necklace with show promoter oblivious.

Cmount76 08-19-2018 04:03 PM

I regularly attend the White Plains show, which I happen to love, and can unfortunately attest to the fact that there have been more stolen items than I care to admit. And they always seem to be taken from good people.

The "dealer" that got caught on Friday was seen and apprehended very quickly as a husband and wife team quickly ran him down.

Interestingly enough, there is a dealer in the back corner by the stage who regularly sets-up, and he happily displays a sign that reads "Smile, you're on camera".

It's sad that that has become our reality, but unfortunately, more should follow suit.

Johnny630 08-19-2018 04:16 PM

off duty police employed by dealers may be the next step. I’d gladly do it.

ncinin 08-19-2018 04:46 PM

Thief caught at White Plains

Does anyone know the name of who was caught in White Plains? I don't setup there but I do setup at Valley Forge and there are alot of the same people attend each show. If the person attends Valley Forge it would be nice to know of their history.

slidekellyslide 08-19-2018 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdwyer (Post 1805390)
A camera system would be great. But the thief would be long gone before reviewing any footage. You would need cameras plus a monitor. I recommend a monitor because you'll have a bigger picture. Or you could review on your iPhone, etc.

I can help anyone who needs help setting up a Camera system with DVR. I recommend Swann security systems. Easy to setup, and use.

They may be gone by the time you realize it, but if you have them recorded there's a chance they will be apprehended. Post the footage all over the internet chat boards and facebook and someone will likely know the thief.

edited to add: my brother caught two kids shoplifting today at our store because he was watching them on camera from his office.

1952boyntoncollector 08-19-2018 05:51 PM

would be nice for SGC and PSA to post a stolen card section for high dollar cards...

be on the lookout ....like a $30k card would qualify...so if someone was checking on a psa 8 clemeente rookie..they would be told there was a one stolen.....which would hamper the re-sale a ton...and maybe prevent future thefts..

Donscards 08-19-2018 06:14 PM

I was set up at the White Plains show this weekend and there was more stealing going up than ever---I caught one person putting a less expensive card in his pant pockets and told him to empty his pocket, he said he didn't want to lose it so he put it in his pocket!!!--also had $450 worth of cards stolen that were returned to me (from the Ex-Dealer stealing all day Friday)--they came out of my half price boxes---you just cant see everything when talking to collectors or selling---I didn't even know the cards were gone until promoter talked to me--dealer behind me had maybe $1000 stolen--plus many other dealers were hit---but the Clemente was the big hit---and yes, it is a shame---This hurts all of us in the hobby---and the show does have a private security person walking around all day--but that really doesn't seem to help in such a huge place. Anyway, I hope by some small chance, the card is recovered, but who knows. Really wish we could all get a piece of this guy.

1952boyntoncollector 08-19-2018 06:20 PM

So having to deal with theft would be one more reason why sellers at shows many times have to charge more than ebay where you hear plenty of people on this board complain about the prices. I can certainly understand all of the costs and time and fees for a show, and on top of that dealing with theft as the reason for these prices..

i am seeing less and less reasons for dealers to take the time and go to shows. Shows are the backbone of the hobby as well...

irv 08-19-2018 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector (Post 1805531)
So having to deal with theft would be one more reason why sellers at shows many times have to charge more than ebay where you hear plenty of people on this board complain about the prices. I can certainly understand all of the costs and time and fees for a show, and on top of that dealing with theft as the reason for these prices..

I am seeing less and less reasons for dealers to take the time and go to shows. Shows are the backbone of the hobby as well...

Good point. Not sure how many would want to return to any show if thievery is prevalent, or becoming more so it seems at these shows.

chalupacollects 08-19-2018 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdwyer (Post 1805390)

You can also put sensors on the case that would beep when opened if you are not the person with the sensor that disarms the beeper...sort of like a swipe card for automatic gates....

The downside to all this is dealers may be charged extra to run electricity to their booths... sucks...

I never witness this at WP show and have been going since Rothstein days...:mad:

lowpopper 08-19-2018 07:07 PM

White Plains

I love the white plains show. It is one of the better card events in this region of the country. A lot happened this weekend but at least a portion of the negativity was thwarted by dealer-teamwork. Let's continue to be vigilant and find the missing Clemente (and my Mantle for that matter). The guy who got the Clemente robbed is truly one of the nicest people I know in the card world. Everybody keep your ears and eyes open. These high profile cards can't hide forever.

Peter_Spaeth 08-19-2018 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector (Post 1805519)
would be nice for SGC and PSA to post a stolen card section for high dollar cards...

be on the lookout ....like a $30k card would qualify...so if someone was checking on a psa 8 clemeente rookie..they would be told there was a one stolen.....which would hamper the re-sale a ton...and maybe prevent future thefts..

Highly unlikely anyone is going to try to move that card in that holder.

Jewish-collector 08-19-2018 07:30 PM

One thing the grading card industry could do would be drill a hole in the top of the slab and put one of those computer locks and attach it to the table or dealers show case or such. That would prevent the casual stolen card. If the thief cuts the wire, a very loud alarm goes off. Maybe security could close all doors right then and search everyone in the room...

irv 08-19-2018 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish-collector (Post 1805575)
One thing the grading card industry could do would be drill a hole in the top of the slab and put one of those computer locks and attach it to the table or dealers show case or such. That would prevent the casual stolen card. If the thief cuts the wire, a very loud alarm goes off. Maybe security could close all doors right then and search everyone in the room...

I thought of the same thing, have the TPG's place a small, reinforced metal grommet in their slabs so sellers could chain/tether/cable their cards to their cases or tables.

I know most suggestions are likely too hard to implement but nothing will ever change, and maybe get worse, if we all just sit on our hands.

1952boyntoncollector 08-19-2018 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1805561)
Highly unlikely anyone is going to try to move that card in that holder.

right but the picture is there that may have some traits..so if someone was selling me an 8 with another cert number..i may check the 'attention stolen card' section on psa and see similarities with the former cert number

maddux311 08-19-2018 10:36 PM

High dollar

Something like this could be used for high dollar items. While it may block part of the card when put on, it could be removed for the right customer. If someone tries to cut the wires without disengaging the alarm, it will continually sound off. Not the best solution, but the appearance of antitheft devices would be a deterrent within itself.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alpha-Alarm...gAAOSwYUdbM-PZ

danmckee 08-20-2018 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector (Post 1805603)
right but the picture is there that may have some traits..so if someone was selling me an 8 with another cert number..i may check the 'attention stolen card' section on psa and see similarities with the former cert number

Or a 6 or 7.... No guarantee the card gets an 8 again. Grading isn't always consistent as we are all human

danmckee 08-20-2018 05:31 AM

Keep your eyes peeled and concentrate on the centering. The card may also be sold raw.... remember the current owner of the card has absolutely nothing in it.

danmckee 08-20-2018 05:38 AM

Also would someone be so kind as to post this story and picture on the PSA chat board and LTS chat board?

many thanks to all of you, your time and efforts are appreciated.

Dan Mckee

JustinD 08-20-2018 08:05 AM

I will keep an eye out for your friend Dan and I have my hopes up that such a recognizable card can be found. I would keep an eye out for sgc cases too, as it can be easy to send it for crossover to avoid a grade drop. Maybe contact sgc and bvg as a heads up with the cert.

As to all the James Bond expensive solutions that keep popping up in the thread, they seem pretty far fetched for the average card dealer. Let's be realistic here, for less than 75 bucks a piece someone could put two go-pros covering the entire table from behind and have film to turn over to the authorities. Have this at just 15-20% of tables and the culprits would likely turn up on several cams at different times as they walked to and from. Cake walk fix.

They may even get away, but could be id'ed easily after the fact.

RedsFan1941 08-20-2018 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny630 (Post 1805410)
No Ronnie I’m just trying to figure out a way to have this practice pointed out as being a potential contributing factor to the recent thefts. I’ve potinted this out before that people who aren’t actively set up at a table should not be allowed to have a dealer pass unless they pay for a table. Maybe it just might curtail some larceny. Idk

unless the card was stolen at a time of the show during which only people with dealer passes were admitted, the dealer pass has little if anything to do with the theft. i understand you don’t like non dealers having dealer passes.

CurtisFlood 08-20-2018 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donscards (Post 1805529)
I was set up at the White Plains show this weekend and there was more stealing going up than ever---I caught one person putting a less expensive card in his pant pockets and told him to empty his pocket, he said he didn't want to lose it so he put it in his pocket!!!--also had $450 worth of cards stolen that were returned to me (from the Ex-Dealer stealing all day Friday)--they came out of my half price boxes---you just cant see everything when talking to collectors or selling---I didn't even know the cards were gone until promoter talked to me--dealer behind me had maybe $1000 stolen--plus many other dealers were hit---but the Clemente was the big hit---and yes, it is a shame---This hurts all of us in the hobby---and the show does have a private security person walking around all day--but that really doesn't seem to help in such a huge place. Anyway, I hope by some small chance, the card is recovered, but who knows. Really wish we could all get a piece of this guy.

Don, enjoyed meeting you at the National and wish I had more time to look at your cards. It is a shame we have to be so cautious with our inventory, it is a fine line between being careful and putting off potential buyers with too much scrutiny. Something has to be done, just not sure what.

bdecsports 08-20-2018 11:20 AM

Dan, what day was the Clemente stolen? The guy arrested on Friday up there was David Festberg..old-time hobbyist and had a store in Brooklyn back in the day, but now on to other things apparently.

Hope the card turns-up from the attention this is getting.

Regards,

Bryan Dec

hcv123 08-20-2018 12:41 PM

Holy crap!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdecsports (Post 1805736)
Dan, what day was the Clemente stolen? The guy arrested on Friday up there was David Festberg..old-time hobbyist and had a store in Brooklyn back in the day, but now on to other things apparently.

Regards,

Bryan Dec

:eek::eek::eek: Dave was a long time dealer. I was speaking with another dealer who had purchased stuff from him at the show - hope it was legit! I did business with him a long time ago. I think he also ran auctions for a short time. So sad that he chose to resort to this.

Just found this old thread too:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=61226

Looks like not the first time and not just cards

https://www.facebook.com/ulsterpolic...9207142143802/

ullmandds 08-20-2018 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdecsports (Post 1805736)

Regards,

Bryan Dec

Dave F was a dick to me at a show many years ago...karma's a bitch!

savedfrommyspokes 08-20-2018 01:00 PM

Speaking of old Festberg threads, the irony of post #12 in this one:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=92635

Marchillo 08-20-2018 01:02 PM

Oh the irony

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1986/07...3129522302400/

clydepepper 08-20-2018 01:08 PM

Coming soon to a town near you:

Background checks and waiting periods required for '52 Mantle purchases.

I'm almost kidding. :rolleyes:

Buythatcard 08-20-2018 01:20 PM

It would be nice to be able to come up with the same technology that department stores use in the clothing department. A small tag can be mounted to the back of the slab which would set off an alarm when the card passed thru a spot which reads the tag. Security would also be positioned at these areas where the tag is read.

The dealer would have a means to remove the tag when the card is sold.

Steve D 08-20-2018 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danmckee (Post 1805652)
Also would someone be so kind as to post this story and picture on the PSA chat board and LTS chat board?

many thanks to all of you, your time and efforts are appreciated.

Dan Mckee

Link posted on PSA message board.

Steve